What are your system details and upgrade plans this year? 

Comments

• edited January 2018
    https://flic.kr/p/FmLPkE

I'm completely thrilled with this, it's a network player with audio bells and whistles. It knocks every music computer I've yet heard into a cocked hat, is utterly stable, and is controlled via smart phone or pad.

Has integrated Tidal, Roon, probably loads of other stuff I could subscribe to... it runs a version of Linux supplied and maintained by the manufacturer... rather than being a computer optimised for audio, it was designed from ground up for audio only so has a minimal custom circuit board, linear power management, USB output made for audio...

Nerdy stuff aside it sounds lovely. The plan is to add a Colin power supply for it.
  • https://flic.kr/p/228h5RH

A pile of EWA heavy metal. A non standard M50 power amp with some very fast output devices (a pre production adventure which would cost too much to implement).

Pre amp is an early prototype in a scrap case (which actually has 'Claymore Retro' scrawled across it). It will get recased to match the M50 and have the selector switch gear installed. It is actually the pre I was going to build:

https://flic.kr/p/22pXjej

This has a very special input which I can't really explain, other than it is a RIAA followed by a reverse RIAA stage - according to da boss this restores correct phase across the audible range. It certainly sounds really good compared to the 'vanilla' line input, bass sounds very like my Garrard 401 did.

Both these amps now have EWA MC-5 power cables.
  • https://flic.kr/p/23uBoV2

I love my 'little' Triangles, they have a little extra bracing now, all new wadding (Colin's idea) and modified ports. All rewired internally with the scrap Tellurium Q cables I was left with after upgrading to EWA. Also recapped crossovers under Colin's tutelage.

They might get treated to another wiring upgrade this year.

All new interconnects and speaker cabling, one of the biggest upgrades I ever heard in any system I've owned: EWA LS-25 and IC-5.

https://flic.kr/p/228hWDD

https://flic.kr/p/23rSd15
  • edited January 2018
    Alan said:
    https://flic.kr/p/FmLPkE

I'm completely thrilled with this, it's a network player with audio bells and whistles. It knocks every music computer I've yet heard into a cocked hat, is utterly stable, and is controlled via smart phone or pad.

Has integrated Tidal, Roon, probably loads of other stuff I could subscribe to... it runs a version of Linux supplied and maintained by the manufacturer... rather than being a computer optimised for audio, it was designed from ground up for audio only so has a minimal custom circuit board, linear power management, USB output made for audio...

Nerdy stuff aside it sounds lovely. The plan is to add a Colin power supply for it.
    You bought one?

I must compare it with the RPi I have at the moment, although from what I've read, the SOtM should kick it into the next field.

I should also ask if it has a Minimserver setting, which I understand the next model up has.
  • Alan said:
    https://flic.kr/p/228h5RH

A pile of EWA heavy metal. A non standard M50 power amp with some very fast output devices (a pre production adventure which would cost too much to implement).

Pre amp is an early prototype in a scrap case (which actually has 'Claymore Retro' scrawled across it). It will get recased to match the M50 and have the selector switch gear installed. It is actually the pre I was going to build:

https://flic.kr/p/22pXjej

This has a very special input which I can't really explain, other than it is a RIAA followed by a reverse RIAA stage - according to da boss this restores correct phase across the audible range. It certainly sounds really good compared to the 'vanilla' line input, bass sounds very like my Garrard 401 did.

Both these amps now have EWA MC-5 power cables.
    Love the natural finish on the pre-amp faceplate.
  • My plans this year are to build the bi-amped monster SECA with crossovers Colin and I have been talking about.

I'll also be looking at upgrading the digital front end. How? I'm not sure yet.

Aside from that, I may be looking at replacing the now seven-year-old Synology NAS with a more up-to-date (read: more powerful) model so I'll be able to do more with it for home and business. Specifically, hi-fi-wise, I want to have Bliss running on the NAS, rather than on a spare Mac or (soon) an RPi.

