Listening to ...

Comments

• uglymusic said:
    cj66 said:
    It's a classic rock night!
    Black Sabbath currently....
    Hmm.

On a different - but related - tack, does the term Classic Rock aggravate you as much as it does me? It just stinks of record company marketing departments.
    For me it most immediately conjures up the K-Tel series of well known contemporary music set to orchestra,  played by the LSO.

Some were more successful arrangements than others...

• cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    cj66 said:
    It's a classic rock night!
    Black Sabbath currently....
    Hmm.

On a different - but related - tack, does the term Classic Rock aggravate you as much as it does me? It just stinks of record company marketing departments.
    For me it most immediately conjures up the K-Tel series of well known contemporary music set to orchestra,  played by the LSO.

Some were more successful arrangements than others...

I'd forgotten those.
  • edited November 2018
    Rather meandering and needless introduction to this version, but once it gets going... :-)
    Galliano 'Storm Clouds Gather'.

• Docfoster said:
    Rather meandering and needless introduction to this version, but once it gets going... :-)
    Galliano 'Storm Clouds Gather'.

Yeah man!
  • Starting the day with the Mahavishnu Orchestra, for no other reason than the goblins at YouTube found it for me and suggested I give it a spin!

It is good!
  • edited December 2018
    Pigmeat Markham "Here Comes the Judge"

Recently watched the Netflix "Hip-Hop Evolution" documentary series. Really good. In it, a few of the early hip-hop pioneers from the late 70s and early 80s referenced "Pigmeat Markham" as an influence from the 1950s and 60s. Having listened to the above, I can see why.
  • uglymusic said:
    Starting the day with the Mahavishnu Orchestra, for no other reason than the goblins at YouTube found it for me and suggested I give it a spin!

It is good!
    I'd say the algorithms used by them there goblins have got your tastes pretty well sussed... :-)
  • WTH's Clemon Smith??? I feel a little Googling going on!
  • OK. I've seen your Clemon Smith - not a lot to found, TBH, so I'll raise you a Baby Huey:

Possibly the least cheerful album cover the world (unless you know differently, and can start a new thread :-) ).
  • Back on the heavy stuff again!
    I was recommended Prognosis on another forum, a little bit growely in places but also a little proggy. The best new metal I've heard in a long time.

• Recently relocated my second system and Into Forever sounding particularly fine. Seem to remember being promised some more recommendations inspired by that Dave.....
  • edited February 2019
    You were??

I'll have to get the old noddle into gear.

Did I promise you the original Alice Coltrane axis stuff or the Into Forever-era Manchester axis stuff? 
  • Into Forever era Mancs axis stuff please :)
  • Louis Sclavis, Craig Taborn & Tom Rainey - Eldorado Trio

I bought this ages ago, and tbh, it didn't really cut the mustard. But tonight, I must have been in the mood. It's pretty raucous and perhaps a little lacking melodically, but what great playing and fantastic interaction! It at last sounds as good as it should have been on paper.

• This morning it's this:

Frank Kimbrough's 6-CD live set of all of Monk's compositions is fantastic! Not far from the originals, but played with real passion. I may have to treat myself to it.

And guess what we called our puppy?
  • Somewhere where metal and jazz collide:

Something recommended to me on YT. I know nothing about them.
  • And, the Robert Glasper Trio in Paris (not the Village Vanguard, NYC as billed)

Pretty damned good. As I think I've said before, Glasper is kind of today's Herbie Hancock, bridging jazz and more popular forms.
  • So, after that great Robert Glasper Trio gig - I'll listen to it again - YT suggested Bill Evans. From a 21st Century piano master to a 20th Century one. 

TBH, I more respect Evans than enjoy him - my wife calls it cocktail jazz, and I know what she means - but he's the man for so many jazz fans.

Give me Monk from a bit earlier or Jarrett from a little later. 
  • Still riding the wave of YT recommendations, we have a burning Curtis Mayfield set. 

Give it a go, friends!
  • For those of you who haven't been listening to Mark Hollis (the album) this week, here's Track 1:

I'm in tears.
  • Trudat, Dave.
  • edited May 2019

"..although this song cycle of contemporary frontier ballads, Appalachian reels and work songs is loosely inspired by Dvorak's New World Symphony, it's musical signpost point to The Band's early work. A highly imaginative, and frequently moving, album."
    -- Entertainment Weekly 5/29/98, p.77

Largo is a 1998 various-artists concept album inspired by classical composer Dvorak's 9th symphony. The project was initiated, assembled, and produced by Rick Chertoff, Rob Hyman and Eric Bazilian, respectively producer and singer/multi-instrumentalists with the heavily The Band-influenced group The Hooters. Largo started as the recording sessions for a new Hooters album, but evolved into a collaboration between The Hooters and great guest artists like Taj Mahal, Levon Helm, Garth Hudson, Joan Osborne, The Chieftains, Carole King, Cyndi Lauper, David Forman, and Willie Nile.

