St James Infirmary Blues

I love the song, and am forever tripping over different versions. This afternoon, heard one by Yo Yo Ma, the Silk Road Ensemble and Rhiannon Giddens in Tidal's New Orleans Jazz Playlist.

The one that many people know well is by the White Stripes, that crops up on the Peaky Blinders soundtrack:

I don't know which version is my favourite - it's been recorded so many times. What's your favourite (or least liked) version?

Comments

• Oh come on. ;-) It's gotta be... :-)
  • Docfoster said:
    Oh come on. ;-) It's gotta be... :-)
    Yep. That's one of the more famous ones. Classic!
  • And, then, there's this:

Lots of disagreement on YT on its merits and demerits.
  • I was surprised at how good the Hugh Laurie version is. I've heard a few tinklings by him before but was most impressed by this.
    Other than that, and ignoring Louis Armstrong for now, I really like the version used in a Betty Boop cartoon.
  • .....Peaky Blinders, great series!
  • cj66 said:
    I was surprised at how good the Hugh Laurie version is. I've heard a few tinklings by him before but was most impressed by this. Other than that, and ignoring Louis Armstrong for now, I really like the version used in a Betty Boop cartoon.
    I've been carefully avoiding the Hugh Laurie version, but now I have to listen to it! :-)
  • cj66 said:
    .....Peaky Blinders, great series!
    It it just! I missed the first series - the BBC didn't convince me it was worth watching - but caught up on Netflix. I can't think of a TV series I've enjoyed more.

And, IMHO, the only time when music has been integrated into what's happening on the TV screen as successfully as Scorsese has done on the cinema screen.
  • Here's an upbeat version:

Cassandra Wilson - Went Down To St James Infirmary (From Silver Pony)

Of course, it's not on YT, but this live version is similar in arrangement: