Recommendations: Bill Evans

JimJim
edited December 2010 in Jazz
Alone. 1968 and as the title suggests it's a solo album.  Utterly gorgeous.  As well as fantastic playing and an excellent choice of tunes the sound quality is superb.  Very open and full/rich piano sound.

The Paris Concert: Editions 1 and 2. 1979.  Wonderful playing and a very good choice of pieces.

Everybody Digs Bill Evans.  1958 and his second album.  Two of his own songs and some great covers of Rollins, Cole Porter and other tracks

Comments

• How could you leave out:

Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby, both from the same gig and packaged in various ways

? These are one of the great piano trios at their peak.

I also like his duets with Jim Hall:

Undercurrents

Intermodulation
  • Yup, all true and fantastic recordings. 

But what to leave in and leave out?

Mind you when I hear Waltz for Debby by Evans I miss the sax :)

• Am I being slow this morning? The sax?
  • I'm more familiar with Cannonball playing Waltz for Debby on Know What I Mean.  Evans on the keys - lovely
  • I don't know that at all.
  • You should get a copy, bloody good.  Maybe on Spoticus, I haven't looked.

It'll be on my Cannonball recs when I get I round to doing it.
  • It is on Spartacus. 

Just listened to the first track, and I think it's one of the best performances I've heard from Cannonball. The problem, for me, with the track is that Percy Heath and Connie Kay shouldn't be in the same universe as Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian. This version doesn't do that fantastic floating/elastic time thing that the trio version does.
  • You're right.  A tribute to Evans in that he is comfortable and more than able to fit in with both styles.
  • Yes. Evans was a brilliant pianist.