Listening to ...

Comments

• Dollops of all sorts of peeps there - shall have to do some more listening. Thanks for that, Ben.
  • 23 Skidoo - Seven Songs

Somewhere around The Pop Group and Gang of Four, but better realised than either, I think.
  • Docfoster said:
    Spike! My all-time comic hero.
  • One of the all time best! I saw much of his TV sketches as a kid and although hilarious then, when you back to them as an adult they have an extra depth and lunacy that really sets him apart.
  • cj66 said:
    One of the all time best! I saw much of his TV sketches as a kid and although hilarious then, when you back to them as an adult they have an extra depth and lunacy that really sets him apart.
    My Dad had three comic heroes. Tommy Cooper, Stanley Unwin and Spike. All three have left a lingering stain on my psyche to this day.
  • Odean Pope - Out for a Walk

• Odyssey, the band - Back In Time

Amazed to see one of James Blood Ulmer's finest (one of the Village Voice's top jazz albums from 2006) is not represented on YT!

His name, incidentally, doesn't appear on the cover because this is an improvising trio, with violinist Charles Burnham and drummer Warren Benbow. They grab hold of the blues and chuck it way, way over there!

• Daniel Pemberton, hot composer for the film industry at the mo. The film the above was written for is a fun retelling of the story and deffo worth a look.
  • cj66 said:

Daniel Pemberton, hot composer for the film industry at the mo. The film the above was written for is a fun retelling of the story and deffo worth a look.
    Not so sure about that, TBH, old chap. 
  • Kris Davis Infrasound - Save Your Breath

Interesting stuff, this. Not so much here that your average Charlie Parker or Duke Ellington fan would happily label as Jazz.
  • Radio paradise today, as the beta app now has native chrome cast support. I am also without a music computer having given the mac to my son.

• Alan said:
    Radio paradise today, as the beta app now has native chrome cast support. I am also without a music computer having given the mac to my son.
    We'll have to fix that, you know ;-)
  • Marilyn Crispell with Gary Peacock and Paul Motian - Amaryllis

Albums like this piano trio are where I continue to feel the huge hole Paul Motian left. Somehow, he and a few fellow conspirators evolved a style of jazz/free improvisation that nails me to the chair every time. But with Motian and bassist Charlie Haden gone, and Gary Peacock into his 80s, this decades-long run of albums is probably over. 

Doesn't make this album any less of a masterpiece, though :-)

• And YouTube made the great (and slightly obvious) connection to:

Tethered Moon - Triangle

It's a CD I found in Japan, I think - must have been right when it came out if it was. Anyhow... Tethered Moon was Masabumi 'Poo' Kikuchi, Gary Peacock and Paul Motian. See the connection? And Kikuchi has passed, too.

I suspect this may be the easier listen of the two - 'tending towards lounge jazz at times', as an uninformed ear once said. Perish the thought!
  • And now, something completely similar!

Tethered Moon - First Meeting

Can't see anything on YT, but you know the story.
  • edited August 2017
    Sister Nancy. Rocking it in 1982! "Bam Bam" (@17.07 on this album) is awesome. :-)
  • edited August 2017
    Doctor John - Gris Gris Playing quietly as I relax after a packed Bank Holiday weekend. It's one of those records, like organist Larry Young's psychedelic masterpiece, Lawrence of Newark, where on a middling system, all you hear is the distortion and muddiness. But as you chuck more money at your system, you realise there's so much tucked away in the mix that you were wrong. And the distortions are part of the music's sound palette.
  • Docfoster said:
    Sister Nancy. Rocking it in 1982! "Bam Bam" (@17.07 on this album) is awesome. :-)
    Having Googled this, I realise I must have just about total ignorance of Dancehall!
  • Docfoster said:
    Having Googled this, I realise I must have just about total ignorance of Dancehall!
    Wind up dem body, Dave!
  • Blow out the cobwebs...

Unfortunately not the only band called Egypt so not the easiest to search for.
  • edited August 2017
    cj66 said:
    Blow out the cobwebs... Unfortunately not the only band called Egypt so not the easiest to search for.
    Who dey????

Edit: Joking aside, I quite enjoyed it.
  • May I offer this as an alternative?

