Listening to ...

Comments

• It's OK I suppose, but I don't get all the fuss I sometimes hear being made about it.

• edited June 2017
    Dave ain't going to like this.
    Been having a "favourite solo Beatles albums" thang for a few days...

This from Paul.
    "McCartney" 1970
    Love it's raw underproduced sound, in stark contrast to the Phil Spencer wall of sound stuff that was going on elsewhere.

George
    "All Things Must Pass" 1970
    Possibly my favourite of all the solo-Beatles albums. Perhaps could've done with being edited down from a tripple to a double album to make it uber-great, but still some really good tunes on this.

Ringo
    "Ringo" 1973
    OK. Not a lot of competition... Pleasing that all the other Beatles make some contribution to this.

John
    "Mind Games" 1973
    (If John's songs from his 1980 albums "Double Fantasy" and "Milk and Honey" had been separated from Yoko's and placed on an album by themselves, I may have chosen that)

I don't think any capture the youthful chemistry of what they achieved together. I think "I've Got a Feeling" from the Let it Be album is a brilliant example. Paul and John duetting like that. Love it... (Sorry for the slightly below-par audio on this one. Bloody vinyl...)

• Phil Spencer??
  • Docfoster said:
    It's OK I suppose, but I don't get all the fuss I sometimes hear being made about it.

You need to see it (listen to it?) in its historical context. 

I have a similar problem with Sgt Pepper. It only makes sense in its historical context. 
  • Phil Spencer??
    Brilliant. :-D Too many home-buying programmes on in my house!
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    It's OK I suppose, but I don't get all the fuss I sometimes hear being made about it.

You need to see it (listen to it?) in its historical context. 

I have a similar problem with Sgt Pepper. It only makes sense in its historical context. 

So like the Pendle witch trials. Or fascism.
  • No need for a link as it's all over the various music channels.
    Harry Styles "Sign of the times". What a well crafted pop song and the guy can actually sing. Very pleasantly surprised.
  • cj66 said:
    No need for a link as it's all over the various music channels. Harry Styles "Sign of the times". What a well crafted pop song and the guy can actually sing. Very pleasantly surprised.
    Not a Prince cover, then?
  • Indeed not, same title but an original composition. I was surprised because he's from the boy band One Direction :-O
  • cj66 said:
    Indeed not, same title but an original composition. I was surprised because he's from the boy band One Direction :-O
    I know, and scream fodder for pubescent girls.

I've just listened to it, and it is surprising. Definitely an attempt to keep his star aloft after One Direction.
  • cj66 said:
    No need for a link as it's all over the various music channels. Harry Styles "Sign of the times". What a well crafted pop song and the guy can actually sing. Very pleasantly surprised.
    Hadn't seen the video before. Liked it. :-)
  • Nitin Sawhney "Mausam"

• Terry Riley - The Last Camel in Paris

• Lindsey Buckingham - Palace
  • Not

Billy Crystal - Palace?
  • isn't he a comedian ???
  • Yup....

And I was trying to be one:

Buckingham Palace
    Crystal Palace

(I'll get me coat)
  • Us3 - Hand on the Torch

I played this to death in the 90s, and got thoroughly fed up with it. Haven't played it for years. But it's been great listening to it by an open window while I've been working this afternoon. 

• I remember that one. Especially the opening track. :-)
  • Oh yeah, that opener was put onto a compilation called Acid Jazz which was also very popular back then. IIRC I was working in Reading at the time...
  • After being extremely disappointed with Deep Purple's latest outing "inFinite", I went back to their last effort "NowWhat?!". At the time I quite liked it but for some reason has slipped off my play list.
    I must say I still really like it, very true to traditional DP standards with a moderised twist. It does also have a few short direct references back to previous hay-day material which make it a worthy tribute, post John Lord.

There is something else I'm hearing, especially hints in Don Airey's playing that is reminding of an as yet unidentified source, I'll get it eventually!
    In summary, their best album in a very long while.

No useful YT links.
  • Ronald Shannon Jackson - Red Warrior

I'm not sure why this isn't a Decoding Society album. Perhaps because their aren't any horns and it's pretty rocky at times, with three gee-tars and two basses. 

Anyhoo... Jackson is his usual totally uncategorisable self, bashing the wotsit out of the drums. I saw him once, with Last Exit, back in the 80s. A truly brain and body pummelling event. Fantastic!

Nothing any more on YT :-( But, in case someone puts them back, here's the link.
  • cj66 said:
    After being extremely disappointed with Deep Purple's latest outing "inFinite", I went back to their last effort "NowWhat?!". At the time I quite liked it but for some reason has slipped off my play list.
    I must say I still really like it, very true to traditional DP standards with a moderised twist. It does also have a few short direct references back to previous hay-day material which make it a worthy tribute, post John Lord.