Oh, and I want to hardwire the network to that it's running fast(-ish) Ethernet rather than increasingly creaky wi-fi as we run more an more over it. Should be interesting to hear what that does to SQ if anything.
  • edited January 2018
    uglymusic said:
    My plans this year are to build the bi-amped monster SECA with crossovers Colin and I have been talking about.

Aside from that, I may be looking at replacing the now seven-year-old Synology NAS with a more up-to-date (read: more powerful) model so I'll be able to do more with it for home and business. Specifically, hi-fi-wise, I want to have Bliss running on the NAS, rather than on a spare Mac or (soon) an RPi.

Oh, and I want to hardwire the network to that it's running fast(-ish) Ethernet rather than increasingly creaky wi-fi as we run more an more over it. Should be interesting to hear what that does to SQ if anything.
    Seven years?  I remember you replacing the drobo... I'm shocked we've known each other so long!

I need to get a powerful NAS I think. I was toying with making one of a RPi and some hard drives, should be doable. Think I might wait for catastrophic failure of my Qnap first, it's the way I roll...

Pretty sure the SOtM does Minimserver and all the Logitech LMS stuff too. At the moment BubbleUPnP is all I use, although I understand Roon is life-changing. Which is why I don't want to try it, even with the SOtM subs offer.
  • Just checked, Minimserver is a main feature. Google Eunhasu, it's the UI of the operating system. Although it's titled Eunhasu music player, it doesn't actually play music. 
  • Alan, your system is on the march!
    Really interesting to see how different it is from a few years back.
    Keep us informed of how things continue progress!

To answer your question, I suspect maybe no great purchases for me this year. Possibly no great changes at all, as long as my current kit survives 2018.
    I've been really enthused by the diy speaker stuff, so another build is feeling like my next hifi acquisition. This time I want to build my own crossover from scratch, so that'll be the challenge. Not sure when it'll happen though. I'm really busy ATM renovating a property that a friend and I have bought. Doing most of the work ourselves. Also need to put a new kitchen in my house this summer. So, the speaker build may fall off the to-do list till next year.
    Looks like I'll be able to live vicariously through your developments though! :-)

• I reckon you could build a concealed, masonary back loaded horn into tour place...
  • Alan said:
    I reckon you could build a concealed, masonary back loaded horn into tour place...

Yes!
  • Alan said:
    uglymusic said:
    My plans this year are to build the bi-amped monster SECA with crossovers Colin and I have been talking about.

Seven years?  I remember you replacing the drobo... I'm shocked we've known each other so long!

I need to get a powerful NAS I think. I was toying with making one of a RPi and some hard drives, should be doable. Think I might wait for catastrophic failure of my Qnap first, it's the way I roll...

Pretty sure the SOtM does Minimserver and all the Logitech LMS stuff too. At the moment BubbleUPnP is all I use, although I understand Roon is life-changing. Which is why I don't want to try it, even with the SOtM subs offer.
    It feels at least that long (oh. Did I say something wrong there?) :-)

The Drobo was a horrible thing. Let me say here and now, I never want to be in the same room with one of those again.

The RPi NAS is not going to be the fastest thing on earth, particularly if you're going to implement RAID. But with one drive, it'll probably do the trick. I'm possibly going to build one, though, as a backup for the Syno. I have a number of unused external drives laying around and it should put them to a good use.

I've decided, for the moment, that Roon is not something for me. I've been buying into the Open Source world bigtime with the RPis and Linux on the NAS. Whichever way, you trade labour for software, it seems, either by piling up some dosh and buying it or by spending hours researching, configuring and tweaking the free stuff. But, ultimately, I love the messing about with Open Source and the whole model of sharing code and knowledge.
  • I've just seen this. It would be a great thing in the office system if I can just put the existing RPi and DAC inside it.

Defo somewhere on the shopping list.