With the associated wisdom, if you wish:

Chills quick you
    Voices pick you
    Crows hex you
    [You love some?] post-'em avion
    Wizard Kiss and all be gone
    Scenes
    Dreams
    Boats to forever
    Boated ether
    Creep to ether feather
    Sue Egypt
    Sue Egypt
    Boing pong
    hocus pocus avion
    I think of all those people that ride on my bones
    I think of all of those people that ride on my bones
    That nobody hears
    That nobody sees that nobody knows
    Sue Egypt
    Sue Egypt
    I think of all
    I think of all
    I think of all those people who ride on my bones
    That nobody sees, that nobody dares
    That nobody hears, that nobody cares
    I think of the dust that collects on the chairs
    and under her eyes
    and through her eyes
    and out her body
    and in her body
    and in her ha[ir/fa]ce
    Big smoke fingers wave
    Come here Come hear
    "Bring me my scissors"
    and those are waters [?]
    The moon was a
    wisdomatic
    pristocratic
    vagabond
    Bad vuggum
    a pitcher of red-hot juice
    a picture of red garnet juice
    Chills quick you
    Voices pick you
    Crows hex you
    [Elects-some postem?] avion
    Wizard Kiss and All Be Gone
    Scenes
    Dreams
    Boats to forever
    Boated ether
    Creep the ether feather
    Sue Egypt
    Sue Egypt
  • Docfoster said:
    Docfoster said:
    Wind up dem body, Dave!
    You make me feel so old and white!
  • Docfoster said:
    Docfoster said:
    Wind up dem body, Dave!
    "''Tis not the mirror's fault if it shows the virgin to be pregnant." ;-p
  • Docfoster said:
    Docfoster said:
    Docfoster said:
    Wind up dem body, Dave!
    "''Tis not the mirror's fault if it shows the virgin to be pregnant." ;-p
    Some people on this forum are just too peculiar  3:-O
  • David Lynch - sounds just like you'd expect it to  8-X
  • Chris Forsyth and The Solar Motel Band - Dreaming in the Non-Dream

I'm liking this muchly - non warning: it's not ugly in the slightest!
  • Herbie Hancock - Mwandishi: The Complete Warner Bros. Recordings

Herbie made these before the more well-known Headhunters albums, but to my ears, they're better. Further out, a bit more experimental, but sometimes devilishly funky, too.

Many liken these albums to Miles' Bitches Brew. I'm not so sure. I like to think of Bitches Brew as the crucible that led to Miles' 70s masterpieces, early Weather Report and Mwandishi. Three different streams of electric jazz.
  • Business as usual today...

Wilber Morris, Louie Belegonis and Rashied Ali - Live at Tonic

Nothing on YT by this lot, but I did find this while looking:

Peter Brotzmann, Fred Hopkins and Rashied Ali - No Messages (from the album Songlines).
  • edited September 2017
    Wibutee - Eight Domestic Challenges

Another of those great Norwegian mash-ups at the periphery of jazz - kind of electronica, meets free jazz, meets 70s Miles, meets EDM, even.

It's the only Wibutee album I have, but I think there are three more. I should at least investigate them.
  • "great Norwegian mash-up at the periphery of jazz" Love the thought this is ANOTHER one of them!!
  • Suzy6toes said:
    "great Norwegian mash-up at the periphery of jazz" Love the thought this is ANOTHER one of them!!
    ROFL! 

There have been about 20 years of them, now. Happy to give you some Spotify links ;-)
  • uglymusic said:
    Wibutee - Eight Domestic Challenges

Another of those great Norwegian mash-ups at the periphery of jazz - kind of electronica, meets free jazz, meets 70s Miles, meets EDM, even.

It's the only Wibutee album I have, but I think there are three more. I should at least investigate them.
    For those interested (silence ensues), Playmachine seems to be the best. It has something of Miles' On the Corner about it, to my ears. 

I love the way that Miles' 70s stuff still influences right up to today - for example, Laura Jurd's album from this year.  
  • Miles Davis - The Complete On The Corner Sessions

Inevitably, you might say. And you'd be right!

Get an earful of this!

• Having played On The Corner, there's just one place to go for sheer sonic challenge in that era:

Tony Williams' Lifetime - Emergency!

Tony Williams playing, perhaps, the best drums of his career, John McLaughlin playing even more out than he did with Miles, and Larry Young ripping the guts out of his Hammond. 

