Inca Tech claymore Upgrade advise

edited October 2017 in Amplifiers
Hi all, thinking of re-capping and upgrading the fets in my iss3 claymore but wondered what effect it might have on the sound? Has anyone got there amp back after upgrade and found a remarkable difference?

Comments

• Hi a few are on this forum so read there reports, I can't because I would be biased sorry.
  • Thanks Col, I’ve struggle to find anyone saying what the differences are. I worked in the hifi industry for 15 years. Had a chap come in wanting to try some new amps and he said he would bring his own amp (some old thing called a claymore)to demo against some of the equipment we had in our demo room. Well I was rather surprised when he showed up with an odd looking black box that reminded me of the Smokey & Bandit car styling. I though to myself well this will be a quick and easy sale. I put on an entry level amp thinking it would blow the little Inca out the water, but to my surprise and embarrassment it wasn’t even close to the performance with the Inca. I won’t tell you how far up the high end amp chain we had to go to get something that was better, but from that day forward I new I would need to hunt down a little claymore, and I did, and it sounds as good as I’d remembered.
  • Hi Robert.
    Colin did upgrade my Claymore shortly after I bought it second hand several years ago. But it had been faulty before his repair and upgrade, so I can’t honestly comment on the difference.
    Sorry!
  • We should do a group demo somewhere against the new one, and Mk1 - 6, could be interesting. Any ideas Dave???

• I’d be up for that.
  • edited October 2017

Thanks Col, I’ve struggle to find anyone saying what the differences are. I worked in the hifi industry for 15 years. Had a chap come in wanting to try some new amps and he said he would bring his own amp (some old thing called a claymore)to demo against some of the equipment we had in our demo room. Well I was rather surprised when he showed up with an odd looking black box that reminded me of the Smokey & Bandit car styling. I though to myself well this will be a quick and easy sale. I put on an entry level amp thinking it would blow the little Inca out the water, but to my surprise and embarrassment it wasn’t even close to the performance with the Inca. I won’t tell you how far up the high end amp chain we had to go to get something that was better, but from that day forward I new I would need to hunt down a little claymore, and I did, and it sounds as good as I’d remembered.

Im loving that anecdote. Thanks for sharing it :)
  • Group demo would be fun. Me and a buddy recently put an upgraded iss6 against my stock iss3. Was interesting, we found that the iss6 was lively, throwing the sound at you and pulling out the individual instruments really well. The iss3 was more laid back, much smoother. We both preferred vocal on the iss3, but the iss6 was great for more dynamic music. Thing is it got me wondering, were these differences there due to the upgrades, or was it because the iss6 was 3 generations newer?
  • AntiCrap said:
    We should do a group demo somewhere against the new one, and Mk1 - 6, could be interesting. Any ideas Dave???

It would be, yes, Col.
  • it was a good test, V3 against a V6 robs, and he is right, I have a £3,750 AV Rotel pre power and that claymore blow it clean out of the water, so I had to hunt one down, and managed to score Hugh's off him, love the little thing.   
  • it was a good test, V3 against a V6 robs, and he is right, I have a £3,750 AV Rotel pre power and that claymore blow it clean out of the water, so I had to hunt one down, and managed to score Hugh's off him, love the little thing.   
    Did you get Hugh (Scotland),  if so that is a special I made Hugh when I lived in Scotland.
    He and I loved it but Hugh was made redundant and had to sell it, so he sent it down and I upgraded it.

Nice Amp well travelled, Canvey Island,Leigh on Sea, Yeabridge Somerset,Oxford, Cambridge USA, Dalgety Bay Fife, and then to Glenrothes and then Hugh nicked it he he.