Listening to ...

Comments

• uglymusic said:

Sonny Rollins - Alfie

My favourite Rollins album by a mile - except, perhaps, for East Broadway Rundown ;-) 

The album has a bit of a bonkers line-up if you're into that kind of thing.

Sonny Rollins - Tenor Sax ▪ Jimmy Cleveland, J.J. Johnson - Trombone ▪ Phil Woods - Alto Sax ▪ Bob Ashton - Tenor Sax ▪
    Danny Bank - Baritone Sax ▪ Roger Kellaway - Piano ▪ Kenny Burrell - Guitar ▪ Walter Booker - Bass ▪ Frankie Dunlap - Drums ▪
    Oliver Nelson - Conductor

I have to think Oliver Nelson's presence has something to do with the overall wonderfulness of the album.
    Liked that.
  • Docfoster said:
    Sonny Rollins - Alfie

My favourite Rollins album by a mile - except, perhaps, for East Broadway Rundown ;-) 

The album has a bit of a bonkers line-up if you're into that kind of thing.

Sonny Rollins - Tenor Sax ▪ Jimmy Cleveland, J.J. Johnson - Trombone ▪ Phil Woods - Alto Sax ▪ Bob Ashton - Tenor Sax ▪ Danny Bank - Baritone Sax ▪ Roger Kellaway - Piano ▪ Kenny Burrell - Guitar ▪ Walter Booker - Bass ▪ Frankie Dunlap - Drums ▪ Oliver Nelson - Conductor

I have to think Oliver Nelson's presence has something to do with the overall wonderfulness of the album.
    Liked that.
    I'm glad you did! I play it pretty regularly 'cos I like it.

Now give East Broadway Rundown a go and marvel at what Elvin gets up to on the drums. He's absolutely burning.

• Elvin's not quite as good on this as on EBR - it was 25 years later - but he makes the album. I can't think of anyone who'd power Pharoah Sanders and Sonny Sharrock along like this. I just wish Elvin had played in more challenging situations after he left Coltrane.

From YT:

Ask the Ages (1991) was the last album released by jazz guitarist Sonny Sharrock before his death in 1994 "Promises Kept" --9:43 "Who Does She Hope to Be?" --4:41 "Little Rock" --7:12 "As We Used to Sing" --7:45 "Many Mansions" --9:31 "Once upon a Time" --6:26 (all compositions by Sonny Sharrock)

Rory Sharrock
    This album is so sick. It always takes me to new levels each time I play it. Sonny was my uncle. I hate he passed three years after this dropped. But if you're gonna bow out, this is how you leave the world. A mic drop with a timeless piece entitled "Ask the Ages." These cats are jamming hard on here. Damn, get you a drink and chill on this one.
  • John Zorn's Masada String Trio - Azazel: Book of Angels, Vol 2

Composed music by Zorn, played by three musicians who straddle the classical, Jewish (Zorn refers to some of his output as Radical Jewish Music)  and avant/improv/jazz worlds. I don't know what classical music fans would think of it, but to my ears, it's brilliant. Sometimes challenging, often with a groove that's missing in the classical world, the String Trio's albums always manage to put a smile on my face.
  • edited September 2017
    Ennio Morricone "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" score.

Watching this. Really appreciating the sound track. Not just the signature riff, but the whole score.

And, forgotten how much I like this film overall.
    And how much I love Clint's character is just the personification of male cool.
    B-)
  • Docfoster said:

Watching this. Really appreciating the sound track. Not just the signature riff, but the whole score.

B-)
    And there's always this:

• So I continue JZ into this morning:

Kind of surf rock and stuff. One of John Zorn's most accessible albums.
  • And, now....

• uglymusic said:

And, now....

What a coincidence. Only yesterday I was humming that.
  • Docfoster said:
    And, now....

What a coincidence. Only yesterday I was humming that.
    Earworm! :-)
  • Docfoster said:

B-)
    Male cool indeed. Especially this little scene..... clint hearts kittens

Morricone's soundtrack was one of the half dozen lps I "borrowed" when I moved out from my parents. Great soundtrack. Great film.
  • The kitten scene did seem a bit incongruous... ;-)
    What were the other 5 records?
  • Docfoster said:
    The kitten scene did seem a bit incongruous... ;-) What were the other 5 records?
    How else are we supposed to know that Blondie is The Good ??(it's all relative I suppose!)