They made two albums, the second adding Jack Bruce on bass, but this double lp is the one. If I were to say organised chaos, I'd be shortchanging everyone. It's all-embracing in its own special kind of ugliness ;-)

Only Larry Young went further out than this - Williams and McLaughlin fell by the wayside - with his Lawrence of Newark album, which I've droned on about earlier in this thread.

• edited September 2017
    One of Dave's recommendations (from way back).
    Really enjoying this with my lunchtime coffee today...
  • Docfoster said:
    One of Dave's recommendations (from way back). Really enjoying this with my lunchtime coffee today...
    You are a man of taste!

When I was at university, I was given a tape of it by a photographer I saw at jazz gigs. He was an old guy with a penchant for cool west coast jazz and whisky. He said he'd never been able to get into Blues and Roots, but I might like it. Bingo!
  • I've been listening to 

Pharoah Sanders - Elevation

Impulse! ‎– AS-9261 (US, 1974) https://www.discogs.com/Pharoah-Sande... 00:00 A1. Elevation 17:41 A2. Greeting To Saud (Brother McCoy Tyner) 21:40 B1. Ore-Se-Rere (Nigerian Juju HiLife) 27:12 B2. The Gathering 40:49 B3. Spiritual Blessing Recorded in performance at the Ash Grove in Los Angeles, California on September 7, 1973 (tracks 3 & 4) and September 9, 1973 (tracks 1 & 5) and at Wally Heider Studios in San Francisco, California on September 13, 1973 (track 2). Personnel: Pharoah Sanders - tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, shaker, vocals, bells, percussion Joe Bonner - piano, harmonium, cow horn, wood flute, percussion, vocals Calvin Hill - bass, vocals, tambura Michael Carvin - drums, vocals Lawrence Killian - conga, bell tree, vocals John Blue (tracks 3 & 4), Jimmy Hopps (tracks 1, 2 & 5) - percussion, vocals Michael White - violin (track 2) Kenneth Nash - percussion (track 2) Sedatrius Brown - vocals (track 2)

You gotta love anyone called Sedatrius Brown! :-)
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    One of Dave's recommendations (from way back). Really enjoying this with my lunchtime coffee today...
    You are a man of taste!

When I was at university, I was given a tape of it by a photographer I saw at jazz gigs. He was an old guy with a penchant for cool west coast jazz and whisky. He said he'd never been able to get into Blues and Roots, but I might like it. Bingo!
    It's great how these things get passed on; make their way through populations.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    You are a man of taste!

It's great how these things get passed on; make their way through populations.
    It is.
  • edited September 2017
    Anthony Braxton - 20 Standards (Quartet) 2003

I love Braxton's periodic returns to the jazz tradition. His sax playing is totally his own, although I'm always surprised how straight the arch-avant gardist plays much of the material. 
  • Van Morrison - St Dominic's Preview

You know your day will be better for a bit of top quality Van!
  • Rudresh Mahanthappa - Samdhi

Current-generation alto sax wizardry. Perhaps a bit Jackie McLean-like in sound, but a rhythmic approach all of his own, based on Indian classical music.
  • In a Ben-like rewind to the 90s, I'm listening to one of my most played albums during that era:

• Thanks Dave! I'd forgotten about them.
    And what do you mean "re-wind"...? No re-wind necessary for me. I'm permanently there!
  • LOL! You said it :-)
  • Sonny Rollins - Alfie

My favourite Rollins album by a mile - except, perhaps, for East Broadway Rundown ;-) 

The album has a bit of a bonkers line-up if you're into that kind of thing.

Sonny Rollins - Tenor Sax ▪ Jimmy Cleveland, J.J. Johnson - Trombone ▪ Phil Woods - Alto Sax ▪ Bob Ashton - Tenor Sax ▪ Danny Bank - Baritone Sax ▪ Roger Kellaway - Piano ▪ Kenny Burrell - Guitar ▪ Walter Booker - Bass ▪ Frankie Dunlap - Drums ▪ Oliver Nelson - Conductor

I have to think Oliver Nelson's presence has something to do with the overall wonderfulness of the album.
  • Sonny Rollins - East Broadway Rundown

In which Coltrane's rhythm section spurs Rollins to greater heights than his usual choices did. Although Rollins still doesn't respond to Elvin Jones' fearsome juggernaut drums the way Coltrane did.