The Last Jedi

Just been.
Really enjoyed it.
Some themes that really appealed to me.
Some great moments, and a slightly new feel overall.
Unusually the second half I enjoyed more than the first.
Not perfect, but I’d definitely recommend. (I am a big Star Wars fan though.)

Comments

• There are some stinky poo reviews around.
    How would you rate it against the previous instalment?
  • I haven't seen it, but friends who have seem to have liked it. (FWIW)
  • edited December 2017
    cj66 said:
    How would you rate it against the previous instalment?
    I’m finding I have 2 answers to that.
    1. The huge nostalgic reboot of the Star Wars franchise provided by The Force Awakens was such an emotional experience for me, I’m having to work hard to compare its cinematic merits with The Last Jedi.
    2. I see metacritic is currently rating The Last Jedi as 86/100. The Force Awakens is 81. That seems about right relatively speaking, though both are probably a few marks too high imho.
    Loads of positives, but there was a section somewhere in the middle of The Last Jedi that I could have done without, although it did provide the stage for a nice cameo. I found some of the peripheral creatures a bit distracting / silly. Luke was a bit dreary in the first half, but this allowed for a scene when he gets a refreshing kick in the pants that propels him into a more pleasing persona.
    Those are just the negatives, mind. Loads of positives. I probably need to see the film again to properly assess.
  • uglymusic said:
    I haven't seen it, but friends who have seem to have liked it. (FWIW)
    That’s reassuring. :-)
    Though I’m thinking it’d be a hard film to dislike. Lots in there for everyone, or at least most-one.
  • Had some good funny moments too btw.
    In fact, afaic I think it may have passed the Kermode-Mayo “6 laughs [needed to constitute a comedy film]” test.
    All were appropriately contained too, so left the film’s gravitas in tact.
  • edited December 2017
    Saw it again today.
    Was struck by how differently I experienced the two halves of the film. I enjoyed the second far more. During the some parts of first half today I was even thinking “Hmmm...is this actuallt a bit of a stinker...?” But, the second half is great. Enough to redeem the film as a whole. The second half seems to act as something of a reinvention of the franchise. Which I welcomed given it was done well, and introduces some good new, more nuanced themes.
    For me, there is clearly a scene that acts as the midway point, from which the film really kicks-off. I loved that scene. Impossible to discuss without spoilers. ;-)
  • I watch the one before this it left me thinking what a load of crap, poor acting no story line so much impression can't even recall it's name, just pure crap
  • Me too sheer rubbish.See you next week cuz
  • AntiCrap said:
    I watch the one before this it left me thinking what a load of crap, poor acting no story line so much impression can't even recall it's name, just pure crap
    Worthy of a ban, surely...?
  • Have to agree I'm afraid, it was pretty pants. (i.e. previous outing).
    My kids agree too, although they used stronger language!
    I'll wait for this one to hit the download/ streaming lists as I have zero confidence in its potential.

Maybe a rename ...... Star Woes! Especially to wind up Ben >:)
  • edited December 2017
    The film is certainly dividing opinion.
    Maybe psychologists can use it as a personality test...  B)
    I can only restate how much I genuinely enjoyed the second half. :-)
  • Do they have fast forward/skip chapter at the cinema? :D
    Do you think anyone else would mind? ;)

Putting giant stirring spoon and winding key back in the cupboard now.....
  • I have just seen this and really wish I hadn't bothered. Sorry but it was a total load of cobblers, out of the eight films it comes in tenth. I will certainly not be looking out for number nine. A very weak plot, weaker characters and slung together with total abandon.
    Maybe the makers are bored of it as well!

Next on my list are Hostiles and Valarian.
  • Rewatch Attack of the clones.
  • CJ66 right on the last 3 are crap like the latest Bladerunner.