Cymande at Ronnie Scott's

One week and counting. :-)
Very excited.

(Not sure what I feel about seeing the band who wrote the soundtrack to my spiritual life in a venue that sells 50g of Sevrugga caviar for £150... But hey-ho, at least we bought non-dining tickets...)

Comments

• Gosh, that's coming round quickly. Looking forward to hearing your response to it all, including impact of venue!
  • Ronnie's has changed since the days when I used to roll in after the pubs closed to catch the last set.

I'm bound to say 'not for the better', but Ronnie's is still open, which is a great thing.

They also used to have the best live sound anywhere. I hope the new owners haven't buggered that up.

Enjoy!
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Gosh, that's coming round quickly. Looking forward to hearing your response to it all, including impact of venue!
    Will do!
  • uglymusic said:
    They also used to have the best live sound anywhere. I hope the new owners haven't buggered that up.

Enjoy!
    Thanks Dave. And that’s encouraging.
    When I saw them at The Barbican a couple of years ago, the sound was unspeakably terrible. I was hoping that Ronnie’a should be ok at worst. Fingers crossed.
  • Really enjoyable.
    Venue ok. Sound fine.
    Performance excellent. Band were charming. Song choices pleasing.
    Highlights for me were Bra, Willy’s headache and The Message.
    Managed to grab a few words after the gig with my all time bass hero Steve Scipio from the band. He was very gracious. I was very embarrassing.
    A good night.
  • Cool. It sounds like a good gig, and it's always good to talk to your heroes. I spoke to Elvin Jones after a gig at Ronnie's. I'll never forget that.

Sounds as if the sound wasn't exceptional, though. How to mess up priorities...
  • I envy you both your courage to speak to your heroes like that. Ben, excellent news they continue to work their magic for you!
  • edited February 2018
    Suzy6toes said:
    I envy you both your courage to speak to your heroes like that. Ben, excellent news they continue to work their magic for you!
    It didn’t really constitute “speaking”.
    It would be better described as “babbling” and “mumbling”.
  • edited February 2018
    uglymusic said:
    Cool. It sounds like a good gig, and it's always good to talk to your heroes. I spoke to Elvin Jones after a gig at Ronnie's. I'll never forget that.

Sounds as if the sound wasn't exceptional, though. How to mess up priorities...
    Absolutely fine, but not exceptional no, no. Not where I was sat anyway.
    i walked across the room to go the toilet a couple of times and the sound improved towards the centre of the space. We were off to the right. It was slightly thin sounding over there. Absolutely fine. But not exceptional.
    important to point out that I doubt if anyone other than audiophile pedants like us would care or even notice.
    And it’s well designed to give a good view from anywhere.
  • edited February 2018
    One for my scrapbook...
    Basically the guy is my favourite living bassist, musician and song writer bar none.
  • ...and there was me thinking you'd gone to London but actually no, I never knew there was a Ronnie Scott's in Australia!
    >:)
  • cj66 said:
    ...and there was me thinking you'd gone to London but actually no, I never knew there was a Ronnie Scott's in Australia!
    Hmmm.
    i’m thinking the photo maybe inverted on some devices...
    And there I was feeling smug that i’d managed to do the whole thing, from selfie to posting, successfully on my phone.
  • cj66 said:
    ...and there was me thinking you'd gone to London but actually no, I never knew there was a Ronnie Scott's in Australia!

There was I thinking they were going out of the way to give us a detailed view of their nostril hair :-)
  • Docfoster said:
    cj66 said:
    Hmmm.
    And there I was feeling smug that i’d managed to do the whole thing, from selfie to posting, successfully on my phone.

Oh, only some?
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    cj66 said:
    Hmmm.

Oh, only some?
    Well there’s at least one (this one, my phone) on which it appears the right way round.
    So yes, some not all.
    i’ll try to sort it when I get a mo.
  • edited February 2018
    How does this one look?
    It’s upside down for me.

• It's the right way up for me..... if i turn my phone upside down :wink:
  • Suzy6toes said:
    It's the right way up for me..... if i turn my phone upside down :wink:
    That’s my kind of work-around...
    :-)
  • Suzy6toes said:
    It's the right way up for me..... if i turn my phone upside down :wink: