Listening to ...

Comments

• cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    I'll have to check them out. Thanks Alan.

I've never managed to get my TV to work through my system. How are you doing it, through the Young or the pre-amp?
    I know it's not normal usage but a problem I've met on modern TVs that was easy on old ones is:-

Plugging sound only INTO  the tv. Without a video line trigger you have no joy.
    Why? I was in the habit of plugging a potable music player into the back of TVs  but now it seems you can't.
    :/
    What a strange thing to do!
  • Arve Henriksen - Cartography (Hi-Res FLAC)

Back into Norwegian jazz/ambient/electronica land. I can't get enough of this stuff!

The album is on your favourite streaming service (along with all things ECM), but here's a live gig with David Sylvian (a guest on the album):

• cj66 said:
    This is a good one for slowly slipping your way down a bottle of your favourite  poison...

Nice.
  • Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer: Drum Hat Buddha

Gorgeous country folk laden with existentialist Buddhism, arthutian legend, written almost as entirely metaphor, but a true American folk performance. Stunning and tragic back story to these two, with Joan Baez speaking of Dave Carter's song writing in the same terms as she does Dylan. Tracy just melts me, especially on 'Disappearing Man'.

Well worth reading the music matters interview with these two while listening.

Available on Bandcamp finally (been looking for this CD for seven years!). 10/10 from me.

https://davecartertracygrammer.bandcamp.com/album/drum-hat-buddha

• edited April 2018
    uglymusic said:

I've never managed to get my TV to work through my system. How are you doing it, through the Young or the pre-amp?

uglymusic said:
    cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:

I know it's not normal usage but a problem I've met on modern TVs that was easy on old ones is:-

Why? I was in the habit of plugging a potable music player into the back of TVs  but now it seems you can't.
    It was a habit started when installing audio/video systems and followed on to hotel stays.
    Have to remember to pack a USB drive now.

It just seems a backward step taking into account our do everything smart-phones, these now need a separate speaker or an adaptor....unless it's a smart TV.
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:

uglymusic said:
    cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:

It was a habit started when installing audio/video systems and followed on to hotel stays.
    Have to remember to pack a USB drive now.

It just seems a backward step taking into account our do everything smart-phones, these now need a separate speaker or an adaptor....unless it's a smart TV.

File under: Chris moves in mysterious ways ;-)

• Nils Petter Molvær. Live In Hamburg (2001)

Recorded at Technics JazzPort Festival, Hamburg

Trumpet - Nils Petter Molvær
    Guitar - Eivind Aarset
    Bass - Audun Erlien
    Drums, Percussion - Rune Arnesen
    Beat Programming - Raymond Pellicer
    Computer [Dj] - Strangefruit   

• Pharoah Sanders & Sonny Sharrock - Live in Frankfurt 1992 full concert

Recorded at Deutsches Jazz Festival Frankfurt, Germany, 1st of November 1992. Awesome free jazz.

Features Pharoah Sanders - saxes, Sonny Sharrock - guitar, Charnett Moffett - bass, and Pheroaan AkLaff - drums.

1 - Little Rock
    2 - Japan
    3 - Upper And Lower Egypt
    4 - Many Mansions
    5 - Venus
    6 - Mr P.C.

This is (presumably) the tour that supported Sharrock's towering Ask the Ages album. Pheroaan AkLaff is great, but if only they'd managed to get Elvin Jones to do the tour as well as the album. His drive would have taken this all up another level still.
  • For those of you into Swiss Pianist Nik Baerstch and his various ensembles (loads on YouTube), the good news is that he has a new album just out with Ronin on ECM.

Nik Bärtsch’s Ronin Awase

Nik Bärtsch: piano
    Sha: bass clarinet, alto saxophone
    Thomy Jordi: bass
    Kaspar Rast: drums

+++++ CD / LP / Download / Streaming: https://ecm.lnk.to/7_jRJFP

“Awase”, a term from martial arts, means “moving together” in the sense of matching energies, a fitting metaphor for the dynamic precision, tessellated grooves and balletic minimalism of Nik Bärtsch’s Ronin. Six years have passed since the last release from the Swiss group. In the interim, trimmed from quintet to quartet size and with new bassist Thomy Jordi fully integrated, Ronin has become a subtly different band. Bärtsch speaks of a new-found freedom and flexibility in the approach to the material, with “greater transparency, more interaction, more joy in every performance”. The freedom here extends to revisiting early Bärtsch modules alongside new compositions including, for the first time on a Ronin record, a piece by reedman Sha.

Awase was recorded at Studios La Buissonne in the south of France in October 2017 and produced by Manfred Eicher. ECM 2603

• Addams Family dancing Blitzkrieg Bop by The Ramones

Hey ho, let's go!
  • Public Image Ltd - Album

With Ginger Baker on drums and Bill Laswell's usual suspects on everything else. 

And here's the 12" of Rise, discovered when I was looking for the album on YT:

• Egberto Gismonti - Kuarup

Nothing from this is on YT, so you'll have to try to imagine the mixture of modern classical and Brazilian folk music Gismonti conjures up here.
  • John Coltrane - Kulu Se Mama

For many, Coltrane's last two years of life were when he went off the rails. Having scaled the heights of A Love Supreme, his music exploded into fiery free jazz. It took me until my late 20s to start hearing the majesty of these late albums.

Yet Kulu Se Mama (particularly its near 19-minute title track) is pretty accessible - particularly to anyone who has loved Alice Coltrane's music, and some of Pharoah Sanders' albums - with a clear 'ethnic' flavour.

Kulu Se Mama shouldn't be a relatively obscure part of the John Coltrane canon. 
  • Food - Last Supper

Another slab of fantastic Norwegian electronica meets jazz. One of the albums that got me into this stuff.
  • I haven't listened to PIL in  years!

Sent me on a PIL, Killing Joke, Flock Of Seagulls etc etc memory lane...should have been working :D
  • It's good for you, Chris. I'm a closet PIL fan and have a good proportion of their albums (didn't like the last one).
  • Kurt Elling - A Happy Thought (from his latest album, The Questions)

The first song of 2018 to go on serious repeat here.
  • edited May 2018
    I've been having a bit of a Miles Davis '70s thing this week. If I was disciplined, I'd have played them in order of recording - a lot of them are live dates - but I played them randomly.

Much of Miles' best music was created during this period, IMHO, even if it doesn't have the dinner party digestibility of Kind of Blue. I'm often left wondering how this music was created all that time ago. 

So, what to feature from YT? It has to be this:

Recorded live at Osaka Festival Hall, Japan, February 1, 1975
    Tracklist:
    A Prelude (Part I)
    B Prelude (Part II) / Maiysha
    C Interlude
    D Theme From Jack Johnson

Miles Davis (tp, og) Sonny Fortune (ss, as, fl) Pete Cosey (g, syn) Reggie Lucas (g) Michael Henderson (b) Al Foster (dr) Mtume (perc, electronics)

Miles is not at his best. This and Pangaea - both double albums - recorded the same day in Osaka, were the last we were to hear from Miles until the early 80s, after his dark night of the soul (possibly better summarised as his dark night of the nose  ;) ). But the music is a scalding, boiling cauldron of funk, groove, blues, bop. Blackness. Not in any negative sense, but as Rahsaan Roland Kirk might have called it, Blacknuss.

I do go on sometimes, don't I? 
  • While I think Agharta is the pinnacle of Miles' electric period, others root for this:

Close, but no cigar. Not least because this is a mish-mash of lineups that never gets right into the depths of it like the later band.

Bass – Dave Holland (tracks: A2, A3), Michael Henderson (tracks: A1, B1, C2, D), Ron Carter (tracks: B2, C1)
    Drums – Billy Cobham (tracks: A3), Jack DeJohnette
    Electric Piano, Whistling – Hermeto Pascoal (tracks: A2)
    Guitar – John McLaughlin (tracks: A1 to B1, C2, D)
    Keyboards – Chick Corea (tracks: A2, A3, B2, C1), Herbie Hancock (tracks: A2, B2, C1), Joe Zawinul (tracks: A3), Keith Jarrett (tracks: A2, B2, C1)
    Percussion – Airto Moreira
    Piano – Keith Jarrett (tracks: A1, B1, C2, D)
    Saxophone – Gary Bartz (tracks: A1, B1, C2, D), Steve Grossman (tracks: A2, B2, C1), Wayne Shorter (tracks: A3)
    Sitar – Khalil Balakrishna (tracks: A3)
    Trumpet – Miles Davis
    Vocals – Hermeto Pascoal (tracks: B2, C1)

Cover – John Berg
    Engineer – Russ Payne, Stan Tonkel
    Producer – Teo Macero

A1 Sivad 0:00
    A2 Little Church 15:15
    Medley: 18:33 A3a Gemini A3b Double Image
    B1 What I Say 24:30
    B2 Nem Um Talvez 45:42
    C1 Selim 49:46
    C2 Funky Tonk 52:01
    D Inamorata And Narration By Conrad Roberts 1:15:30

• ^^^^^^^^^
    In a similar vein today....

• I don't know, I give you chaps some difficult stuff, and what do I get back???  :)

Seriously, I don't really know either, so I have my morning listening cued up.
  • Docfoster said:

Me likey!
  • edited June 2018
    I went down this road....

Off out on the mean machine in a mo. (125 scooter! :#  )

• cj66 said:
    ^^^^^^^^^

It's alright. Never that keen on the Inspirals, though.
  • cj66 said:

I like some of this a lot, but not all of it, which is why I didn't buy it at the time
    cj66 said:

But this, I do own. Nice to be reminded I haven't played it in yonks.
    cj66 said:

I don't think I know this, although I've heard of Grant Lee Buffalo. I'll have to listen to some more.
    cj66 said:

• edited June 2018
    Just settling in for the weekend with this:

The Complete On the Corner Sessions is a posthumous box set by American jazz musician Miles Davis, released on October 2, 2007, by Columbia Records.

The Complete On the Corner Sessions compiles material from 1972 through 1975 which, due to lineup changes Davis made throughout the era, features over two dozen musicians. The box set includes more than six hours of music. Twelve of these are previously unissued tracks. Another five tracks are previously unissued in full.

Tracklist:
    00:00 On The Corner (Unedited Master)
    19:26 On The Corner (Take 4)
    24:44 One And One (Unedited Master)
    42:42 Helen Butte / Mr. Freedom X (Unedited Master)
    1:06:04 Jabali
    1:17:09 Ife
    1:38:44 Chieftain
    1:53:24 Rated X
    2:00:16 Turnaround
    2:17:34 U-turnaround
    2:26:02 Billy Preston
    2:38:37 The Hen
    2:51:14 Big Fun / Holly-wuud (Take 2)
    2:57:48 Big Fun / Holly-wuud (Take 3)
    3:04:57 Peace
    3:12:01 Mr Foster
    3:27:17 Calypso Frelimo
    3:59:24 He Loved Him Madly
    4:31:39 Maiysha
    4:46:32 Mtume
    5:01:42 Mtume (Take 11)
    5:08:35 Hip-Skip
    5:27:36 What They Do
    5:39:22 Minnie
    5:43:17 Red China Blues
    5:47:25 On The Corner / New York Girl / Thinkin' Of One Thing And Doin' Another / Vote For Miles
    6:07:25 Black Satin
    6:12:45 One And One
    6:18:55 Helen Butte / Mr. Freedom X (Master)
    6:42:14 Big Fun
    6:44:47 Holly-wuud

I'll be listening to my own copy, though  ;)

If you can't stand the thought of nearly 7 hours of box set, there's always the original album, my second choice after Agharta from this period. 

Personnel:
    Miles Davis – electric trumpet with wah-wah
    Carlos Garnett – soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone
    Dave Liebman – soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone
    Bennie Maupin – bass clarinet
    Chick Corea – Fender Rhodes, keyboards
    Herbie Hancock – Fender Rhodes, keyboards
    Harold Ivory Williams – keyboards
    Cedric Lawson – organ
    Dave Creamer – guitar
    Reggie Lucas – guitar
    John McLaughlin – guitar
    Khalil Balakrishna – electric sitar
    Collin Walcott – electric sitar
    Michael Henderson – bass guitar
    Don Alias – drums, percussion
    Jack DeJohnette – drums
    Al Foster – drums
    Billy Hart – drums
    James Mtume – percussion
    Badal Roy – tabla

Recorded: June 1, 6 and July 7, 1972 Studio: Columbia Studio E, New York City

Cover Paintings – Corky McCoy
    Producer – Teo Macero

A1a On The Corner 0:00
    A1b New York Girl 2:58
    A1c Thinkin' One Thing And Doin' Another 4:28
    A1d Vote For Miles 11:12
    A2 Black Satin 19:59
    B1 One And One 25:19
    B2a Helen Butte 31:28
    B2b Mr. Freedom X 47:33
  • uglymusic said:
    cj66 said:
    ^^^^^^^^^

It's alright. Never that keen on the Inspirals, though.
    They fell away a bit after their first album (“Life”). Always put on a good show live though.

• cj66 said:

...And that was the last we heard from CJ...  :o :'(
  • uglymusic said:

The Complete On the Corner Sessions is a posthumous box set by American jazz musician Miles Davis, released on October 2, 2007, by Columbia Records.

The Complete On the Corner Sessions compiles material from 1972 through 1975 which, due to lineup changes Davis made throughout the era, features over two dozen musicians. The box set includes more than six hours of music. Twelve of these are previously unissued tracks. Another five tracks are previously unissued in full.

Tracklist:
    5:47:25 On The Corner / New York Girl / Thinkin' Of One Thing And Doin' Another / Vote For Miles

If you can't stand the thought of nearly 7 hours of box set, there's always the original album, my second choice after Agharta from this period. 

Personnel:
    Cedric Lawson – organ
    Dave Creamer – guitar
    Reggie Lucas – guitar
    John McLaughlin – guitar
    Jack DeJohnette – drums
    Al Foster – drums
    Billy Hart – drums
    James Mtume – percussion
    Badal Roy – tabla

Producer – Teo Macero

Has a friend who listened to this (original album) a lot.
    it’s one of the albums that tell me that there are limits to my own liking of jazz and Miles Davis music. But then, Kind of Blue is one of my favourite albums.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Tracklist:

Personnel:
    Cedric Lawson – organ
    Dave Creamer – guitar
    Reggie Lucas – guitar
    John McLaughlin – guitar
    Jack DeJohnette – drums
    Al Foster – drums
    Billy Hart – drums
    James Mtume – percussion
    Badal Roy – tabla

Producer – Teo Macero

Has a friend who listened to this (original album) a lot.
    it’s one of the albums that tell me that there are limits to my own liking of jazz and Miles Davis music. But then, Kind of Blue is one of my favourite albums.
    Heck. I'm not really sure On The Corner is jazz! I remember when I first borrowed a copy from Birmingham Record Library. I couldn't listen to it. I couldn't figure out what was going on. It sounded so ugly.

I returned to it again many years later when I bought a secondhand CD very cheaply and gradually got into it.

It was Michael Henderson's looping, loping, funky bass guitar that was the hook for everything else for me.
  • All the radio's fault!

An older song by INXS popped forth and lead to me digging out the Listen Like Thieves and Kick albums.

Saw them on both the supporting tours in the UK.

A rather unheard of Sinaed O'Conner was in support at the Guildford Civic Hall, which was the first time I heard her Mandinka song, impressive and very different for pop back then. I'm sure a critic described her vocals as being like a Siouxie on steroids! Both INXS concerts were very good, great pop band live. My girlfriend of the time thought Hutchence was "gorgeous", as most the other girls did too, if memory serves.
  • cj66 said:

Good call that man!
    I too rate ‘Listen Like Thieves’ and ‘Kick’. Loads of quality tunes on those.
    And yes, hard not to have at least a small man-crush on Mr Hutchence. ;-)
  • Docfoster said:
    cj66 said:

Good call that man!
    I too rate ‘Listen Like Thieves’ and ‘Kick’. Loads of quality tunes on those.
    And yes, hard not to have at least a small man-crush on Mr Hutchence. ;-)
    I remember liking Kick, way back, but never owned a copy.

Paula Yates, anyone? :-D
  • edited June 2018
    A bit of choice dub for a beautiful day:

"Dub is a genre of music which grew out of reggae music in the 1960s, and is commonly considered a subgenre, though it has developed to extend beyond the scope of reggae. Music in this genre consists predominantly of instrumental remixes of existing recordings and is achieved by significantly manipulating and reshaping the recordings, usually by removing the vocals from an existing music piece, emphasizing the drum and bass parts (this stripped down track is sometimes referred to as a 'riddim'). Other techniques include dynamically adding extensive echo, reverb, panoramic delay, and occasional dubbing of vocal or instrumental snippets from the original version or other works.

19 wicked dub tracks from Scientist. Scientist at his best! Support him on: http://www.dubmusic.com/"

01 Dangerous Match One 00:00
    02 flabba is wild 03:34
    03 Rocking Time Warp Dub 07:10
    04 Jah Love All Aliens 11:19
    05 beaming 14:14
    05 fighting radics 17:49
    06 Dangerous Match Six 21:30
    07 jah is love 25:12
    08 time passage 28:53
    09 S.O.S 31:45
    10.Original Stylee 35:10
    11 Dangerous Match Nine 39:29
    12 forward dis ya dub
    13 Jerusalem Dub
    14 African Daughter Dub
    15 Forgive Them Oh Jah
    16 Beam Down
    17 Cloning Process
    18 Creation Mix
    19 Iran Revolution
  • And there's more!

