How big's "big"?; How small's "small"?

edited January 2018 in Other hi-fi gear
Relating to some recent chat about listening room sizes...
I'm wondering what measurements would constitute the threshold's between people's concepts of "big room", "small room" and "middle room". And for your particular system (speakers?), is there a "Goldilocks" size room...?

My room is 3.2m x 8.5m. Which I suppose I'd say was "medium". Tbh I'd like to try trading some of that length for a bit of extra width. (Knowing wink to the camera...)

(Though I'd accept the elimination of some of the compromises that the perfect symmetry of the room furnishings has had to make with its other function as a family living space. (Formal acknowledgement of the compromises that the good lady wife makes in the other direction...))

Comments

• While we're comparing sizes, mine is about the same.
  • My room is 6.2 x 5.4m.  It allows my big Ushers to breathe and does not load up easily at the volumes I listen at.  I think just as important is that it has a ceramic tiled floor and is not built over a concrete void like my previous house.  It allowed me to add room treatment, rug and furnishings to taste.

Probably still too small for monster speakers, though.  No Focal Grande Utopias or Wilson Alexandrias for me!
  • I seem to remember from somewhere that in building regs terms, a small room is 10.25m2 or less.
    So if we throw in a random figure of 20m2 as medium and 30m2 as large, for a modern build single function room, that might be a starting point?

The room my audio stuff was last set up in was approx. 7x8m. Sadly now still in boxes except the headphones set up.

P.s.
    No room envy please guys!
  • My room is about one and a half great white sharks by hammerhead.
  • cj66 said:
    I seem to remember from somewhere that in building regs terms, a small room is 10.25m2 or less.
    So if we throw in a random figure of 20m2 as medium and 30m2 as large, for a modern build single function room, that might be a starting point?
    Great stuff. Official, cast-iron, internally recognised standards. Thank you. :-)

cj66 said:
    The room my audio stuff was last set up in was approx. 7x8m. Sadly now still in boxes except the headphones set up.
    I had no idea. When are you hoping to free them again...?

• edited January 2018
    Alan said:
    My room is about one and a half great white sharks by hammerhead.

You're proposing new units of measurements for listening rooms.
    I like it. Especially the use of different measurement for length and width.
  • edited January 2018
    Can we have those measurements accurate to the n'th tooth please ;)
  • Docfoster said:
    Alan said:
    My room is about one and a half great white sharks by hammerhead.

You're proposing new units of measurements for listening rooms.
    I like it. Especially the use of different measurement for length and width.
    It could be numeric units, say base shark, with the same units of measurement used in each dimension, of course.