Listening to ...

Comments

• phorize said:

That's a pretty bold claim.
    Scientist is pretty reliable. Haven't heard a bad album by him.
    Possibly the one of the most reliable dub acts in the world. Not the best AFAIC. He plays it a bit safe for me.
  • uglymusic said:
    Strange. The video isn't showing here - Firefox on Linux. They are elsewhere on the page.
    Anyway, we love dub (or at least Ben and I love dub), so great post!
    Yes we do, Dave. Yes we do.
  • phorize said:
    Of course, it may not actually be the best dub album in the world, this gives it some very stiff competition:

Best dub album cover in the world...?
  • uglymusic said:
    phorize said:
    Of course, it may not actually be the best dub album in the world, this gives it some very stiff competition:

I always go for Lee Scratch Perry, and on the UK side of things, there's Dennis Bovell's work on this:

And the other volumes ;)
    I must get round to listening to the other volumes!
  • phorize said:

This was the first Scientist album I bought. Happy memories. :-:smile:
  • edited August 2020
    My contributions to the great dub debate...

Keith Hudson "Blood Brother"

Dub Syndiacte & Lee Scratch Perry "Secret Laboratory"

Disrupt "Jah Red Gold and Green"

• That's this afternoon's listening sorted out, then...
  • Docfoster said:
    phorize said:

That's a pretty bold claim.
    Scientist is pretty reliable. Haven't heard a bad album by him.
    Possibly the one of the most reliable dub acts in the world. Not the best AFAIC. He plays it a bit safe for me.

Maybe not safe, exactly, but I think I know what you mean.
  • @Docfoster Love the Dub Syndicate/Lee Perry, but I knew I would ;)
  • Paul Bley and Gary Peacock - Partners

Solos and duets. I've had this album for years and never really got into it. I played it yesterday (that's perhaps for another post) and it's absolutely sublime.

• I'd even forgot I had this one. They seem to have smushed into one in my memory. Paul Bley and Gary Peacock - Mindset.
    I think I prefer Parners, but I'll have to give them another listen.

• Going Home - Art Pepper and George Cables 

Art in a mellow ballad mode beautifully accompanied by pianist Cables. 
  • I always come back to Art Pepper. In his late period, my favourite alto player of all.
  • edited August 2020
    Love these guys. They have not at all evolved their music in over 30 years.
    The singles from their new album could easily have been on the first album of theirs that I bought, 'Flag' in 1989!  :D

(I think that Boris Blank (the one who does the music) creates some great chunky synth sounds.:smiley:
  • Docfoster said:
    Love these guys. They have not at all evolved their music in over 30 years.
    The singles from their new album could easily have been on the first album of theirs that I bought, 'Flag' in 1989!  :D

(I think that Boris Blank (the one who does the music) creates some great chunky synth sounds.:smiley:

Sorry ;)

• That's where I learned all my dance moves.
  • Of course.
  • You're very advanced Ben, I found the Birdie Song dance a struggle!
  • edited September 2020
    OK. So today I've taken the day off and plonked myself down in front of the Big Rig and played an old favourite:

Do you know, there are only covers of Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert on YT? So you'll need to listen to your own copy! Or maybe you'd like a Spotti link:

https://open.spotify.com/album/0I8vpSE1bSmysN2PhmHoQg?si=MSQ6y9YYRh2GscKCno-OXQ

Anyhow, I pushed the volume up to 11 - I can do that now the rubber feet under the Royd stands make sure the room doesn't play along - and I had a revelation! This an album I've owned in various formats from around 1978 onwards, mind you.

I really heard how knackered the piano is - and where in its range it's worst - and a section where Jarrett sounds as if he's pushing its innards along as he's wrestling with it. Unbelievable! 
  • I have 2 vinyl copies of the Koln concert accidently buying the second one thinking I did not have it already. The quality of ECM vinyl is excellent in my experience but my spotify listing is played more often than the vinyl these days. I love his groaning etc during the concert probably to cover up the seriously out of tune piano.

Interesting wiki link about the concert  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_K%C3%B6ln_Concert
  • He groans whenever he plays!
    I have RedBook and HD files. The HD is worth having, IMO.
    That's a good link. 
  • Is it me, or is the music selection on YouTube getting narrower?

I was hoping to point you in the direction of Sinikka Langeland's Land that is Not, but what little of it is on YT is behind a paywall.

So, for your dose of Norwegian Folky, Jazzy, Improvy weirdness, I suggest you pop along to Spotify:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2cuu8fnvSnQdXHS0JmY1Yo?si=0N8ttoVXR-e4X_5egcizCQ
  • Hi uglymusic said:
    OK. So today I've taken the day off and plonked myself down in front of the Big Rig and played an old favourite:

Do you know, there are only covers of Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert on YT? So you'll need to listen to your own copy! Or maybe you'd like a Spotti link:

Anyhow, I pushed the volume up to 11 - I can do that now the rubber feet under the Royd stands make sure the room doesn't play along - and I had a revelation! This an album I've owned in various formats from around 1978 onwards, mind you.

