Second hand music + wellbeing

Look, I'm a skinflint by necessity. I try to live the champagne HiFi dream on shandy money. Don't weep for me, a great many of us are in the same position. The happy truth is this is quite possible to accomplish! The internet has opened the way to sharing knowledge in the DIY community, and even expert knowledge by enabling contact with real designers.

It also opens up the second hand market, whether via international sites like ebay, or national forums, where HiFi bargains are to be found.

This is also true for music - I buy almost all my CDs second hand from charity shops and amazon marketplace, or similar. They are cleaned, ripped once, and go into storage in the loft. There is so much music out there I shall never catch up! £1-3 (incl postage) is the norm as opposed to four times that for a new release.

So, what have you found, and how much/little did you pay? More importantly, what is the smile factor for you?

Comments

• OK, I'll start.

This week in a local charity shop:

£1 each!

They all are in pristine or almost pristine condition (I haven't even cleaned them yet). I haven't got around to the Carpenters yet but all the others are wonderful, especially Graceland and Watermark. Big smiles all around from me!
  • edited September 2015

This was £1 on amazon second hand. It is simply a stunning album, Amy and Emily's writing is always thought provoking and intelligent. They are working with an amazing group of musicians including the legendary Manu Katche on drums. I love these two but I have to say everything really came together on this album. A current favorite for sure.
  • Fantastic find well done Mr Brown
  • edited June 2017
    When we emigrated to New Zealand in 2003, I thought that my used LP and CD buying might be somewhat curtailed (small, dispersed population). In fact, I find pretty much as many albums as I want by scouring op shops. I rescue great music and donate to charitable causes. Win-Win. I write about the highlights on my Music and HiFi Appreciations blog on Wordpress. https://hifiauditions.wordpress.com I developed M.E. Over the last 10 years, and had to retire from employment a couple of years ago. Music listening and writing keeps my mind and soul active.
  • edited June 2017
    I used to visit the charity shops regularly for music. One particular album that sticks in my memory was by an artist completely unknown to me then. "Streamlines" by Tom Scott was purchased, for some negligible amount, purely because my interest was piqued by the cover. Have enjoyed it for years since.  

• That would be the Tom Scott of zillions of sessions, in the 70s/80s, I'd guess.

Funnily enough, one of the first jazz(-ish) albums I heard was by Tom Scott and the LA Express, called Tom Cat. I don't think I have a copy any more.
  • I do buy second hand. Almost entirely in fact. But usually on-line CDs.
    When in charity shops, my secret obsession is buying interesting beer glasses. :-) (Though I do also take a look through the CDs, etc.,...).