There is something else I'm hearing, especially hints in Don Airey's playing that is reminding of an as yet unidentified source, I'll get it eventually!
    In summary, their best album in a very long while.

No useful YT links.
    Fun fact! Don Airey's wife is called Doris. How rock 'n' roll!
  • London grammar. On vinyl
  • London grammar. On vinyl
    I'll give it a go. On digital
  • edited July 2017
    Tricky - Maxinquaye

Alas, despite many claims to the contrary, it sounds horribly dated to my ears.
  • After the disappointment of Tricky:

Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back

The link to Tricky, of course.
  • How things sound different over the years. Listened to:

this morning, and this - his maligned second album - has stood the test of time much better. IMHO. YMMV.
  • Medeski Martin & Wood - Radiolarians I & II

TBH, these never really bit at the time, but today, they've been sounding great. Now I need a copy of Radiolarians III to complete the set.
  • The Lounge Lizards - Queen of All Ears

Probably their best album.
  • The Thing & Otomo Yoshide - Shinjuku Crawl

That is all.
  • Prince - Sign of the Times

You do have a copy of the Purple One's great masterpiece, don't you?
  • Stop whatever you're listening to and listen to Fela:

Sometimes I think Fela's is my favourite music of all.
  • edited July 2017
    I think he's one of the few artists that sits comfortably in the intersection of mine and your Venn diagram. :-) Coincidentally, I've just had some Manu Dibango on. Not exactly the same thing as Fela, but possibly both are covered by the broad brushstroke of "afrobeat".
  • Hmm. I think there's more overlap than that. Maybe those lines on the Venn diagram are a bit hazy?

Manu Dibango isn't strictly Afrobeat (some people call his music Soul Makossa, after the album and track of the same name) but is in the same geographical and 'dancy African music' bin, I guess.

Here's some more Fela!

• edited July 2017
    In the mood for this...

Thought of Dave for this one!

• In the mood for this...

Genuinely refreshing. Thanks!
  • edited August 2017
    cj66 said:
    In the mood for this...

Thought of Dave for this one!

Ah, Battles. With Anthony Braxton's son, they were always going to be a bit left-field.
  • Jan Garbarek - In Praise of Dreams

A very good later Garbarek.
  • The Ella and Louis album in hi-res is one of my favourite recordings. Use it a lot when tweaking things in the system, so have listened to it several times while integrating the ribbon tweeters.
    I have not tired of this track despite listening to it multiple times.
    Absolutely love the song, the lyrics, the sentiment, the performances, the recording.
    An absolute bloody bonus to be living in a time when technology can transport the world's best into one's own home at the press of a button. :-)

"The Nearness of You"
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Tom Russell The Mud Below
    Hadn't heard that one before. Thanks. I like lots of Tom's stuff.
    I can't find a studio version of my favourite of his songs "The Pugilist at 59" on YouTube. It's lyrics are a brilliant evocation of the indignity of ageing. Funny and genuinely sad at the same time.
  • Very different from the mental image I conjured up from quoted song title....

...more pleasant than a latrine
    =))
  • "A handful of vitamins, drop them on the floor
    My ex-girlfriends’ are laughin’ from the icebox door
    I put their photos up there, yeah, we talk all the time
    But they ain’t talkin’ back now, the pugilist is 59"

8-X
  • edited August 2017
    "A handful of vitamins, drop them on the floor
    My ex-girlfriends’ are laughin’ from the icebox door
    I put their photos up there, yeah, we talk all the time
    But they ain’t talkin’ back now, the pugilist is 59"

8-X
    Great lyrics. As is his rhyming "water the lawn, trim them old trees" with "prey that your gut don't fall down to your knees." :-)
  • Yeah, but I'm concerned about his schooling with that unneccessary possessive apostrophe [-X
  • "Water the lawn, trim them old trees Pray you don't use any unnecessary possessive apostrophes"...?
  • Who this Tom Russell? I have to admit, I've never heard of him.
  • edited August 2017
    Art Pepper - Intensity

Not much of the album on YT, so here's a track:

From the early 60s - I've seen 1960-63 quoted - it's somewhere between Pepper's technically brilliant West Coast playing of the 50s and his peak of what the alto can do in the 70s/early 80s. Perhaps a great place to start if you're a 50s Pepper fan who still struggles with his love for Coltrane and the avant garde that so let his playing free (in the traditional sense) a decade or so later. 
  • Who this Tom Russell?
    Cowboy with a conscience... Poet of the human condition... Proud American... Academic... One of the few lyricists whose lyrics sound better if I listen to them. :-)