Rumours, Hotel California (a rather unusual print as it turns out), Parallel Lines, Coppelia, and bizarrely some Nana Mouskouri. Tbf, I think that was pretty much my parents' whole musical catalogue at the time ! oh no, now I think about it I did leave them the Rod Stewart and Abba.
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Docfoster said:
    The kitten scene did seem a bit incongruous... ;-) What were the other 5 records?
    How else are we supposed to know that Blondie is The Good ??(it's all relative I suppose!)

Rumours, Hotel California (a rather unusual print as it turns out), Parallel Lines, Coppelia, and bizarrely some Nana Mouskouri. Tbf, I think that was pretty much my parents' whole musical catalogue at the time ! oh no, now I think about it I did leave them the Rod Stewart and Abba.
    Without debating the musical merits, or otherwise, of your haul... You do realise how uncool it is to be seen with your parents' choice in music? :-)
  • I think i accepted a long time ago that whatever it is i do bring to this world, coolness isnt it :(
    Interesting to remember tho that,tho radio played day and night at 'home', there was very little bought music.
  •  You do realise how uncool it is to be seen with your parents' choice in music?

As I've aged I find myself enjoying a fair amount of my parents (mother mainly) taste! Some she played on seemingly endless loop, Neil Diamond, Elkie Brookes, bits of classical, Crystal Gayle, Simon & Garfunkel etc. It's like a slow rot, starting with you humming/whistling tunes you're not sure of why, it bugs you so you track them down, play them properly and finally like them.
    Others are banned, Richard Clayderman, James Last....

I suddenly remember this collection of frustratingly unwelcome earworms...

• edited September 2017
    Medeski Martin & Wood

MMW are the dog's danglies. Only John Medeski comes anywhere near the outer-space forays of Larry Young on the Hammond (see wafflings the other day in this thread). And Billy Martin and Chris Wood are the funkiest rhythm section anywhere.

What isn't there to like?
  • cj66 said:
     You do realise how uncool it is to be seen with your parents' choice in music?

As I've aged I find myself enjoying a fair amount of my parents (mother mainly) taste! Some she played on seemingly endless loop, Neil Diamond, Elkie Brookes, bits of classical, Crystal Gayle, Simon & Garfunkel etc. It's like a slow rot, starting with you humming/whistling tunes you're not sure of why, it bugs you so you track them down, play them properly and finally like them.
    Others are banned, Richard Clayderman, James Last....

I suddenly remember this collection of frustratingly unwelcome earworms...

You are Not A Well Man, Mr 66. Clearly. :-D

• Suzy6toes said:
    I think i accepted a long time ago that whatever it is i do bring to this world, coolness isnt it :( Interesting to remember tho that,tho radio played day and night at 'home', there was very little bought music.
    That was the way at my parents' place, too. 

I found, from the time I left home, I was the one who supplied music to them.
  • edited September 2017
    You are Not A Well Man, Mr 66. Clearly.

I thought I had escaped my childhood unharmed. However, it would seem the seed of some psychosymatic (addict insane) illness was planted and slowly spread though hidden deep within the delta brainwaves, until later, in a cruel twist of soft torture, it spored into the ugly fungal beast it has become....

~:>
  • edited September 2017
    On a healthier note, playing some Led Zep goodness...

No useful YT linky...but right now, Fool In The Rain.

• cj66 said:

So I'm playing

Led Zeppelin 3

• cj66 said:
    You are Not A Well Man, Mr 66. Clearly.

I thought I had escaped my childhood unharmed. However, it would seem the seed of some psychosymatic (addict insane) illness was planted and slowly spread though hidden deep within the delta brainwaves, until later, in a cruel twist of soft torture, it spored into the ugly fungal beast it has become....

~:>

3:-O
  • uglymusic said:

cj66 said:

So I'm playing

Led Zeppelin 3

And then Physical Graffiti.

Now I'm ferreting around for something to follow.

