Musicians... PITA

edited March 2011 in Musicians
A bit of sounding off here I'm afraid.

I've spent a lot of time and money over the last 6 months contributing to the establishing of a new band with a couple of other guys. It's sort of psychadelic folk/dub or something.

As well as the weekly band practice sessions, I've forked out on a nice new acoustic bass, a couple of preamps/DI boxes, various cables, called in some favours to get hold of a nice mic, and have put-in lots of private practice time getting my bongo/conga playing up to a half-decent standard. We were starting to sound OK, and had just started trying out with a very interesting female vocalist. We were focussing on finalising a set of original material list for some gigs in the summer.

All of a sudden our dig' player who also, crucially, provides our rehearsal/studio venue (in a lovely summer house in his garden), all the supporting performance and recording electronics (reverbs, synths, compressors, music PC etc.,...) decides he wants a "break"!

I suppose it's the wasted emotional investment rather than financial/time investment (those 2 I suppose I can hopefully benefit from anyway).

Bloody artistic termperaments...

X(

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Ben - there is only one thing to do for a suddenly depleted band at a time like this - release a greatest hits compilation & make a film or two.
  • Musicians - truly dreadful people if you ask me. ;)
  • More positive about this...

The female and singer and I are trying a new direction...

I have tracked down a guitarist that I worked with a few years ago, and the 3 of us our meeting up this evening for a quiet drink to discuss a possible musical endeavor...!

(Gromit - if we decide that what we really need is a 4th member to play clarinet we'll be in contact, just so long as you can promise that you're not prone to hissy fits or the need for 'artistic breaks'...!)
  • Update - Meeting went well. We now have an embryonic 3 piece! :-)
    We're building a set of covers to start with (ferocious arguments over which ones), and hopefully will move to some originals once we've got going.