WTD: Royd Minstrels

After some Royds, speakers that is, let me know if you have any Minstrels you would let go.

Comments

• edited November 2017
    All the best with your search, Rob. They’re graceful looking speakers aren’t they...?
    I notice a couple of pairs on eBay. Looks like prices have risen slightly since I last looked. Good 2nd hand hifi looks like a good investment these days!
  • Thanks, looks like I've found a set for a rather good price. They do look rather different, but I think that adds to the charm. I doubt the other half will agree tho, but I've dragged worse into the house. In fact I think my worse was a set of mission 761cabinets that I 'modded' with monitor audio gr10 drivers and tweeters and B&W 600 series crossovers.
  • Thanks, looks like I've found a set for a rather good price. They do look rather different, but I think that adds to the charm. I doubt the other half will agree tho, but I've dragged worse into the house. In fact I think my worse was a set of mission 761cabinets that I 'modded' with monitor audio gr10 drivers and tweeters and B&W 600 series crossovers.
    A real Frankenstein's monster...! :D How did they sound?
    Can't agree more about the Minstrels. I think they're lovely looking (never owned a pair, though).
    Glad you've found a pair.
  • They sounded incredibly bad  :D
  • I cohabited with a pair of Minstrels for years. They're one of those speakers that have a few downsides that some can't live with, but the upsides are so overwhelming you soon forget there's anything wrong at all.

Oh, and I replaced them with my current Royd RR3s, which, while I keep thinking I want a pair of floorstanders, I can't see myself ever getting rid of.

You're starting off on a long and dodgy road, Rob!
  • Well I do know of some RR2's for sale if you feel tempted  ;)
  • I'm not up for the full collection :-)
  • I sold my Royd Minstrels a while back, the buyer preferred them to his Heed Enigma speakers.  He then went onto try some Royd Minstrel SE, but felt the 'life and vitality' went from the sound.  Not the first time I've heard someone prefer the originals over the SE model.  I also use a pair of RR3s, not tempted to switch to floorstanders because IMHO Royd's best speakers are standmounts like the Sorcerer & RR3.
  • I had the original Minstrels, Neil. That 'life and vitality' is exactly what I loved them for.

Some people say the RR series lacks l&v, too. I disagree. It's there but mixed in with a better sonic balance, more depth - in bass and soundstage - and general goodness. 

When I say I'm tempted by floorstanders, I'm talking about jumping ship (gasp!). But I suspect I may be in for a lot of outlay to happily oust the RR3s. Besides, I have a few other ideas on the boil ;-)
  • I disagree too RE the Revelation series, but they do need very stiff amps to get the most out of them (oo-er!).  In terms of getting that 'big floorstander' scale that you're just not going to get with RR3s, I looked into this myself & ended up at: http://tbisound.com/dsp_products_subwmagvisu.asp - I have neighbours and a suspended wooden floor though!

Sorry for the slight thread-jack OP, will keep my eyes out for you though!  You shouldn't be paying more than £150 incl. P&P, but some sub-£100 bargains out there if you're patient - or maybe the cat's out of the bag now & prices are rising.  I got mine for £80 a few years ago.
  • Looks interesting. Would like to hear them. But I have neighbours and a suspended wooden floor, too. And I'm not a great fan of subwoofers :-(

If the recording is right and I turn up the wick a bit, I could be just about convinced the Royds were bigger. Things like double basses can find their way into the room.  
  • edited November 2017
    @uglymusic am not a fan of subs either, but these look different.  Much smaller cone, apparently very very fast and transparent.  With regard to the suspended wooden floor, I recently replaced my floor spikes with 8x large Bright Star IsoNodes, made a fundamental difference in stopping my floor singing along with the music!  Seemed to clean up the top end too, more focus & a bit more air.  Strange as have usually been a fan of coupling, but thinking about it, I was using a concrete floor back then.  You could try these cheaper, someone on AoS got 8x for £25 (40M50D):

http://www.qtasystems.co.uk/articles/how-to-use-sorbothane-hemispheres.htm

@ the OP there's a pair on eBay at quite a low bid, but aren't looking in the best condition & have seen better doping on the cones...
  • I'd certainly like to hear them in my place, but $800 is more than I paid for the RR3s! Are they stocked anywhere in the UK?

Yet my whole room seems live, not just the floor - my previous room was thick concrete for floor, ceiling and walls. I've learned to listen through the current room's additions, and I don't think I hear them when I'm fully engaged.

But I now you've made me want to experiment with decoupling!
  • For sure it is the floor that gets the room and walls going, I wholeheartedly recommend trying Sorbothane or squishy decoupling. Yeah am not going to be trying Magellan subs anytime soon, but I know to beat the RR3s in the midrange will take many thousands... 

Back to the OP all Minstrels I have had required some degumming, so when you find some make sure you read this guide: http://www.roydaudio.org/articles/repairing-gummed-up-drivers/
  • That's the thing, isn't it? I'm pretty sure it's going to take a lot of wonga to move on.

But, I'm reminded that @Alan of this parish moved over to a pair of Triangles that he didn't pay too much for. I must find my way over to his place to hear them.

So maybe I'm wrong.

Have you tried Sorbothane under your components?
  • edited November 2017
    Yes my turntable used to be on sorbothane and acrylic, now my CD transport is on it. The amp is on Black Ravioli and the preamp and DAC, and speakers, are on IsoNodes that are similar to sorbothane (visco elastIc polymer). 
  • And where has it helped most?
  • Under the speakers. 
  • Some Royd Abbots over on pfm at the moment, for £200 squids.
  • edited November 2017
    Yomanze said:
    Under the speakers. 

Thanks. Let's see what Santa brings me ;-)
  • 25 squids to try, could be a nice stocking filler. :P 
  • Could be ;-)