Hello from Manchester UK

Found this site after I googled the EWA M-50. There's a couple on eBay and decided to dig a little deeper.. 

Current system.. 
Technics 1210 MK2
Eastern Electric Avant Pre
Musical Fidelity Dr Thomas Power Amp (the old Darth Vadar one)
Topping Dac / Roon Server
Royd Minstrels

Music;
Jazz.. mostly vocal 
Prog Rock
Folk
Soundtracks

Comments

• Hi Steve
    Welcome to Chews. Interesting MF Power Amp, you have there.
    I've not heard an EWA M-50, but they are supposed to be something special. Are you thinking of going in that direction? There are lots of us here who have one flavour or other of Colin's amps.
    They'll go great with your Royds. Colin, himself, has a pair of Minstrels now. And I have a pair of RR3s.
    Which Topping DAC do you have?
    I'm Dave, BTW.

• Hi Dave.. DAC is just the D90... It does a job... I'm yet to fall down the DAC rabbit hole.. I just seem to find other things to spend my money on :) 

This inside of my MF Amp looks like a ticking time bomb.. even though is sounds lush with all those Hitachi Mosfets.. I know it's got a limited shelf life... so I've been window shopping for something else... I think the M50 reads very interesting... unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of listening to one.. 

I've just picked up the Royds.. I'm blown away by them tbh.. I've mostly had a small bookshelf kinda setup.. LS3 etc.. so the change to Royds has been refreshing. 

So the M50's on Ebay.. there's a silver fronted one with a toggle power switch.. the other is black fronted with a red button.. Is there anything I should be looking for "revisions" etc.. ? 

Cheers Steve

uglymusic said:
    Hi Steve
    Welcome to Chews. Interesting MF Power Amp, you have there.
    I've not heard an EWA M-50, but they are supposed to be something special. Are you thinking of going in that direction? There are lots of us here who have one flavour or other of Colin's amps.
    They'll go great with your Royds. Colin, himself, has a pair of Minstrels now. And I have a pair of RR3s.
    Which Topping DAC do you have?
    I'm Dave, BTW.

• I keep looking at Chinese DACs, partly because @Alan has been saying great things about his. Not that I'm particularly unhappy with my Young, but for the fact things must have improved in the years since I bought it!
    It's also the gamble of buying unheard - and having other things to drain the bank account, of course :)
    We can ask Colin himself (@AntiCrap) what the differences are between those two amps. He pops in regularly. Or maybe @Alan might know?
  • Oh, and if Royds make sense to you, they'll probably stay with you. There's something very special about them.
  • edited August 2020
    Hi Steve,

Nice system! I'm using an SMSL M-400 now, and delighted with it. Also a huge fan of Royds. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Regarding the amplifiers, the silver front isn't quite the same as the new black ones but it's still brilliant. The new amps have much bigger bulk capacitors and bass, plus a few other upgrades. But it's still recognizably an M-50. I've got on of these early ones (in another different case) in my workshop.

I help Colin (Mr Magnum, Inca Tech, TOCA, Tellurium Q and now Mr EWA) but any technical questions are best directed his way. He's back from hols next week. You can find a bit more info at https://www.ABCaudio.biz.
  • Hi Alan, Thanks for the info, It's much appreciated.. 

Ahh.. the M400.. lovely bit of kit.. don't think they can build them quick enough with all the rave reviews :)

Alan said:
    Hi Steve,

Nice system! I'm using an SMSL M-400 now, and delighted with it. Also a huge fan of Royds. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Regarding the amplifiers, the silver front isn't quite the same as the new black ones but it's still brilliant. The new amps have much bigger bulk capacitors and bass, plus a few other upgrades. But it's still recognizably an M-50. I've got on of these early ones (in another different case) in my workshop.

I help Colin (Mr Magnum, Inca Tech, TOCA, Tellurium Q and now Mr EWA) but any technical questions are best directed his way. He's back from hols next week. You can find a bit more info at https://www.ABCaudio.biz.
  • DR_Thomas said:
    Found this site after I googled the EWA M-50. There's a couple on eBay and decided to dig a little deeper.. 

Current system.. 
    Technics 1210 MK2
    Royd Minstrels

Music;
    Jazz.. mostly vocal 
    Prog Rock
    Folk
    Soundtracks

Hi Steve.
    Loving your system.
    A Dr. Thomas! There's a blast from the past.
    Given your name, I'm guessing you're fond of it!
  • Thanks.. I think it’s the old Hitachi Mosfets that I’m fond of.. that username was taken though πŸ˜‚ 
    Docfoster said:
    DR_Thomas said:

Current system.. 
    Technics 1210 MK2
    Royd Minstrels

Music;
    Jazz.. mostly vocal 
    Prog Rock
    Folk
    Soundtracks

Hi Steve.
    Loving your system.
    A Dr. Thomas! There's a blast from the past.
    Given your name, I'm guessing you're fond of it!

• Hi Steve all nuts here leave now and run, Lovely to see a new member,

• It’s too late.. I’m already down the audiofoolery rabbit hole. I need somewhere to validate those late night drunken eBay purchases. :) 
    AntiCrap said:
    Hi Steve all nuts here leave now and run, Lovely to see a new member,