Musing about a new amp.

Wondering about a new amp. Currently using my upgraded claymore with a dac and Harbeth p3esrs. It’s all hunky dory but for one thing. I have just sent a Garrard 301 to Loricraft for a service, plinth and new arm. I’ll be using an mc cart when it eventually arrives. As my claymore only has an mm phono stage, I had thought to get a new amp. I picked up a cheap, new quad elite power amp and have some money down on the pre that matches it, but that’s taking ages to arrive. It may come at some point but I’ve had long enough to change my mind ten times. I’m wondering whether I should either try a q20 pre or sell the lot and by a claymore retro. The Oberon looks great but it’s underpowered for the purposes of my Harbeths. M50s would be nice but out of my price range given the my arguably insane decision to go to town on my 301. Too many moving parts to this decision-help!

Comments

• A MC add on PCB can be fitted if you twist my arm to your Claymore
  • Kind of you to offer Col, I’ve pm’d you.
  • So there we have, claymore retro now on the way, assuming of course that Col made it down safely from the workshop roof!
  • How hard did you need to “twist his arm”?
    I’m think a little bit less than very gently indeed. :-D
  • I got down OK and the new solar panel give me another 500W.

• Docfoster said:
    How hard did you need to “twist his arm”?
    Not very! 
  • AntiCrap said:
    I got down OK and the new solar panel give me another 500W.

What are you building in there...?!
  • phorize said:
    Docfoster said:
    How hard did you need to “twist his arm”?
    Not very! 
    :smiley:
  • Docfoster said:
    AntiCrap said:

Well it will be a M1000 only 1KW RMS/Ch into 8R and 4KW RMS into 2R to see if I can orbit my speakers.
  • Out of interest Colin is your workshop entirely powered by photo voltaics?
  • AntiCrap said:
    Docfoster said:
    AntiCrap said:

Well it will be a M1000 only 1KW RMS/Ch into 8R and 4KW RMS into 2R to see if I can orbit my speakers.
    Your neighbours are glad you can fire it up only during day-light hours...
  • ...and during lightning storms,  Doctor Victor Wonforstein...
  • New claymore arrived today. Weighs a bit! Had a quick listen earlier-sounding lovely-happy that it’s dropped the claymore retro moniker, The Claymore is nicer. About Col, what a gent, what else can I say? 
  • Ok. So streaming over Allo digione signature spdif into chord qutest and p3esrs. Listened to wynton Kelly ‘Kelly at midnight’, Damon Brown trio Walkin’ on, and Getz/Gilberto ‘76. 

Philly Joe Jones’ brushwork hit me like never before, Damon browns trumpet had serious air, now I know what people mean by this, Joao Gilbertos power nearly put me the through the wall. When people say live he could achieve melodic softness with powerful warmth, normally achieved only with vibrato I wasn’t sure what this could sound like. The presentation of this system is fantastic. Still not great for organ music, but musically powerful none the less. Now I can stop switching gear. Phew.

• Jah Wobble and Bill Laswell would sound even better with a sub. 
  • Jah Wobble and Bill Laswell always sounds good. As does Jah Wobble and Evan Parker. 
  • Or Bill Laswell and Ginger Baker
  • Never heard passage to hades, I’ll give it a listen. Got the Amazon hd thingy, all the blood, sweat and tears of artists for 12.99 a month. Don’t know how I sleep at night. Thom Yorke would have my guts for garters.
  • That's cheaper than Tidal