2nd Systems

2»

Comments

• Home office systems need to be pretty good. I play mine all day at least five days a week.If it didn't sound good, I'd not be able to do that.
  • uglymusic said:
    Home office systems need to be pretty good. I play mine all day at least five days a week.If it didn't sound good, I'd not be able to do that.
    Completely agree, my office system always got played more than the big rig.
  • edited November 2018
    Had a bit of shift around.
    The brutalised Magisters have come out of the shed and into the second system (the modded Goodwoods are having a rest)…

The bass (n the 3m x 3m conservatory) is now ludicrous and wholly unnecessary.
    (Turntable placement may need some work.)

The little unit that's now supporting the Claymore has replaced the larger unit which has migrated into the main system....

(Eagle-eyed viewers may notice that other things are changing a bit in the main system...More to follow soon....!)
  • Docfoster said:
    Had a bit of shift around.
    The brutalised Magisters have come out of the shed and into the second system (the modded Goodwoods are having a rest)…

The bass (n the 3m x 3m conservatory) is now ludicrous and wholly unnecessary.
    (Turntable placement may need some work.)

The little unit that's now supporting the Claymore has replaced the larger unit which has migrated into the main system....

(Eagle-eyed viewers may notice that other things are changing a bit in the main system...More to follow soon....!)

You've swapped the NVA front end for a laptop and a DAC of some sort?
  • That’s where I’m going, yes. :-)
    DAC still in the post tho.,,
    Will update when it’s arrived and sorted.
  • What caused that?

Did the NVA peg out on you?
  • It did. Not sure what the problem is. I did the best I could to sort it, and although it seemed to prolong the TFS for a couple of months, it continued to “peg-out”.
    Tbh it was pretty old (so the motherboard is now very limited in terms of hardware specs) and needed replacing.
  • So you'll be continuing to run JRiver but on the lappy?

What's the DAC? 
  • Asus Xonar Essence One (Muses Edition).
    https://www.asus.com/Essence-Hi-Fi-Audio/Xonar_Essence_One_MUSES_Edition/

I've had my eye on one for years for when the TFS died. I know I like the Asus Xonar sound as it is a soundcard from the Xonar range that's in the TFS. So hopefully this stand-alone will do the job. The "Muses Edition" of the Essence One is meant to have some nifty Muses op amps in. We'll see how they do...
    There is a mk2 Essence One these days, but I didn't want to spend that much. I found a retailer in Germany that still has some mk1 models in stock so I ordered one. Should be here on Wednesday.
  • Interesting. I wonder how similar it will sound to the TFS?
  • uglymusic said:
    Interesting. I wonder how similar it will sound to the TFS?
    I’m interested in that too.
    (I’m hoping to cannibalise the TFS and try to turn the sound card into a DAC (just as s DIY project). But need to work out how best to power and connect to it...)
    DHL tried to deliver the Essence One today. But I wasn’t here, and I hadn’t bothered to arrange the “please leave with neighbour” option. Should be here this time tomorrow. Hopefully have it up and running by tomorrow night.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Interesting. I wonder how similar it will sound to the TFS?
    I’m interested in that too.
    (I’m hoping to cannibalise the TFS and try to turn the sound card into a DAC (just as s DIY project). But need to work out how best to power and connect to it...)
    DHL tried to deliver the Essence One today. But I wasn’t here, and I hadn’t bothered to arrange the “please leave with neighbour” option. Should be here this time tomorrow. Hopefully have it up and running by tomorrow night.

Can't you use the PSU from the TFS? Or is that where the problem lies?

Deliveries drive me mad! (Manages not to flip into rant mode!).
  • Yes. The soundcard can run off the existing TFS psu.
    I was imprecise / lazy with my wording.
    The TFS soundcard connects data via PCIe. Which isn’t very helpful for what i want it to be - an external peripheral sound device. I’ve bought a small circuit that converts PCIe to USB 3. That converter needs power and it’s that i’m thinking about. I may be able to tap it off the PSU...
    Probably a project for next summer!
    (Just had a text from DHL saying it’s been delivered. So that’s my evening sorted! :-) )