It50 or dreadnought.

Hi all hope you are all keeping well. 
May I ask what the difference between the two power amps are and which people prefer? 
Many thanks

Comments

• I am, thanks. How about you?

On the amps, I haven't a clue. Sorry.
  • Which Dreadnought, oh they are Blue copies are not Blue and there is few, one even on e-crap bay
  • There is also two types of IT50 get photo of the lid off.
  • How do I put a photo on 
  • Dose this help 
  • edited June 2021
    Sorry
  • Dose the link work ok? 
  • I took the link down Colin and sent you an email. Hope you get them. 
  • The link works.
  • You might be able to put them up on here better then me I'm no good with photos and links. 
  • I thought, shit, what happened to the link?
  • Did it show all my other photos through
  • It did, this is one of only two prototype IT50 that where stolen unfortunately they both had hum loops and buzzed.
  • Oh I see so not worth buying then Colin. 
  • Did it show all my other photos through
    Just two images.
  • It is from Tom Fletcher Nottingham analogue. 
  • edited June 2021
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FB23TP8So4ZbzoKE7

[Docfoster Edit... I couldn't get the images to show from their Google link. I put the photos in Imgur and have linked to them from there.]

• Four pics.
  • Yes four pics 
  • Think I can do it now lol
  • Thing is I am using two musical fidelity p180 and the moment and they do sound good don't no if it's worth a change. 
  • I can't advise you. I don't know the MF p180s or the C14 amps.

How much do you like Colin's ideas about how an amp should sound?
  • I don’t know these amps.
    I’ve owned a couple of more recent MuFi integrated amps. The X-A2 (late 90s?) and the A3.2 (early 2000s?) Liked both.
    I’ve owned 4 of Colin’s amps. Original Claymore (reconditioned), ID25, Toca Seca 20 and the One4 SECA.
    Loved all of them. Especially the last 2. Colin’s class A amps are amazing.
    I said goodbye to those MuFi amps a long time ago, and certainly haven’t done direct comparisons between them and any of Colin’s amps, so i can’t feel certain, but don’t think I’d swap any for the MuFi amps I’ve owned, good though they were. The A3.2 v Claymore would be the only close call. But since the Claymore was reconditioned, I think it’d win.

I don’t think the IT50 or the dreadnaught are class A. If one is, go for that one.
    I think the dreadnaught is more powerful...?
    I think the IT50 is the more recent model...?
    I don’t know if the amps are similar designs.
    Colin says this particular IT50 is faulty and was stolen. I see you’ve discounted it. Have any other options turned up?

What’s drawing you to these 2?
  • Well I just like collecting and using Colin's things. I have a early pre amp itx and an fmt. 
    And I have a classics Oberon. 
    So was working for a power amp to go with the pre. 
    But I will keep looking. 
    A Tova would be good just don't see the bigger ones that often. 
    Many thanks
  • You don't really need lots of watts with a Class A. My 30 watt monoblocks happily drive the fairly insensitive Royds in a 27' room.

And the electricity bill is another argument against lots of Class A watts. 
  • Well I just like collecting and using Colin's things. I have a early pre amp itx and an fmt. 
    And I have a classics Oberon. 
    So was working for a power amp to go with the pre. 
    But I will keep looking. 
    A Tova would be good just don't see the bigger ones that often. 
    I know. Those TOCAs are secretive fellows. I only just about caught sight of this one hiding under my stairs the other day before it scurried off behind the skirting board.

Understood about the collectors approach.
    And in that case, it probably matters less how good each is in absolute terms! :-)
  • BTW, I couldn't get the images to show from their Google link. I put the photos in Imgur and have linked to them from there.
    They should now be showing in your post above.
  • uglymusic said:
    You don't really need lots of watts with a Class A. My 30 watt monoblocks happily drive the fairly insensitive Royds in a 27' room.

And the electricity bill is another argument against lots of Class A watts. 
    Good point well made.
    My TOCA is 20 and my One4 is I think 28. Absolutely plenty to achieve realistic listening levels. Never even close to capacity.
    At party levels, there is some slight break up, but I'm too old to party.
  • I think Mark like his Watts   :)

Unless you've got really insensitive speakers, or something that's a pig to drive, then 20w should be plenty.

The Toca certainly played louder then the power rating would suggest.

Them Wonfor Watts are special ones  :p
  • quickie said:
    I think Mark like his Watts   :)

Unless you've got really insensitive speakers, or something that's a pig to drive, then 20w should be plenty.

Yes:
    Think: wattage of LED lightbulb.
  • Docfoster said:
    quickie said:

Yes:

Digital lies?
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    quickie said:

Yes:

Digital lies?
    :-D

brilliant!
  • Thanks for the feedback. The speakers I have are linn isobarik. So are not the easiest to drive. I have had one of Colin's one4 amps and I found it not anoth to drive them. I think that was a 20w class A.

• Thanks for the feedback. The speakers I have are linn isobarik. So are not the easiest to drive. I have had one of Colin's one4 amps and I found it not anoth to drive them. I think that was a 20w class A.

Yes.
    I would think so.👍
  • Some photos of Oberon and Inca tech pre I have internal photos of pre. 

OK. Now you're talking difficult to drive (so they tell me).
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    quickie said:

Yes:

Digital lies?
    :-D

brilliant!

Thankinyew! :)
  • Been a long time since I've seen an IT1X.

Used to sell them along with Claymores and the IT50/100 power amps. 
  • Yes it's a very good pre I must say I really enjoy listening to it.