Kia Ora from New Zealand

I'm a Yorkshireman living in Hamiton, NZ since 2003. My hifi journey and music obsession began in the early 1970s. Today I enjoy locally produced Sachem Pure and V2 amplifiers, Audio Pro Avanti speakers, Clearaudio Emotion turntable, The Wand Plus tonearm, Hana EL pickup, Lounge Audio phono preamp and step-up, Pioneer D6 SACD player, HiFiBerry + Volumio2 player, Collybia Mamboberry + MoOde player, JRiver Media Center 21, Fidelizer Pro. I review for TNT-Audio.com and Witchdoctor.co.nz

Comments

• I blog at Music & HiFi Appreciations on Wordpress
  • Hi rvarey. Welcome. And thanks for the full introduction. I'm guessing that kit of yours hasn't been thrown together in a hurry. :-) Also, interesting times to be a Brit in NZ!
  • Thanks Docfoster. Yes, I've lost track of the many iterative changes over the years. If only I had kept a list! I've played with lots of components in search of a truly satisfying listening experience. Things are settled, at least for now.
  • edited June 2017
    I am concerned that New Zealand seems to be heading down the same track as the UK in many respects.
  • rvarey said:
    I am concerned that New Zealand seems to be heading down the same track as the UK in many respects.
    Ah. You've exposed both my one-track mind ATM and my lack of general knowledge about NZ.
    I was thinking simply out the current Lions v All Blacks test series.
  • We very easily became 'kiwis' and have followed the All Blacks from first settling here. They are a very important part of Kiwi identity.
  • It is nice to have lots of visitors over here from time to time. Currently they can enjoy our Winter weather, our hospitality, and our (generally) sporting attitude to such competitions.
  • edited June 2017
    rvarey said:

We very easily became 'kiwis' and have followed the All Blacks from first settling here. They are a very important part of Kiwi identity.

You sound well and happily integrated. :-)
    The All Blacks are head and shoulders above anyone else at the moment. And have been there or thereabouts in all the time I've followed rugby.
    Remarkable for a country of that size. What you write about their being part of Kiwi identity perhaps explains why so many impressive and intelligent athletes are attracted to and retained by the sport in NZ.
  • Hi Richard

You had me scratching my head a little on Facebook, but the penny suddenly dropped.

I'm glad to see another Raspberry Pi user here, and someone with a very interesting set of kit generally - a lot of which is a complete mystery to me!
  • Hello David I was reading your Dangerous Thinking blog and enjoying, so wanted to follow on Wordpress. As I couldn't find a way, I turned to Facebook. I'm about to audition several Allo units and JRiver MC on microSD, and will write a review for TNT-Audio and Witchdoctor. Looking forward to more 'dangerous thinking'. Cheers. Richard.
  • Thanks. Dangerous Thinking has so much stuff on it, that I'm going to pick out the interesting material - such as the RPi stuff - and make it part of a new personal blog.

Once I get Bliss running on the RPi, I'll be writing about that. I got some advice from Dan, who is Mr Bliss, this morning, so I should be up and running RSN! The piece will either go on DT or on the new blog.

DT is a Wordpress blog, but self-hosted. I suspect that's why you couldn't follow it with Wordpress. 

I've had a quick look at your blog, too. I'll be adding it to Feedly.

I did some reviewing back in the day. It's always good to get new kit to try out.