The Band's Levon Helm and Garth Hudson both appear on the album, on separate tracks. Levon does a duet with David Forman on "Gimme a Stone", while Garth plays an atmospherically dreamy piece titled "Garth's Largo," together with his wife Maud. Garth's keyboard work here is reminiscent of his interpretation of "Feed the Birds" from the Disney album Stay Awake.

Tracks
    Chieftains' Largo 
    Chieftains
    Freedom Ride 
    Taj Mahal (lead vocal, harmonica, barks)
    Cyrus in the Moonlight 
    Rob Hyman (lead vocal, piano, synthesizer)
    Gimme a Stone [RealAudio] 
    David Forman & Levon Helm (lead vocals)
    Hand in Mine 
    Rob Hyman (lead vocal, electric piano, organ, accordian), Joan Osborne (lead vocal)
    Vishnu Largo 
    Rob Hyman (Hammond Chord Organ)
    Disorient Express 
    David Forman (lead & harmony vocal, acoustic guitar), Rob Hyman (lead & harmony vocal, organ, electric piano)
    White Man's Melody 
    Cyndi Lauper (lead vocal)
    Needed Time 
    Taj Mahal (lead vocal, dobro)
    Banjoman 
    Taj Mahal & David Forman (lead vocals)
    Largo's Dream 
    David Forman (lead vocal)
    Garth Largo 
    Garth Hudson(bass, soprano, tarogato, tenor & alto sax, allen organ, synthesizers,accordion) , Maud Hudson (vocal), Steve Rust (upright bass)
    Medallion 
    Willie Nile & David Forman (lead vocals)
    An Uncommon Love 
    Joan Osborne (lead vocal), Carole King (harmony vocal), Chieftains
    Chieftains Largo (Reprise) 
    Chieftains
    Before the Mountains 
    Little Isidore (lead & background vocals)
    Sidemen
    Rick Chertoff
    Taj Mahal
    Levon Helm
    Garth Hudson
    Joan Osborne
    The Chieftains
    Carole King
    Cyndi Lauper
    Rob Hyman
    Eric Bazilian
    David Forman
    Willie Nile.
    Various Artists - Largo - 1998 - Polygram 536877

- from 'the band' website. Actually, the Cyndi Lauper track is a real stunner 
  • edited May 2019

Also this one earlier.
  • Alan said:

"..although this song cycle of contemporary frontier ballads, Appalachian reels and work songs is loosely inspired by Dvorak's New World Symphony, it's musical signpost point to The Band's early work. A highly imaginative, and frequently moving, album."

Largo is a 1998 various-artists concept album inspired by classical composer Dvorak's 9th symphony. The project was initiated, assembled, and produced by Rick Chertoff, Rob Hyman and Eric Bazilian, respectively producer and singer/multi-instrumentalists with the heavily The Band-influenced group The Hooters. Largo started as the recording sessions for a new Hooters album, but evolved into a collaboration between The Hooters and great guest artists like Taj Mahal, Levon Helm, Garth Hudson, Joan Osborne, The Chieftains, Carole King, Cyndi Lauper, David Forman, and Willie Nile.

The Band's Levon Helm and Garth Hudson both appear on the album, on separate tracks. Levon does a duet with David Forman on "Gimme a Stone", while Garth plays an atmospherically dreamy piece titled "Garth's Largo," together with his wife Maud. Garth's keyboard work here is reminiscent of his interpretation of "Feed the Birds" from the Disney album Stay Awake.

Tracks
    Chieftains' Largo 
    Chieftains
    Freedom Ride 
    Cyrus in the Moonlight 
    Hand in Mine 
    Rob Hyman (lead vocal, electric piano, organ, accordian), Joan Osborne (lead vocal)
    Vishnu Largo 
    Disorient Express 
    David Forman (lead & harmony vocal, acoustic guitar), Rob Hyman (lead & harmony vocal, organ, electric piano)
    White Man's Melody 
    Needed Time 
    Banjoman 
    Largo's Dream 
    Garth Largo 
    Garth Hudson(bass, soprano, tarogato, tenor & alto sax, allen organ, synthesizers,accordion) , Maud Hudson (vocal), Steve Rust (upright bass)
    Medallion 
    An Uncommon Love 
    Chieftains
    Before the Mountains 
    Sidemen
    Rick Chertoff
    Taj Mahal
    Levon Helm
    Garth Hudson
    Joan Osborne
    The Chieftains
    Carole King
    Cyndi Lauper
    Rob Hyman
    Eric Bazilian
    David Forman
    Willie Nile.

