Asus Xonar Essence One Muses Edition + Dell Latitude 7270

edited December 2018 in Digital
Has arrived. In nice new shiny box. Ooooo....

Unpacked and hooked-up to new notebook .
I don't know much about computers, but decided that I wanted something with 8gb ram, i5 or higher processor, and 256SSD, I came across a new Dell Latitude 7270 for £282 that met those specs.
The Essence One seemed to install itself as soon as USB cable was connected.
JRiver installed on the DELL.

Initial impression is that it sounds significantly different to the Xonar Essence STX soundcard in the old TFS. Will post proper thoughts after spending a decent amount of time with it.

In the meantime, I will be needing to frame the certificate that came with the Essence One , and place the golden-bound test report in pride of place of the mantle piece (never got anything like this from Mr. Wonfor....)

Comments

• It doesn't surprise me the two front ends sound different. 

The hardware, OS (the Dell is running Win 10, I presume) and power supplies are different. And I suspect there are a whole lot more things going on in the Dell than the NVA's computer bits.

But which sounds better?
  • edited December 2018
    uglymusic said:
    It doesn't surprise me the two front ends sound different. 

The hardware, OS (the Dell is running Win 10, I presume) and power supplies are different. And I suspect there are a whole lot more things going on in the Dell than the NVA's computer bits.

But which sounds better?
    The new setup is definitely preferable, Dave.
    I've had 48 hours with it now. And a lot of that has been spent listening.
    I think pretty much everything is better. Simply a sonic step or two ahead of the TFS.
    Most significant improvements are to sound-staging and to the overall smoothness.
    The bass (or at least some parts of it) of the new Dell/Muses team seemed slightly less prominent, but that could be that it's a bit better controlled (less boomy)? I've tweaked the speaker placement a bit and I'd like to think it sounds like the best of both worlds now.
    Very happy with the results. Really enjoying the 

And, yes Dave. I agree. I shouldn't have been surprised that the difference was so significant. Every piece of hardware changed! (Though the Windows 10 and JRiver  software is actually the same.)

I've even spent a few quids on a 5m active USB extension cable so I can use the Dell from my listening position, and still keep it connected to the DAC.

Will stick on a film on the projector tonight and see how that sounds.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    It doesn't surprise me the two front ends sound different. 

But which sounds better?
    The new setup is definitely preferable, Dave.
    I've had 48 hours with it now. And a lot of that has been spent listening.
    I think pretty much everything is better. Simply a sonic step or two ahead of the TFS.
    Most significant improvements are to sound-staging and to the overall smoothness.
    The bass (or at least some parts of it) of the new Dell/Muses team seemed slightly less prominent, but that could be that it's a bit better controlled (less boomy)? I've tweaked the speaker placement a bit and I'd like to think it sounds like the best of both worlds now.
    Very happy with the results. Really enjoying the 

And, yes Dave. I agree. I shouldn't have been surprised that the difference was so significant. Every piece of hardware changed! (Though the Windows 10 and JRiver  software is actually the same.)

I've even spent a few quids on a 5m active USB extension cable so I can use the Dell from my listening position, and still keep it connected to the DAC.

Will stick on a film on the projector tonight and see how that sounds.
    That's great news! Sounds like it was a good move.

I hadn't realised you were running Win 10 on the TFS. Had assumed it was 8.
  • I heard very good reports on the original Essence One when it first came out, enjoy that.

"8gb ram, i5 or higher processor, and 256SSD, I came across a new Dell Latitude 7270 for £282 "

That's a pretty good deal, I'll be after a new lappy in the new year, prey tell your source kind sir.
    My poor 10year+ Inspiron has done very well, just the odd upgrade and a couple of small repairs over the years but it's time is nigh, with the screen looking on its last legs....snif, snif, it's been a good friend....

• edited December 2018
    Your grief will be a journey of healing...

Yeah. Very happy with £282 new. Some eBay seller. I didn’t ask questions. It came with box, which was reassuring.

Thanks for the well wishes on the Essence One. So far so good.