Other guilty pleasures

edited April 2011 in Other stuff
I just said I may not order some interconnects right away because this month is espresso machine month (finally).

Which led me to thinking about the other things that attempt to drain my bank account - other than hi-fi and music, that is.

I guess they're:
  • Photography - oh for a digital Leica!
  • Bikes (the pedalled variety) - I really fancy a Moulton
  • Eating out
  • Cookbooks
  • Kitchen gadgets - how much is a water bath???
What diverts your funds from your hi-fi? NB 'family' and 'mortgage' are not allowable as answers 
[-X

Edit: Having seen Andy's post on the Young DAC discussion, I should add, of course:
  • Wine - nothing too outrageous, just something nice
  • Vintage Port

Comments

• For me it's golf, been playing for some 20 odd years now and still as keen as ever
  • I am a terrible scrooge. Terrible.
    Other than Hifi and a little music I buy little of value. I saw Jason manford on tv the other day saying that he doesn't believe in spending more than a fiver on anything that isn't electrical. I have a broadly similar policy.
    I did by a new acoustic bass earlier this year for a few hundred, but it's got a pick up in it, so really it could be counted as electrical.
    Oh, I bought a new clothes horse last month for a tenner. Lovely it is, you can fit a whole load on it.
  • You are such an ascetic, Ben. I shall have to give it all up and follow your simple ways  O:)
  • PACPAC
    edited April 2011
    For me it's a similar story to yourself Dave:

Photography...this has taken up much of my time over the years, I've even gone to the extremes of converting a bedroom to a permanent darkroom (I still dabble in antiquity called "film") and the camera collection has shrunk, but at last count still numbered a Bronica 645, Mamiya 330s TLR, Canon EOS 50e, three Olympuses (an OM10, OM1n and OM2n), a vintage Canon SLR, 20 lenses, two tripods, two enlargers (including a semi professional AC650), 4 enlarger lenses (Componon S), Metz Megablitz flashgun plus three others and too many other bits and pieces to list.  Digital is just one, a Nikon P5000 professional.  Obsessive, Moi?  

Motorcycles:
    just this one:

A Colin Edwards Replica Aprilia RSVR, #241 of only 451 made.  Bonkers but luverly.

Mountain biking and road cycling (Monoc road bike and home built mountain bike based around an Azonic propulsion frame);

Shooting:  Rough shooting, clay shooting, rifle and shotgun.

Cooking:  The hotter the food the better....comes from too much time working in the Far East.

Oh...and hi-fi.
  • Another keen photographer here.  I'm not one to dabble in film though...all digital here.  Started photographing a few weddings over the last couple of years, which is something I really enjoy just not sure it's financial viable in my neck of the woods - fierce competition.  I use a Canon 5D2 with three prime lenses.  Although I've got a couple of zooms there's no going back after using good quality primes (plus the zooms can't cope with near darkness during church ceremonies).

I tend to fluctuate between spending on hi-fi in the winter months and camera stuff during the spring/summer.

I also enjoy the odd bottle of port - much to my wife's disgust. Apparently at 34 I'm too young to be drinking port
    ^:)^
  • Nah - I've loved port since I was 25. I'm aiming to get gout before I'm 31!
  • Photography, Port and Espresso fans on Audio Chews. What a fantastic place! How do I join?  :-D
  • Homebrew for me I'm afraid Dave. :)>-
  • You sparge the wort frequently?  :-S
  • It's something that I've only recently got into. I haven't progressed from kits yet, so no wort sparging...!
  • I had a flatmate whose weakness was for sparging all over the kitchen floor.
  • Homebrew and fine malts for me.  Been doing my beers for about 15 years now.  I try not to sparge all over the kitchen as it's impolite :D
  • Fine malts. That's another one, although I haven't been indulging so much in recent years.
  • Bicycles: One road, one XC, one DH.
    Photography.