Any ideas?
  • Giovanni Guidi Trio - City of Broken Dreams

It's almost a Thomas Morgan album, with the US bassist's contribution being as prominent as the leader's. It's a piano trio, BTW. On ECM, and sounds much as you'd expect.
  • Craig Taborn - Avenging Angel

Just like on his piano trio album, Chants, his earlier solo piano effort, Avenging Angel, goes completely in his own direction without being wilfully avant-garde.

I have a pile of Taborn’s albums, stretching over a decade. And every one is different. The man is just a cauldron of creativity!
  • Ben folds - live
  • Another favourite Jethro Tull album...

• cj66 said:
    Another favourite Jethro Tull album...
    Had to do a bit of digging there. I don't think I know Stormbringer. Will stream it tomorrow.
  • A Freudian Deep Purple slip? ;)
    Stormwatch.
  • edited September 2017
    cj66 said:
    A Freudian Deep Purple slip? ;) Stormwatch.
    Almost! It was actually a Freudian John & Beverley Martyn Slip :-)
  • Patti Griffin

Children Running Through

(In particular the incredible 'Heavenly Day')
  • Rage Against the Machine.

Well, it is Monday morning!
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Rage Against the Machine.

Well, it is Monday morning!
    It's appropriate 24/7!
  • Anyone listened to Beck's new album, Colors?

I've been playing it to death over the past few days. It's poptastically brilliant! A complete inversion from my usual reaction to his albums, where I find one or two tracks I like. This one has one or two I don't like.

I don't know why they've released it now, though. A summer album in October? Perhaps he's big in New Zealand :-)

Anyway, here's one of the singles:

• And today's discovery...

Tony Allen - The Source

Fela Kuti's fellow Afrobeat conspirator's first album for Blue Note. And on initial listening, it's an absolute scorcher. Apparently recorded with Allen's Paris-based band, Allen's unique drumming style fits like a glove with these jazz tracks. And the band is excellent, too. 
  • The much maligned Camel. All their early albums are here on L.P.

Mirage, however, is streaming right now.

• cj66 said:
    The much maligned Camel. All their early albums are here on L.P. Mirage, however, is streaming right now.
    I used to like them when I were a nipper. Had some on vinyl, which have long since been sold on. 

Maybe I should have a little nostalgia.
  • uglymusic said:
    Anyone listened to Beck's new album, Colors?

I've been playing it to death over the past few days. It's poptastically brilliant! A complete inversion from my usual reaction to his albums, where I find one or two tracks I like. This one has one or two I don't like.

I don't know why they've released it now, though. A summer album in October? Perhaps he's big in New Zealand :-)

Just caught up with this for a first listen. It's a good ride, first time around "dreams" stood out for me.
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    Anyone listened to Beck's new album, Colors?

Just caught up with this for a first listen. It's a good ride, first time around "dreams" stood out for me.
    I think I like Colors for similar reasons to why I loved Prince at his peak - the mixture of musical genres, the musical intelligence driving the pop, and damn good tunes.
  • Yup! Totally agree with that.
  • edited October 2017
    Tangerine Dream "Quantum Gate", i.e. their latest. (Spotify)

A pleasant enough listen but no surprises or highs. No doubt all clever stuff but sadly a little underwhelming.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6h0wIWFJY2SyjL10ojsajL

It's certainly no Stratosphere or even Underwater Sunlight....
  • Zara Mcfarlane "Open Heart"

• Docfoster said:
    Zara Mcfarlane "Open Heart"

I like that!
  • PJ Harvey - Is This Desire?

I love Polly Jean's voice on this album. Melancholy, sexy.

There are so many great tracks on this album, you should play it all!  
  • edited October 2017
    Just found this piece of insanely funky stuff while clicking around YouTube:

Larry Graham's - Sly & The Family Stone's bassist's - band.
  • uglymusic said:

If someone made a “funk machine”, that is what would come out of it.
  • edited November 2017
    Docfoster said:

It is pretty awesome!
  • Someone else's pop of 2000s playlist on Spotify. Currently Lady Gaga "speechless", actually rather decent.
  • Just found this piece of insanely funky stuff while clicking around YouTube: