Listening to ...

Comments

• Ha! It's not my cuppa to be honest but it is very very good. I like to revisit it every year or two.

I'e a feeling Jerry #JandL100 gave this to me. I haven't seen him on a forum for years!
  • I find it difficult to reconcile me not liking music with it being good (seriously). But you have piqued my interest, and I have Tidal open on my iMac so...

I thought Jerry was a stalwart of forums. That's a bit of a surprise.
  • edited January 2018
    @Alan The albums I found weren't really operatic and didn't touch folk. They were electronica, I suppose - maybe the wrong person? I don't know.
  • Chris (@cj66) I finally got around to it! I'm currently listening in the nearfield at neighbour-bothering levels (the joy of working at home when everyone else is either out at work or slightly deaf (I kid you not)).

Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley

Luvvit! And difficult to choose between it and Blues for the Red Sun. 

• Definitely a case of if you like one you'll like the other.

Rattling my eardrums tonight is an old fave from 20 odd years ago.
    The combination of the sombre themes and almost understated power are another high volume pleaser >:)

The previous outing is a little more raw? but just as good.

• I don't know them Screaming Trees. 

Shall investigate tomorrow.
  • edited January 2018
    John Frum "Healing Dub"

• Lee Perry & Dub Syndicate "Secret Laboratory"

• uglymusic said:
    I don't know them Screaming Trees. 

I bet you know Mark Lenagan, it's his band before going solo/collaborative.
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    I don't know them Screaming Trees. 

I bet you know Mark Lenagan, it's his band before going solo/collaborative.
    I quite liked Dust. Got interrupted during Sweet Oblivion, but I think I wasn't liking it as much. I'll have to remember to give it another go.

Mark Lenagan is a name that pops up all over the place, but I'm not sure I've heard too much of his work.
  • Aha!
    Try Whisky For The Holy Ghost and Blues Funeral. Very different to each other but both great.
    I've not heard his latest Gargoyle yet so off I go...
  • Righty-ho, Sir. I have Whiskey For The Holy Ghost starting right now!
  • I very much like Blues Funeral, indeed I think I know the second track Bleeding Muddy Water. Sounds familiar, anyway. Not so keen on Whisky For The Holy Ghost. 

I'm about half-way through Gargoyle, which seems almost as good as Blues Funeral on the strength of first plays for both. Thoughts may change after a few listens, but the two ML Band albums would be keepers if I'd bought them!
  • edited January 2018
    Yes I liked it too. Look up a track called Burning Jacob's Ladder, written for a game and one of my faves by him.
    Gargoyle lead me to a band called Abouretum, never heard of them before but liking what I've delved into thus far.... Folkey/new rock/tinge of prog.
  • Arboretum? You sure it wasn't their stripped down touring line-up?

• Oumou Sangare - Worotan

What can I say? West African music at its very best. Hypnotic, swinging and absorbing other influences without giving up an atom of its own unique identity. And Sangare is one of the world's great female vocalists, IMO. 
  • The Thing - Boot!

• PWOG “A Kind of Prayer"

• Johnny Dyani - Witchdoctor's Son

Often forgotten these days, owing to his tragically early death in 1986(?), South African, Dyani was (and still is, IMHO) in the top tier of jazz bassists. I love his playing and am always on the lookout for more. 
  • Docfoster said:
    PWOG “A Kind of Prayer"

It's kind of jolly :-)
  • Keeping it simple at the mo.....

• cj66 said:
    Keeping it simple at the mo.....

No kiddin'!
  • REM - Automatic for the People

FWIW, my favourite REM album.
  • For me it's Document closely followed by Out Of Time.
  • AFTP is the only one I know well.
    And I do like it. Very much.
    Is the sound a bit a thin iirc?
  • Not sure how to get those links to work :(
  • Good question! I'll have a look in Spotify.

But there is this, in the meantime:

• edited February 2018
    Hideo Yamaki, Bill Laswell et al - Inaugural Sound Clash for the 2 Americas (Against the Empire of Alternative Facts)

A recording of a live gig at The Stone in NYC.

