Don't mess with the hi-fi! Or Pandora's box got reopened

I'm tempted to blame @29mile who, a few weeks ago, asked me which digital interconnect I was using  :) But I'm not going to blame him. This is a story of 'best keep your hands off the hi-fi' if ever there was one. And they're my hands.

I didn't know what the interconnect was then. I still don't, as it seems unbranded. I suppose it may even be half a stereo set from somewhere, god forbid.

Anyhow, I've been rummaging around in my bag of interconnects and found a similarly unbranded RCA S/PDIF cable, but with some nice Neutrik terminations. The cable is sheathed in red and is some kind of solid core construction.

I have a theory of what it is, but I won't mention its possible identity because I never mention that brand. Maybe someone who sold me it or gave me such a lead to try out could put me out of my misery and allow me to relax that it's not the brand I prefer not to mention.

So, what's it sound like, Dave? Very different from what was in place. It would have to, or there would be no point in this post!

My wife loves it. To her mind, there's no competition. That's because singers are so realistic we couldn't believe it. But I mainly listen to instrumental music. So the singer thing doesn't cut too much ice.

But the red lead (let's call it that for now) does texture and detail much better than the dark green lead (similar rationale to the other's nomenclature). And the red lead seems to restore the drive that had been lost with the Allo Digione Signature (not a big thing, but I can convince myself that a bit is missing).

The problem is that a lot of the wonderful warm acoustic and front-to-back sound stage has gone. What a disappointment! And, together, they're a big plus for the dark green lead.

I'm sticking with the red lead for the moment. It's clearly the better lead, but I'm not sure I can do without the sound stage stuff that comes with the green lead.

Any recommendations for S/PDIF RCA interconnects?

Comments

• If you're right about the red lead I think it was one of the best applications for that brand's cables. I had one and thought it was good along the lines you and Ms Uglymusic described. Tho I didn't compare it tirelessly, and never to any of Colin's jobbies.
  • Well mine is blue, so there!

I inherited it somehow, can't remember the circumstances but viewed it with disdain. It is from a well known company but I'm not sure if it's the same as the aforementioned shall-not-be-named mystery brand.

On actually trying it, comparing to a decent single line cable and some good grade satellite cable with sturdy plugs, it was noticeably better at opening up the music, more air, more detail and definition, along with greatly improved tone.

So, blue with gold plugs, sporting the brands sub-brand/series name and on the sheath is only "07513 FEET".
  • Docfoster said:
    If you're right about the red lead I think it was one of the best applications for that brand's cables. I had one and thought it was good along the lines you and Ms Uglymusic described. Tho I didn't compare it tirelessly, and never to any of Colin's jobbies.

Thanks for (almost certainly) confirming my suspicions, Ben. I still won't mention the brand. We know which one we're talking about.
    I'm led to believe Colin doesn't have an S/PDIF RCA cable in his armoury, so I'll need to start looking elsewhere, I think.
  • edited November 2020
    cj66 said:
    Well mine is blue, so there!

I inherited it somehow, can't remember the circumstances but viewed it with disdain. It is from a well known company but I'm not sure if it's the same as the aforementioned shall-not-be-named mystery brand.

On actually trying it, comparing to a decent single line cable and some good grade satellite cable with sturdy plugs, it was noticeably better at opening up the music, more air, more detail and definition, along with greatly improved tone.

So, blue with gold plugs, sporting the brands sub-brand/series name and on the sheath is only "07513 FEET".

'Blue with gold plugs, sporting the brands sub-brand/series name and on the sheath is only "07513 FEET"' sounds like the answer I'm looking for. Providing it's not from the unmentionable brand. :)
  • edited November 2020
    As I was mentioned in dispatches :) I also think I have used a similar 'red lead' between my cd transport and DAC to good effect. However other well reviewed brands are available eg

https://black-rhodium.co.uk/
    https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/digital-coax
  • 29mile said:
    As I was mentioned in dispatches :) I also think I have used a similar 'red lead' between my cd transport and DAC to good effect. However other well reviewed brands are available eg

https://black-rhodium.co.uk/
    https://www.audioquest.com/cables/digital-cables/digital-coax

You were, but without blame ;)
    Thanks for the links. I think I'm going to have to do my homework.
  • The green lead has won out. It's just more 'realistic' even if the red one has certain areas where it clearly wins.
    I've always been one for detail and drive, so there's clearly a lot wrong with the overall presentation from the red lead for me to reject it.
    Or maybe I'm getting old and looking for a more relaxed life?
  • edited December 2020
    It's a Catch22 problem, try wet string Dave it stops digital lies DEAD  o:) >:) <3
    Better still get a bucket fill it with sea water and pour it with care into the Digital thing, unplug first. 

Digital lies gone forever cool, well bloody hot in truth.
  • So the hunt is on to identify the mysterious "green lead"...
  • The hunt will be on to find a better lead. 

One that has the detail and drive of the red and the atmosphere of the green. Without costing hundreds of pounds. 
  • Thanks, Mervyn. I'll have a look.