Listening to ...

Comments

• Some great couplets in this... :-)

And if you're not doing some kind of weird hip-hop / voguing / strutting movements around your room by the end, then you and me are on two wavelengths...
  • John Coltrane - Live at Birdland

If you want to hear a jazz band burning, just listen to this. It's all four of them putting everything into it. 

And if you like drummers, Elvin's performance is one of the most jaw-dropping I can think of.
  • Docfoster said:
    Some great couplets in this... :-)

And if you're not doing some kind of weird hip-hop / voguing / strutting movements around your room by the end, then you and me are on two wavelengths...
    I'll give it a go, sir!

No guarantee about the voguing, though.
  • John Martyn - Live at Leeds and More

I kind of thought the 'and more' bit was little more than filler, but this afternoon, while setting up a Google AdWords Campaign, I realise there's some excellent stuff in there. More good than filler.
  • The Cure - Faith
  • edited November 2017
    D.O.P. “D.O.P. Chant”

https://youtu.be/iJ-S0L16WN8
  • Old & New Dreams - Playing

Don Cherry, Dewey Redman, Charlie Haden & Ed Blackwell. Ornette Coleman alumni, all. The band played Ornette tunes, plus their own material in the style of Ornette's acoustic quartets.

Nothing on YT from the album. There is this, though. Also live, but a few years earlier.

Now tell me ECM is only about ambient jazz :-)
  • Tigran Hamasyan & The Yerevan State Chamber Choir - Luys i Luso

Get your groove pants out for:

• Jakob Bro - Gefion

The first of the Danish Guitarist's albums on ECM, and every bit as good as the second. Jon Christensen on drums is an interesting contrast to Joey Baron, who succeeded him.

Couldn't find anything from the album on YT, so here's a live version of one of the tracks:

It's louder and more out than the album track. And has Baron rather than Christensen in the drum seat.
  • Bill Frisell & Joey Baron - Follow Your Heart

You may notice it's John McLaughlin's tune from My Goal's Beyond. Previously, Arjen's Bag from Extrapolation.

Go on, give it go. It's very different from Frisell's gig at Elvis's gaff that I posted a few days ago.
  • Tim Berne's Snakeoil - Incidentals

Nothing worthwhile from the album on YT, but there is this live gig from the band.

They make one glorious noise! I need to see them live again.
  • edited December 2017
    Karine Polwart "What are you waiting for?"

https://karinepolwart.bandcamp.com/track/what-are-you-waiting-for

• uglymusic said:
    Bill Frisell & Joey Baron - Follow Your Heart

You may notice it's John McLaughlin's tune from My Goal's Beyond. Previously, Arjen's Bag from Extrapolation.

Go on, give it go. It's very different from Frisell's gig at Elvis's gaff that I posted a few days ago.

Thanks Dave.
    I enjoyed the social relationship and communications between the two of them.
    The music I liked less than at Elvis' gaff.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Bill Frisell & Joey Baron - Follow Your Heart

Thanks Dave.
    I enjoyed the social relationship and communications between the two of them.
    The music I liked less than at Elvis' gaff.
    I'm glad you got something out of it, but it doesn't surprise me this isn't your favourite. While I love Frisell doing this kind of stuff (some people call it 'heavy metal Frisell'!), the gig at Elvis' is very special.
  • Docfoster said:

You've gone all folky!
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:

You've gone all folky!

Yes. Sorry about that.
    Now fully recovered.
  • Pablo Moses "Lonely Singer"

• edited December 2017
    PWOG* "A Kind of Prayer"

* P.W.O.G. = "Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia" (Yes I know. But I really like their music.)

• edited December 2017
    Docfoster said:
    PWOG* "A Kind of Prayer"

* P.W.O.G. = "Psychick Warriors Ov Gaia" (Yes I know. But I really like their music.)

And don’t just take my word for it.

• Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:

You've gone all folky!

Yes. Sorry about that.
    Now fully recovered.
    Phew!

You had me worried there.
  • Docfoster said:
    Pablo Moses "Lonely Singer"

Very nice. 

Very dangerous. It may get me back on my reggae kick.
  • Docfoster said:
    Docfoster said:
    PWOG* "A Kind of Prayer"

And don’t just take my word for it.

The snowman looks happy too!
  • Docfoster said:
    PWOG* "A Kind of Prayer"

I rilly luv da spellin. 
  • Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
  • Alan said:
    Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
    Some great stuff on that. :-)
  • MLO Productions "Ghost" (Inner Dawn Mix)

No sign of a play anywhere on the web, so unless you have a copy of "Chill out or Die 2", you'll just have to imagine it.

• Docfoster said:
    MLO Productions "Ghost" (Inner Dawn Mix)

No sign of a play anywhere on the web, so unless you have a copy of "Chill out or Die 2", you'll just have to imagine it.

