The Third Programme, er, System

Ben has been ruminating over the nature of Second Systems.

Never one to be outdone, over Christmas, I acquired a Third System.

Think of it as a kitchen radio, with a few more tricks up its sleeve.

Comments

• The systems-war escalates!

Nice Chridtmas addition, Dave. :-)
    ”Tricks”...? It does the coffee?

The amount of sound that the likes of Sonos can get out of those relatively small devices amazes me. I’ve heard a couple of different models at the homes of friends, and have been genuinely surprised.
  • The coffee machine does coffee, doncha know?

Mr Sonos streams Tidal and Spotify, Internet radio and all the music on my NAS drive (via a Sonos app on the Mac, that one). And some other stuff that I haven't explored yet.

TBH this one sounds ten times better than I've ever heard Sonos in a shop. I've set it up as per the destructions and it has got better as it's run in, too.

I bought a new Mac and got a voucher which paid for the Sonos. Great value, I'd say!
  • Always been curious of the Sonos stuff. See it in loads of businesses and it certainly works well in that environment.

Never investigated though, still getting by with Chromecast Audio into an old Teac 300.
    My HiFi and music needs have simplified drastically after emigrating, again, a couple of years ago. HiFi wise only the aforementioned Teac set up on small Mission speakers, my phone and a Fuze+. All Da main gear is still in boxes.
    Hobby room system in boxes.
    Work system in boxes.
    I guess I'm using system 4?

• uglymusic said:
    The coffee machine does coffee, doncha know?

Mr Sonos streams Tidal and Spotify, Internet radio and all the music on my NAS drive (via a Sonos app on the Mac, that one). And some other stuff that I haven't explored yet.

TBH this one sounds ten times better than I've ever heard Sonos in a shop. I've set it up as per the destructions and it has got better as it's run in, too.

I bought a new Mac and got a voucher which paid for the Sonos. Great value, I'd say!
    Sounds like you're pleased with the sound and the features. Not to mention the price. It's the new "Sonos Gratis" model...
  • cj66 said:
    Always been curious of the Sonos stuff. See it in loads of businesses and it certainly works well in that environment.

Never investigated though, still getting by with Chromecast Audio into an old Teac 300.
    My HiFi and music needs have simplified drastically after emigrating, again, a couple of years ago. HiFi wise only the aforementioned Teac set up on small Mission speakers, my phone and a Fuze+. All Da main gear is still in boxes.
    Work system in boxes.

When I read that a part of me felt envious.
    Increasingly over the past few years I've found myself simplifying the systems. So far I haven't needed to compromise SQ (I'd like to think the opposite). But I do wonder if the day will come when I'll be willing to trade a bit of SQ for something simpler and smaller.
    That day's certainly not imminent, but I do wonder.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    The coffee machine does coffee, doncha know?

Sounds like you're pleased with the sound and the features. Not to mention the price. It's the new "Sonos Gratis" model...
    That's the one!

I probably wouldn't have considered it if I was out shopping for a Third System.
  • Docfoster said:
    cj66 said:
    Always been curious of the Sonos stuff. See it in loads of businesses and it certainly works well in that environment.

Work system in boxes.

When I read that a part of me felt envious.
    Increasingly over the past few years I've found myself simplifying the systems. So far I haven't needed to compromise SQ (I'd like to think the opposite). But I do wonder if the day will come when I'll be willing to trade a bit of SQ for something simpler and smaller.
    That day's certainly not imminent, but I do wonder.
    Simplification has been part of my journey, too. But not in such a pure fashion.

The decision to centralise all my media (music and video) on the NAS drive was the major one for me. Now, everything is digital and streamed, whether to purist hi-fi, Sonos, 4K TV or iPad. I have one set of files and the technology does the rest. Internet streams are handled in much the same way, of course.
  • Just as I have been enjoying my Sonos, a friend of mine has been singing the praises of Google Home as his music source.

Makes you wonder if Sonos has much of a market when the likes of Google and Amazon are throwing in music with their voice-control shenanigans.