Hello

My first post here. Hello to all.

I am a keen DIY nut who likes to build and mod. I know enough to be dangerous but I am no electronics genius by any stretch of the imagination. Any other keen DIY'ers on this site ?

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Hi John.
    Welcome!
    Sounds like you enjoy a good tinker...
    In answer to your question: Yes! There's a few kindred spirits here. I'm probably at the lower end - I do a bit of speaker tweaking and modding. Old Goodmans and Wharfdales. Becoming a bit of an habit / obsession / addiction actually! :-D
    What's your current kit / projects...?
  • Thanks for the welcome.

Sources are a very modified Naim CD3.5 (4 psu's, flea clock, alwsr, gyrators etc etc) and a LP12 with Avondale taps2 psu, Naim Aro, Lyra Argo, Rubikon subchasis

Amps are DIY Avondale pre & TPR4 psu, four DIY Avondale voyager mono blocks with separate regulated psu for each front end and a very modified DIY phonostage . Interconnects are home made and speaker cable is Avondale blacklink.

Speakers are B&W P4 2 way transmission lines (bi amped) with crossover and wadding removed. Crossover is now on tufnol boards and sit right behind my power amps (6" of cable away). I also have a DIY speaker project in its very early stages.

Well current projects include well, all of it. I find nothing is ever truly finished. Always something to tinker with. The CD player has still work to do especially the opamps in the anologue stage and their psu's. Thinking of trying a separate psu (including transformer) and regulator for each opamp (6 in all) to see what effect that has if any. Lots of tracks to cut though and fiddly soldering to opamp legs which if I am honest does seem a little daunting.

My main projects of late have been to do with transformers (type, size) and their positioning in relation to other transformers, regulators and amplifying circuits. Currently attempting to try some very nice EI transformers in place of toroid on my pre amp and cd player. Going to play with some steel transformer EMI shielding . Oh and need to find a better phono stage.

Lots to do, not enough time. Work is the bane of the addicted diy audio nut.

JD

• Hi John. And welcome to Chews.

I'm a kind of streaming tweaker, I guess. With Raspberry Pis, Linux and various server installs on my NAS.

I'm planning to start on my first proper DIY build soon. One of Colin's SECA amps, or possibly more ;-)
  • edited May 2017
    johndear said:
    Thanks for the welcome.

Sources are a very modified Naim CD3.5 (4 psu's, flea clock, alwsr, gyrators etc etc) and a LP12 with Avondale taps2 psu, Naim Aro, Lyra Argo, Rubikon subchasis

Amps are DIY Avondale pre & TPR4 psu, four DIY Avondale voyager mono blocks with separate regulated psu for each front end and a very modified DIY phonostage . Interconnects are home made and speaker cable is Avondale blacklink.

Speakers are B&W P4 2 way transmission lines (bi amped) with crossover and wadding removed. Crossover is now on tufnol boards and sit right behind my power amps (6" of cable away). I also have a DIY speaker project in its very early stages.

Well current projects include well, all of it. I find nothing is ever truly finished. Always something to tinker with. The CD player has still work to do especially the opamps in the anologue stage and their psu's. Thinking of trying a separate psu (including transformer) and regulator for each opamp (6 in all) to see what effect that has if any. Lots of tracks to cut though and fiddly soldering to opamp legs which if I am honest does seem a little daunting.

My main projects of late have been to do with transformers (type, size) and their positioning in relation to other transformers, regulators and amplifying circuits. Currently attempting to try some very nice EI transformers in place of toroid on my pre amp and cd player. Going to play with some steel transformer EMI shielding . Oh and need to find a better phono stage.

Lots to do, not enough time. Work is the bane of the addicted diy audio nut.

JD

There was a bit of chat the other day re some speakers I've been working on about how many parts of a hifi broom one can change before it's not the original... Looks like your kit has evolved significantly! You're clearly a creative chap.
    Please feedback about the EI transformers. I have no experience of those.
    And, you're an Avondale man. I've read some good things about that. :-)
  • Yes, i love that Only fools & horses joke. I have masses of used and new parts clogging up my cupboards.

Will let you know about the EI transformers. They were bought from Les at Avondale audio as it happens. He has them specially made so am quite excited about trying them. They dont let as much mains noise through as toroids (apparently). 
  • Always good to have more tinkerers around!
    I haven't done any DIY of note for some while now. Time is indeed the enemy ;)