Set of 18 wicked dub tracks from Scientist.

01 Earth
    02 Dedication to Flabba Holt II
    03 Contact
    04 Denial
    05 Italian Dub
    06 Lab Explosion
    07 See A Dub Face
    08 Galaxy
    09 Juggernaut Dub
    10 Dedication to Steelie
    11 Sunshine Version
    12 Dedication to Barnabas
    13 A Grand Masters Dub
    14 Golden Goal
    15 Fission
    16 Dedicated to You and You
    17 Blood On His Lips
    18 The Voodoo Curse
  • edited June 2018
    And there's part III :smile:

Check YT for the tracks, which are not in a very useful listing.

Is that a pic of your back room, Ben?
  • uglymusic said:

I would never own that number of speakers with tiny “woofers”.

I mean to catch up on your dub listings Dave! Thanks. Want to get in front of the system first...!
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

I would never own that number of speakers with tiny “woofers”.

I mean to catch up on your dub listings Dave! Thanks. Want to get in front of the system first...!

Yeah, I can see that. 

I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of them. 
  • Oh, and there's this:

A mix of sub 130 BPM dub music sequenced in Cubase. More to follow.

01 Scientist - Round Five
    02 Barrington Levy/Scientist - Reggae Music Dub
    03 Roots Radics/King Tubby - King Tubby's Rockers
    04 Augustus Pablo/King Tubby - Braces Tower Dub
    05 Al Campbell/Scientist - Rock a Dub
    06 Scientist - Pulsar 07 Prince Far I - Destruction Sound Battle
    08 King Tubby - Dub With a View
    09 Roots Radics/Scientist - M16
    10 Scientist - The Mummy's Shroud
    11 Tapper Zukie/Philip Smart - Tapper Zukie in Dub
    12 Soul Syndicate/King Tubby - Dub the Right Way
    13 Scientist - Fission
    14 Prince Far I - Bendel Dub
    15 Lee Perry - Dem No Know Dub
    16 Twin Roots/Lee Perry - Know Love
    17 Al Campbell/Scientist - Bell the Cat Dub
    18 Augustus Pablo/King Tubby - Corner Crew Dub
    19 King Tubby & Prince Jammy - Lion Heart
    20 Scientist - Feedback Part Two
    21 Augustus Pablo/King Tubby - 555 Dub Street
    22 King Tubby - Dub Fi Gwan

Keep up, Ben!  :D
  • edited June 2018
    Gone proggy today, this has been an enduring favourite since first listen. The Steven Wilson remix in the link is something I've intended to procure but not done so yet, been told and read great things of his mixing abilities.

With an intro track verging on disharmony but doesn't actually lose it, maybe Dave will approve!

• I do like the first track, but I generally say No to Yes (I'll get me coat).
  • @cj66 Chris, you got me thinking about 'an enduring favourite since first listen'.

Here's one of mine:

I never tire of it.
  • edited June 2018
    Ahhh, they produced so much wonderous quirkery over the years, ya gotta love at least some of their output.

Here's another prog album that zapped me from day one, the SQ is really poor on YT so I'll just link the track that did the first gotcha!

I've always loved the sound of a harpsichord (even keyboard mimicked ) over a piano and you have a rare occurrence of both together....briefly.

• cj66 said:
    Ahhh, they produced so much wonderous quirkery over the years, ya gotta love at least some of their output.

Here's another prog album that zapped me from day one, the SQ is really poor on YT so I'll just link the track that did the first gotcha!

I've always loved the sound of a harpsichord (even keyboard mimicked ) over a piano and you have a rare occurrence of both together....briefly.

My guess was The Six Wives of Henry VIII. Wasn't too far off.

One of my school friends was (is still) a fan of Mr W and got me to go along to my first gig - King Arthur On Ice! You does stoopid things in yer yoof!
  • Bitches Brew:

One of Miles' most well-known albums, yet one of his most difficult. Never really understood that.
  • edited June 2018
    After Talking Heads yesterday (presumably) YT came up with this recommendation:

TBH, I think there's a better double or single album here, and I don't think any more of it than when it came out. And so I've never owned a copy.
  • YT is still recommending stuff from the 70s and 80s to me. A couple of Indian-related things:

Shaki, John McLaughlin's band with Indian musicians that he formed after the Mahavishnu Orchestra. 

And a Don Cherry album from earlier in the decade.

Get your sandals on and break out the joss sticks. They're both fantastic!
  • If this doesn't put a huge, cheesy grin on your face, nothing will...