In prospect, I worry about this, but I'll try to remember to look it up on streaming.
  • edited May 2019
    Hal Wilner Presents Weird Nightmare. Meditations on Mingus

• Which led to this:

The album that got me into Mingus. Play Loud!
  • edited May 2019
    Speedy J "Ping Pong"
    Love the gradual layering and build up in this...

• edited May 2019
  • uglymusic said:
    Unusually topical for us lot... :-D
  • Was introduced to this lot the other day, rather belatedly:

The album is a bit of a mixed bag, TBH, but I do like this, the title track. 

• Listening to it does not signify an Uglymusic endorsement :-) 
  • Docfoster said:
    Speedy J "Ping Pong"

Got any Es mate? 
  • uglymusic said:
    Alan said:

Tracks
    Chieftains' Largo 
    Chieftains
    Freedom Ride 
    Cyrus in the Moonlight 
    Hand in Mine 
    Vishnu Largo 
    Disorient Express 
    White Man's Melody 
    Needed Time 
    Banjoman 
    Largo's Dream 
    Garth Largo 
    Medallion 
    An Uncommon Love 
    Chieftains
    Before the Mountains 
    Sidemen
    Rick Chertoff
    Taj Mahal
    Levon Helm
    Garth Hudson
    Joan Osborne
    The Chieftains
    Carole King
    Cyndi Lauper
    Rob Hyman
    Eric Bazilian
    David Forman
    Willie Nile.

In prospect, I worry about this, but I'll try to remember to look it up on streaming.
    I drew a complete blank! Not on Spotify, Tidal or YT. 

Congratulations, Alan, from a fellow lover of obscurity :-)
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    Speedy J "Ping Pong"

Got any Es mate? 
    At might age, it’s increasingly the Ps that keep me up.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    Speedy J "Ping Pong"

Got any Es mate? 
    At might age, it’s increasingly the Ps that keep me up.

I think that should be my joke, not yours!
  • edited May 2019
    My, my. That's twice in two days I've been able to listen to this:

• Brad Mehldau - Finding Gabriel

Just a taste from YT:

I'm going to be playing the wotsits off this one. It's the album he's been building up to for years. Fantastic!
  • Fire! Orchestra - Arrival

I thought this was going to be a bit of blasting, scalp-removing free jazz, but my overriding impression from listening to the whole thing is: It's a Prog album! WTH is going on?
  • edited May 2019
    Dave Douglas, Uri Caine and Andrew Cyrille - Devotion

There are other tracks on YT.

It's pretty much as I'd expected. A nice listen if you like chamber-ish free jazz.
  • uglymusic said:
    Fire! Orchestra - Arrival

I thought this was going to be a bit of blasting, scalp-removing free jazz, but my overriding impression from listening to the whole thing is: It's a Prog album! WTH is going on?
    The mention of Prog piqued my interest so I gave this a fair stab at my shell-likes.
    Instrumentally, for me, it was jazzy/poppy/wanna-be psychedelia. It almost made it but fell down on the vocals which I actually found really annoying.
    Oh well, I tried to like it.
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    Fire! Orchestra - Arrival

The mention of Prog piqued my interest so I gave this a fair stab at my shell-likes.
    Instrumentally, for me, it was jazzy/poppy/wanna-be psychedelia. It almost made it but fell down on the vocals which I actually found really annoying.
    Oh well, I tried to like it.

The vocals are pretty awful!
  • Ron Miles - Circuit Rider

Trumpeter/ Cornettist Miles plays with guitarist Bill Frisell and drummer Brian Blade for some more chamberish-jazz; Americana-flavoured, this time. I love this kind of stuff.

There's nothing specifically from the album on YT, but take your pick from this lot: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ron+miles+circuit+rider

• The Comet is Coming - Trust In The Lifeforce Of The Deep Mystery

Me likee!

None of the reviews I've read has mentioned the most obvious influence to me. Herbie Hancock's Mwandishi band. On one listening, this is great stuff.
  • nizlopi 
    half these songs are about you. 
  • Capital Letters "Jah Music (Dub)" (From their album "Wolverhampton in Dub", that Amazon Music has just suggested to me...)
  • William Adamson (aka "Earl Zinger", aka Rob Gallagher (Galliano frontman)) "Flatlands"

• Jackie Mittoo "Get up and get it"