Windows sound settings

edited August 2020 in Digital
Have been spending more time watching Netflix and Amazon Prime through the system lately.
This has prompted me to revisit Windows sound settings. (Not an issue for audio as JRiver talks directly to the DAC.)
Changing the setting is definitely noticed by the Asus DAC.  Its little blue LED on the face plate changes to the correct figure as I alter the sampling frequency in Windows. 

I have found that I like 24 bit, 44.1kHz best, with 16 bit 44.1kHz a close second.

I was wondering whether pushing up the sampling frequency would help. But, I found that as I increased the sampling frequency, sounds became dissected; high frequency aspects of sounds separated from the body of the sound. E.g. sibilants in human speech floated off on their own. Very distracting.
At 44.1 kHz sounds are more homogeneous. 
I don't know why this is the case.
I don't know how the audio in internet video streams work (what is their native frequency and bitrate...? Does it even work like that?)

With the sampling frequency at 44.1, having the bitrate at 24 sounds a bit more smooth. 16 sounds a bit more mushy / hashy by comparison. But OK.

Anyway, I would appreciate any discussion on this. :-)

Comments

• Interesting, Ben.

I thought all TV and film was 16 or 24/48kHz sample rate, so I'd have stuck with that personally. 

My last DAC and the new one both display sample rates, and direct to the TV (optical connection) they always display 48kHz. 

I doubt that helps much!
  • It does Alan.
    Or at least, it might. :-)
  • edited August 2020
    That is all strange and wonderful, Ben.

I wonder why 44.1 sounds better when the sample rate is 48? Could the DAC be set up in some way for CD? I must say, I don't know how or why that would be.
  • uglymusic said:
    That is all strange and wonderful, Ben.

I wonder why 44.1 sounds better when the sample rate is 48? Could the DAC be set up in some way for CD? I must say, I don't know how or why that would be.
    Because I have weird tastes I suspect. :-D
  • edited August 2020
    I've read that Netflix manages 640kbps audio.
    Am I right in thinking that bit depth x sampling frequency = bit rate (kbps)...?
    If so, wouldn't 24/48 need to be 1152kbps...?
    And Netflix's 640kbps wouldn't even (quite) manage 16/44.1...?
  • edited August 2020
    This from Amazon regarding movie audio...
    • Recommended Bitrate for AC-3 Audio:
      • 5.1 – Bitrate: 448 Kbps, Sample Rate: 48 kHz
      • Stereo – Bitrate: 192 Kbps, Sample Rate: 48 kHz
    • Recommended Bitrate for AAC Audio:
      • 5.1 – Bitrate: 768 Kbps, Sample Rate: 48 kHz
      • Stereo – Bitrate: 320 Kbps, Sample Rate: 48 kHz
    For those 48khz sampling frequencies, at those bit rates, wouldn't the bit depth be rather lower than 24...?
  • I admit I have almost zero understanding of how this all works.