I really heard how knackered the piano is - and where in its range it's worst - and a section where Jarrett sounds as if he's pushing its innards along as he's wrestling with it. Unbelievable! 
    Thanks for the tip, I’ve heard a lot of his playing with other band leaders but never really paid much attention to him in his own right.
  • phorize said:
    Hi uglymusic said:

Thanks for the tip, I’ve heard a lot of his playing with other band leaders but never really paid much attention to him in his own right.

Enjoy! Jarrett is the top jazz pianist IMHO (and plenty of others'). And the 70s were his most creative decade. Again, IMHO.

If you want any more recommendations, you know where to come ;)
  • edited September 2020
    Wayne Shorter - Etcetera  one of his less well known albums.

Penelope is a beautifully moody ballad

• 29mile said:

Wayne Shorter is such an individual voice. I love a lot of his work.
  • Tim Berne - The sublime and. Science Friction Live

My favourite living alto player? Never an easy listen, but as individual a voice as Mr Shorter.

• edited September 2020
    John Abercrombie - Class Trip
    Couldn't find this one on YT, either. Here's the Spotify link instead:
    I love this band - Abercrombie on guitar, Mark Feldman on violin, Marc Johnson on bass (Thomas Morgan in a later version) and Joey Baron on drums. It has a quiet, swinging intensity all of its own. Now that I come to think of it, Jakob Bro's trio with Morgan and Baron has a sort of similar feel, but definitely different.

• phorize said:
    The album Tango and Jazz isn’t on YouTube, but this is Howard Levy explaining it. Shame he doesn’t really tour the UK.
  • Now, it's my turn not to know. I've never heard Howard Levy's work.
    Where should I start?
  • I really like his live project with Antony Molinsro, also Time Capsules. His earlier stuff is great but less interesting to me than his later work which I find fascinating. I’ve never taken to the Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, but I’ve only really hard a couple and those were very middle of the road for me. Howard is a true maestro.
  • Change of mood and two artists that would normally be outside of my musical rainbow by genre but really enjoying both...

• phorize said:
    I really like his live project with Antony Molinsro, also Time Capsules. His earlier stuff is great but less interesting to me than his later work which I find fascinating. I’ve never taken to the Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, but I’ve only really hard a couple and those were very middle of the road for me. Howard is a true maestro.
    I shall investigate. 
  • cj66 said:
    Change of mood and two artists that would normally be outside of my musical rainbow by genre but really enjoying both...

I’ll have to listen to them later, Chris. At the moment I’m playing the John Abercrombie I posted yesterday loud on the big rig because I enjoyed it so much on the Sonos in the office yesterday. 
  • edited September 2020
    Jackie McLean - Destination Out!

Probably my favourite Jackie McLean album, but he had a run of blinders at about this time. A really nice Blue Note sound on this one, too. 
  • edited September 2020
    Tomasz Stanko - Soul of Things
    No YT, again.
    Sooo good, Mr Stanko. Such a shame he passed.
  • edited September 2020
    Dave I'll match your Jackie Mclean with this one from One Step Beyond 

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/2013/07/09/jackie-mclean-one-step-beyond-1963-blue-note/
  • cj66 said:
    Change of mood and two artists that would normally be outside of my musical rainbow by genre but really enjoying both...

My brother gave me this a few years ago because he'd bought it and "didn't like it".
    But I do like it. It is inside my musical rainbow, but is nicely a bit different too. :-)
  • uglymusic said:
    29mile said:

I quite like that.
  • edited September 2020
    29mile said:
    Dave I'll match your Jackie Mclean with this one from One Step Beyond 

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/2013/07/09/jackie-mclean-one-step-beyond-1963-blue-note/
    It doesn't sound like Madness  :)

But seriously, that's one of his I don't have. Actually, coming to think of it, I only have a few.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    29mile said:

I quite like that.
    Why, thank you  ;)
  • edited September 2020
    Robert Wyatt - Shleep

I haven't listened to Robert for some time. I shouldn't leave it so long.

• Harlem River Drive

• edited September 2020
    Some hard core blues from the Wolf 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JjfNI2oO1o

• As we sometimes call our dog: Howling Wilf :)
  • Doesn't quite have the same ring to it Dave !

I used to work with a guy who got to look after these US bluesmen ( Wolf, Sonny Boy , T Bone Walker etc ) when they played the London clubs in the early 60's. He remembered Sonny Boy brought a colt handgun to the gigs just in case he didn't get paid ! ( as regularly happened in the US apparently ).  
  • Nah! But Thelonious is a cockapoo and not at all wolf-like.
    I've heard that story about the gun before somewhere.
  • cj66 said:

Finally got round to listening to these, Chris.
    The first one threw me as it's used as the theme music for a podcast I listen to.
    FWIW, I think I prefer the second, though.

• The Rjd2 I came across as a soundtrack to something as well.