Musical fidelity a1

My old mate Seb is looking for an Original Musical fidelity a1 if anyone had one for sale. Cheers 

Comments

• I can almost smell the griddled bacon, eggs, sausages, hmmmmmmmm.
    What? It plays music too! Crikey.
    ;)
  • edited August 2019
    I wonder why?

Far be it for me to challenge Seb's taste in amplifiers, but I remember listening to A1s quite a few times back in the day. They were part of the reason why I ran away from Class A for decades. Until Colin brought one of his round to my flat.

But that's a tangent. 
  • edited August 2019
    There’s a couple on eBay atm.
  • So there are. And not many notes, either.
  • Cheers, I said to him to try and find Claymore. 
  • He should get one of Col's many SECAs.
  • The A1 had a bad problem the OP stage was to small and the heatsink were a waste of space and pointless for the heat that came of those bloody health risk devices. DO NOT BUY

• Too right on health risk. Such a product would never make approval to market now.
    I remember cutting my hand on a sharp edge of an A1, bit of a gusher so had to go out of the dem room to stem the flow and dress the cut. Came back to nicely cooked blood on the amp! Sliced and sauteed.
    I like a selection of MF product but hated the A1 and never thought it deserved the reputation for SQ it was gifted.
  • That’s a great story. :-D
    ”No. I won’t be buying the amp. I wasn’t that impressed with the sound, and to be honest I can’t afford to lose another finger...”
  • cj66 said:
    Too right on health risk. Such a product would never make approval to market now.
    I remember cutting my hand on a sharp edge of an A1, bit of a gusher so had to go out of the dem room to stem the flow and dress the cut. Came back to nicely cooked blood on the amp! Sliced and sauteed.
    I like a selection of MF product but hated the A1 and never thought it deserved the reputation for SQ it was gifted.

What a story! MF did have their build issues from time to time ;-)

Ditto on the SQ. The A1 was the aural equivalent of blancmange.
  • Ok  I went and picked my mate up he cant drive anymore, I said listen to my Claymore and that was it he sat there and said he is totally discombobulated how an amp can play music like that. So i have managed to find my old mate an Inca tech Claymore. An iss 6 as well. He is retired an not so well off so he can pay me as and when . It's great when you can help someone out in many ways . Thank you all for your guidance. And thank you to Col for building such a great amp.  You now have another Claymore fan :) 
  • That is a happy ending!
  • Yes definitely.  He is going to be very happy when it arrives :)
  • Good work!