OK. You win this week's obscurity prize. It's so obscure that no one can find it :-)
  • Trouble Funk - Trouble Funk Express

Having a Go-Go morning. This always makes me laugh. The absolute antithesis of Kraftwerk's machine music.
  • Starting the weekend with:

Nils-Petter Molvaer - Khmer

I can't find the album or tracks on YT (there are a few live videos on there), but go find it on your favourite streaming service or - even better - buy the CD or vinyl. It's now 20 years old, but it still sounds fresh and surprising, when its mix of jazz, ambient, EDM, electronica and so on seemed to spring fully formed from nowhere.
  • One for you, Chris (@cj66), perhaps?

Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun

• edited December 2017
    You're right there Dave. Tough to choose between this and Welcome To Sky Valley.......
    So play both!

At the other end of the musical scale I was enjoying some Sati this morning.
  • edited December 2017
    Big Daddy Kane "Calling Mr. Welfare"

• cj66 said:
    You're right there Dave. Tough to choose between this and Welcome To Sky Valley.......
    So play both!

At the other end of the musical scale I was enjoying some Sati this morning.
    I must play Welcome To Sky Valley. I'm not sure I know it.

You're so much of a contrarian, Chris ;-)
  • Always enjoy a bit of Sati. On Plastikman Artifakts at the mo tho.
  • Oh, Sati. Not Satie ;-)
  • Maybe I shouldn't mention this by name...

Edward Vesala, Sound & Fury - Ode to the Death of Jazz

There's a surprising amount of Vesala material on YouTube, but nothing from Ode... So here's a track from a later Sound & Fury album:

The Death of Jazz, BTW, was how many 'progressive' jazz musicians saw the revisionist tendencies of Wynton Marsalis et al during the 80s. Strangely enough, as some have pointed out, this album doesn't sound hugely like jazz, with its composed-sounding sections and almost classical-sounding stiffness.

Despite all that, I like it. Vesala was a maverick with his own creative tributary to jazz.
  • The Incredible String Band. Remember them, you old hippies?

Well, I just came across this, from their main man in 2014:

Robin Williamson - Trusting in the Rising Light

With violist Mat Maneri and percussionist Ches Smith. It's an English/Irish folk and free music hybrid. Not his only album on ECM, either. 

Here's a solo rendition of one of the pieces on the album:

• Still having my daily dose of ECM, from which comes this rather lovely nugget:

Tigran Hamasyan, Yerevan State Chamber Choir, Herutyu Topikyan - Luys I Luso

If you've ever been seduced by Arvo Part's music, there's more than a chance you'll like this. There's a similar mood of dreamy exoticism. Plus there's a bit of Keith Jarrett's non-jazz output here somewhere.

A live rendition of some of this stuff:

• Various Artists - Soul Jazz Records Presents Dancehall, The Rise of Jamaican Dancehall Culture

I have a soft spot for Soul Jazz's compilations, and this one is well up to standard.
  • Food - Mercurial Balm

This live video gives you a flavour of the album.
  • Elisabeth Valletti - 'Innocenti'

Wild Strawberries - 'Heroine

• Alan said:
    Elisabeth Valletti - 'Innocenti'

Wild Strawberries - 'Heroine

Who they?
  • 'Liz is an Italian operatic folk artist, Wild Strawberries were a Canadian indie-pop beats combo, IIRC.

Oddly I've had their album for donkeys years, thought it was a buying mistake and never liked it. However it is one of my faves now, superb artists and they really got off on sound, lovely production values. 
  • Alan said:

And seriously, I recall the Cylons having a really coolly effected voice. Obviously a person's but with a synthesised feel about it. Squelchy, with bass and trebly extenuated I bet it sounds good on a decent system.
  • uglymusic said:
    Various Artists - Soul Jazz Records Presents Dancehall, The Rise of Jamaican Dancehall Culture

I have a soft spot for Soul Jazz's compilations, and this one is well up to standard.
    Love it. Best new tune I've heard in a while. A few drop outs and plenty of echo, and I'm very happy. :-)

• Docfoster said:
    Alan said:

And seriously, I recall the Cylons having a really coolly effected voice. Obviously a person's but with a synthesised feel about it. Squelchy, with bass and trebly extenuated I bet it sounds good on a decent system.
    "By your command...."
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Various Artists - Soul Jazz Records Presents Dancehall, The Rise of Jamaican Dancehall Culture

Love it. Best new tune I've heard in a while. A few drop outs and plenty of echo, and I'm very happy. :-)

I thought it might hit home with you, Ben.

I remember it when it came out, but I don't remember a lot of stuff on the compilation.
  • Alan said:
    'Liz is an Italian operatic folk artist, Wild Strawberries were a Canadian indie-pop beats combo, IIRC.

Oddly I've had their album for donkeys years, thought it was a buying mistake and never liked it. However it is one of my faves now, superb artists and they really got off on sound, lovely production values. 
    Did you really say 'operatic folk artist'? How can that be? I'm not sure I dare search any out!

I've had the only making sense of an album many years after buying it many times. But that could be something to do with my taste in music ;-)