Pre Amp to pair with EWA M50

I’ve managed to pick up the EWA M50 Power amp.. which is great.. currently paired with a Tube pre amp (Eastern Electric Avant) everything sounds fab.. except the pre amp has started to pick up the local radio station.. It’s not even decent music... so it’s become a problem.

This goes away when I switch over to an old SS pre amp I have knocking about.. so it’s definitely the tube pre.. 

I guess I’m pre amp shopping.. with very little funds. Any recommendations? Would a passive pre be ok with the M50? Any advice or recommendations appreciated.. 

cheers Steve

Comments

• Hi Steve,
    I don't have a lot of experience with pre-amps.
    For a long time I used a PC (soundcard) straight into one of Colin's Class A power amps and it worked fine (so no external preamp hardware at all), so a passive pre- could be fine.
    More recently I got me a Xonar Essence One Muses Edition all-in-one DAC and preamp for a strangely low price, which is be-au-ti-ful.
  • Docfoster said:
    Hi Steve,
    I don't have a lot of experience with pre-amps.
    For a long time I used a PC (soundcard) straight into one of Colin's Class A power amps and it worked fine (so no external preamp hardware at all), so a passive pre- could be fine.
    More recently I got me a Xonar Essence One Muses Edition all-in-one DAC and preamp for a strangely low price, which is be-au-ti-ful.
    Thanks.. Might try the passive route.. seems the cheapest option for me at the min..  👍🏻👍🏻
  • Hi Steve

I have been using NVA passive amps with the ID25 I got from Ben with great results. The NVA P90 is a dual mono with stepped attenuators and although you have to crank it up it really lets the amp do its stuff. However am looking to try a SECA pre at some stage in the future,

• The besterest choice is an M-50 P preamplifier, but they cost over two grand. I'm still saving for one.

The current Q-20 pre is actually brilliant, a step up from the excellent older TQ listen which @uglymusic uses. If you can find either, you could be sorted for life. 👍 I know someone happily using a EWA Q-20 P with an M-100.

Older Magnum can sometimes be found, and with mods they are very good with a pure SECA line stage. You best consult with Colin first though, as many Magnum were awful after he left. Not as detailed as the newer Wonfor kit either. I still have a Wonfor modified one in my workshop going unused.

Passives do work fine, even better if Colin modifies your amplifier input to suit one. All his power amps are actually designed for an appropriate active stage. We have an EWA Q-20-P coming in for inspection and sale soon. It's a demo model, in a silver chassis but fully up to current spec (I actually had my eye on it). A new black one is £650 and this silver one will be £400.

If you or anyone else is interested, best contact me via the ABCaudio webshop as I don't get email notifications from 'Chews.

• Thanks for the feedback.. :)
    29mile said:
    Hi Steve

I have been using NVA passive amps with the ID25 I got from Ben with great results. The NVA P90 is a dual mono with stepped attenuators and although you have to crank it up it really lets the amp do its stuff. However am looking to try a SECA pre at some stage in the future,

• Thanks Alan.. really appreciate that :)
    Alan said:
    The besterest choice is an M-50 P preamplifier, but they cost over two grand. I'm still saving for one.

The current Q-20 pre is actually brilliant, a step up from the excellent older TQ listen which @uglymusic uses. If you can find either, you could be sorted for life. 👍 I know someone happily using a EWA Q-20 P with an M-100.

Older Magnum can sometimes be found, and with mods they are very good with a pure SECA line stage. You best consult with Colin first though, as many Magnum were awful after he left. Not as detailed as the newer Wonfor kit either. I still have a Wonfor modified one in my workshop going unused.

Passives do work fine, even better if Colin modifies your amplifier input to suit one. All his power amps are actually designed for an appropriate active stage. We have an EWA Q-20-P coming in for inspection and sale soon. It's a demo model, in a silver chassis but fully up to current spec (I actually had my eye on it). A new black one is £650 and this silver one will be £400.

If you or anyone else is interested, best contact me via the ABCaudio webshop as I don't get email notifications from 'Chews.

• Alan said:
    The besterest choice is an M-50 P preamplifier, but they cost over two grand. I'm still saving for one.

£400 for the silver one will be a bargain for someone. 
  • I have it, oh I have one poo back to the Oberon

• Finally got my M50 preamp to go with my Seca 50 mono amps. This should be a match made in heaven. More to follow depending on the amount of sleep I shall get.
  • Jealous? Me?
  • Enjoy 😊

My ID1P pre has just gone back to its maker for a bit of TLC
  • quickie said:
    Enjoy 😊

Had TLC from you for what 30yrs or so, it fine BW flat 10Hz -100KHz no distortion worth a mention.
    I like the remote volume control Paul, when did you do that? Nice rotary Blue Alps, lovely work as normal.
    TOCA 20W PCB coming you way please fit cap 100nF supplied and not those toy things , well nice Cap but the Polycarbs are a wee bit better.
    The Main PSU Caps can go up to now 33,000uF each ok 6 of them. MMM smooth PSU.

Catch up soon my friend.
    Still cany drive light hurts. >:)
  • Billc666 said:
    Finally got my M50 preamp to go with my Seca 50 mono amps. This should be a match made in heaven. More to follow depending on the amount of sleep I shall get.
    Bill it a M40 pre-amp, much better match with Bal out and in. And not a chunky over the top chassis.
    The HIP 1 sounds amazing on the Royds Alan got me, the image is crazy for a 15W Kit amp.
    Clive should be playing with it this weekend, took me just 2 hrs to make, you pre took me 2 days, most of that time match bit, ie 97K5 Rs to within 0.0001% and caps to 0.1%, do have a clue how many caps I went thru ???
     Cable Modified enjoy, Oh I found a great use for the plastic webbing from the cable, it kept the French ~ A Class (lie) transformer buzzing the chassis like a drum.

No singing today remember : B)
  • AntiCrap said:
    Billc666 said:
    Finally got my M50 preamp to go with my Seca 50 mono amps. This should be a match made in heaven. More to follow depending on the amount of sleep I shall get.
    Bill it a M40 pre-amp, much better match with Bal out and in. And not a chunky over the top chassis.
    The HIP 1 sounds amazing on the Royds Alan got me, the image is crazy for a 15W Kit amp.
    Clive should be playing with it this weekend, took me just 2 hrs to make, you pre took me 2 days, most of that time match bit, ie 97K5 Rs to within 0.0001% and caps to 0.1%, do have a clue how many caps I went thru ???
     Cable Modified enjoy, Oh I found a great use for the plastic webbing from the cable, it kept the French ~ A Class (lie) transformer buzzing the chassis like a drum.

No singing today remember : B)
    When do I get to play with the kit amp, Col?  :)
  • AntiCrap said:
    quickie said:
    Enjoy 😊

Had TLC from you for what 30yrs or so, it fine BW flat 10Hz -100KHz no distortion worth a mention.
    I like the remote volume control Paul, when did you do that? Nice rotary Blue Alps, lovely work as normal.
    TOCA 20W PCB coming you way please fit cap 100nF supplied and not those toy things , well nice Cap but the Polycarbs are a wee bit better.
    The Main PSU Caps can go up to now 33,000uF each ok 6 of them. MMM smooth PSU.

Catch up soon my friend.
    Still cany drive light hurts. >:)
    Must of fitted the remote volume not long after I purchased the pre, so getting on for 15 years ago now. Where did that go.?

I found some cde 39,000uf caps in my stash, but only 10,and don't think they are made anymore.

Hip 1 looks cool. Nice one Col 😊