Nothing on YT :-(

So here it is on Tidal 

https://tidal.com/track/72329300

It's the first time I've knowingly heard Yamaki. What a fantastic drummer!
  • edited February 2018
    Listening now, that first track sounded like a much trippier version of the first track on Yes "Close To The Edge"...... and continues to have little reminders of same still. Controlled anarchy in a good way, almost math rock style. I like it!

Oh, it's on Spotify as well.
  • cj66 said:
    Listening now, that first track sounded like a much trippier version of the first track on Yes "Close To The Edge"...... and continues to have little reminders of same still. Controlled anarchy in a good way, almost math rock style. I like it!

Oh, it's on Spotify as well.

Just searching for Close To The Edge on Tidal. Haven't listened to Yes for so long, I just don't know.

I think I can see what you mean.

I imagine the Yamaki/Laswell was a one-off with that line-up, and mainly improvised, although the musicians would have played with each other before in different combinations. So probably more controlled anarchy than anything else ;-)
  • Cecil Taylor Unit - One Too Many Salty Swift And Not Goodbye

Cecil Taylor. The one giant of free jazz I have to circle with care. One day his music will make total sense, but not today!

• Cuong Vu Trio with Pat Metheny

In which Miles Davis' fantastic electric legacy from the 70s informs amazing, sometimes edgy music from the 2010s.  And Metheny brings with him his learnings from Ornette Coleman. 

These days, the Tradition isn't just Duke Ellington, Lester Young and Louis Armstrong, the controversial music of the more recent past has been absorbed and made mainstream. Well, maybe not exactly mainstream, but a valid way of conducting this thing with the jazz label attached. 

• edited February 2018
    I'd never heard of this lady before I heard her interview on R5L today.
    They played this while I was plastering a kitchen ceiling.
    Rather nice and unexpected. Especially the chorus. :-)

• Docfoster said:
    Lee Perry & Dub Syndicate "Secret Laboratory"

Just scrolled back to see if there was anything I hadn't listened to, and found this. Me likey!
  • Second only to their original "Ten" album, "Yield"  must be a very close second...

• cj66 said:
    Second only to their original "Ten" album, "Yield"  must be a very close second...

Enjoying it, sir.
  • I was having a wee listen to....

enjoying until the slide guitarist reminded me of another artist!

>:)

• Submerged and Bill Laswell - After Such Knowledge, What Forgiveness?

Nothing from this album on YT, but here's something else by the same guys.

• Bill Laswell - Means of Deliverance (solo)

There's nothing on YT, alas, but it's on Tidal, so I guess it's also on Spotify. Sounds like he's playing an acoustic bass guitar on some of it. Just really nice music, without showing off.

What think you, Ben? I'm not sure if you have any streaming music.

• King Tubby "Confinement Dub"

• Andrew Cyrille Quartet - The Declaration of Musical Independence

Possibly the best jazz album I've heard this year (although it was released two years ago). It's not on YT, but here's a Spotify link:

https://open.spotify.com/album/1zq6vdSPpDeana4g5AqVpH?si=ZJPQdUDWSGWyC2u-KTxITg
  • I've been binge watching KEXP on YouTube into the hifi. Loads of wonderful artists playing in a live setting, with great production values. Today:

Jonathan Wilson
    Seun Kuti and Egypt 80
    Bonobo
    Spoon
    Benjamin Booker
    The Midnight Revolution

(Check out the last one - what a find!)
  • I'll have to check them out. Thanks Alan.

I've never managed to get my TV to work through my system. How are you doing it, through the Young or the pre-amp?
  • Yup, optical from TV to Young DAC, job done! 
  • Must give it a go again.
  • This is a good one for slowly slipping your way down a bottle of your favourite  poison...

• edited April 2018
    uglymusic said:
    I'll have to check them out. Thanks Alan.

I've never managed to get my TV to work through my system. How are you doing it, through the Young or the pre-amp?
    I know it's not normal usage but a problem I've met on modern TVs that was easy on old ones is:-

Plugging sound only INTO  the tv. Without a video line trigger you have no joy.
    Why? I was in the habit of plugging a potable music player into the back of TVs  but now it seems you can't.
    :/