V6 claymore against V3

So I have a v6 and my friend has a v3
And we are testing them back to back what one sounds better

Anyone done a test like this.

Got a photo, just not sure how to add it on here.

Comments

• edited October 2017
    So I have a v6 and my friend has a v3 And we are testing them back to back what one sounds better Anyone done a test like this. Got a photo, just not sure how to add it on here.
    You'll need to upload the image to a photo hosting site and then when posting it here, use the image icon (the little landscape picture) to post a link. There's a riveting tutorial here (produced initially for our good old friend James)... http://www.audiochews.com/discussion/1610/james-tutorial/p1 The image icon is probably not present on the mobile version of the site, so you’ll likely need to add the link from a desktop / laptop. Or just paste the link to the hosted image and I can edit-in the picture for you.

[Edit: I've just remembered that the video tutorial references Photobucket specifically, which is no longer a free service. The principle is the same though. Various ideas for free hosting sites here.]
  • ...looking forward to reading about the comparison by the way... :-)
  • V6? Is Colin fitting them with old Ford engines from Dagenham?  O:-)
  • Rovers or Merlin by Rolls Royce, no Found On Road Dead crap.
  • My V6 has more low end grip and better bass and better timing - better space around the music too

im running 14/4 not bi-wired, what would be a good speaker and RCA lead upgrade ?
  • Them old Ford engines done right!
  • No V1s please...doodle, doodle, doodle.... :-$
  • Be warned at the moments the New FET's I use are out of stock until Jan 2018.
    Now yesterday, I upgraded a Claymore with bigger FET,s the original are rated at 8Amps, the new ones are 16Amps. and I was flabbergasted at how good they were.

So you have a choice wait until new FET,s are in stock, or pay about £30 more and have monster FET,s  plus other bits cost and time.

So enjoy Gary (lucky devil)
  • P.S. for above this other nice thing about the above Claymore it was a MK 1 so no extra FET converter PCB needed yipee, as these take ages to fit.
  • AntiCrap said:
    B52 

Love shack?
  • cj66 said:
    AntiCrap said:
    B52 

Love shack?
    Col does like a good hug.
  • AntiCrap said:
    Be warned at the moments the New FET's I use are out of stock until Jan 2018.
    Now yesterday, I upgraded a Claymore with bigger FET,s the original are rated at 8Amps, the new ones are 16Amps. and I was flabbergasted at how good they were.

So you have a choice wait until new FET,s are in stock, or pay about £30 more and have monster FET,s  plus other bits cost and time.

Serendipity. :-)
  • Docfoster said:
    AntiCrap said:

Flabbergasted? in what way... h ive the v6 you done for Hugh when you moved, I see they are new FET's  but not the 16A ones, can I put these in mine? 
  • After much head scratching, I realised...

Funky Elephant Tickets! Too late for this year, though :-(
  • Docfoster said:
    AntiCrap said:

Flabbergasted? in what way... h ive the v6 you done for Hugh when you moved, I see they are new FET's  but not the 16A ones, can I put these in mine? 
    You can

• AntiCrap said:
    Docfoster said:
    AntiCrap said:

You can

would you be willing to share what ones you used, and can you just change the FET - and can you remember the FET's  you put in mine, just wondering if I can push more out of mine. 
  • The big FET,s are N Channel BUZ900DP and the P Channel is BUZ905DP from RS a few other bits also have to change.

Col
  • AntiCrap said:
    The big FET,s are N Channel BUZ900DP and the P Channel is BUZ905DP from RS a few other bits also have to change.

Col
    ok, so insuring this is something you would do rather then me, what would you charge for this bad boy upgrade ?
    we need big FET's <span>:smile:</span>
  • PM me please

• Just upgraded Roberts with 16 Amp FETS, it goes bloody loud I hope his neighbours move. >:)
  • cant wait to hear it - he will probably bring over and try it on my BW 603's :-)

• Have you got ear defender?
  • Hope it doesn't sound that bad Col  :s
  • No lots of power but clear and it fools you when the wife chats about Deadender being on can I turn it down, I am in the Log Cabin in the garden and it sort of sound proof.
  • AntiCrap said:
    No lots of power but clear and it fools you when the wife chats about Deadender being on can I turn it down, I am in the Log Cabin in the garden and it sort of sound proof.
    That's what you think, I can hear it down on the south coast!
  • Quick update regarding my amp service/upgrade. Received it back in good order from Col, thanks chap.

Colin did the usual re cap, upgraded the FETS to 16amp, and it looks like he swapped a couple of components on the phono stage (c21a/c21b?).

So whats the verdict? There is more detail, instruments are easier to place and there is more 'life' to the sound. Im also finding at higher volume levels its much more composed. Treble is much 'cleaner' at higher volume with better bass control.  

The new volume pot is much nicer then the old stepped pot, and the green LED is a nice little touch.
    Well worth the small sum, the amp retains that Claymore sound, but just sounds better. Obviously my opinion and all subjective. Over the last few days the real difference that I've noticed is I've been listening to my music, not my hifi system, if that makes sense. 
    Thanks again Col, now enjoying going back through my albums and hearing things differently.

• Nice photos.

Glad Colin's done a great job for you.
  • Thanks, and your description of the Minstrels having a few downsides, but the upsides are so overwhelming you soon forget there's anything wrong is absolutely bang on! 
  • Rob, good work with the B&W pics.
    (Aphex Twin albums too, I see... :-) )

Most importantly you sound delighted with the Claymore upgrade.
    Maybe I should really get one for mine... Colin did a bit of work on it a few years ago, and it sounds great, but I'm pretty sure his tinkering back then included all this new upgrade business.
  • My main motivation was the volume pot change, plus wanted everything checked over given it not been touched in 30 years. Plus Col said he would fit massive 16amp fets so that got me a little excited :)
  • Thanks, and your description of the Minstrels having a few downsides, but the upsides are so overwhelming you soon forget there's anything wrong is absolutely bang on! 
    I hoped that description would make sense! They're truly great little speakers.
  • Docfoster said:
    Rob, good work with the B&W pics.
    (Aphex Twin albums too, I see... :-) )

Most importantly you sound delighted with the Claymore upgrade.
    Maybe I should really get one for mine... Colin did a bit of work on it a few years ago, and it sounds great, but I'm pretty sure his tinkering back then included all this new upgrade business.
    Go on. You know it makes sense!