Old stuff: Inca Tech Dirk

This is fun: 

Inca Tech Dirk. 50W RMS in a very small package, about the same age as me (I am a much larger package).

Sounds properly marvelous after a couple of hours warming up and hoovering dust out of it. Bass is fast and authoritative, this is a fast amplifier with a lot of detail. Not as detailed as the newer EWA amps, which have a more filigree, effortless detail, but pretty decent, high energy stuff. Absolutely brilliant!

It's a single input integrated amplifier, but it's designed to partner with the Inca Tech FMT (tuner) which has an additional six or more auxiliary inputs, plus FM of course. Good thing I've two of them...

For the moment this makes an ace workshop system, coupled with a Chromecast audio and JPW sonata, wired with old EWA LS-20. Happy days!

Comments

• Brilliant as compact "proper" amplifier.

Are you going to perform Claymore-like upgrades to it?
  • How perfect is that...?
    Where can I get me one?
  • Very rare and at the time nobody liked small amps, and none of the sales detailed filtered to the staff in shops about it pairing up with FMT.
    It can be upgraded but why?
  • They pop up on eBay from time to time, they are pretty unusual though.

My impression is of a very clean sounding, detailed amp. Nothing about the sound says old, fuzzy, or warm and cuddly. Given it's trick power supply I guess it's capable of more peak current than a Claymore, in short bursts at least. 

• Just right to feed with a streaming digital source.
  • Ban that man, Digital Lies
  • Dave, ban Dave!
  • Yes keep Uglymusic but man Digital Dave.

• From where I am, I can see Digital Dave waving a digit at you >:)
  • uglymusic said:
    Just right to feed with a streaming digital source.

I was actually being serious (for once). Suppose you're using Roon or LMS. You have all your own content and digital streaming in once place. You only need one input.
  • uglymusic said:
    uglymusic said:

I was actually being serious (for once). Suppose you're using Roon or LMS. You have all your own content and digital streaming in once place. You only need one input.
    Trudat. I have a Google Chromecast audio hanging from it (see first post). If I want to access pretty much anything that isn't natively supported, I can use Bubbleupnp.
  • Alan said:
    uglymusic said:
    uglymusic said:

Trudat. I have a Google Chromecast audio hanging from it (see first post). If I want to access pretty much anything that isn't natively supported, I can use Bubbleupnp.

Yep. There are so many ways to skin the digital cat.
  • AntiCrap said:

It can be upgraded but why?
    I was thinking from the why not angle ;)

I was under the impression the amplifier circuits were pretty much the same as a Claymore and therefore subject to the same possible tweaks, Fets, Tank caps & rectifier and maybe the odd wee fettle here 'n' there.

Sold one when I was first in the trade. As said already we were unaware of the FMT link up and certainly didn't have stock of one. I was already a Claymore owner and was the only person there that sold them.

I gave up my then Claymore to a customer who had brought his with a problem but the service centre had managed to misplace it! The company I was working for was also in trouble by then so a dirty deal was done, my Claymore to appease the customer in exchange for some Exposure ex-demo gear!

• That is sad news, yes it can be upgraded but why? It was a tiny amp and and most were used in tiny amount in offices etc on occasion only.
  • Oh don't mind me, I'm just being pesky :#

• uglymusic said:
    Behave! :)
    That's never been a strong attribute for me ;)