Music Library Organization for windows

edited May 2011 in Digital
My main system is based around a MAC - largely because when I started in computer audio MAC systems were (and still are) the best charted route to a serious quality source. I have no real plans to change.

But what about windows? My office computer runs W7pro and I am very pleased with it. I also listen to my main music library backup (or archive) through it, usually by searching for an album title & playing the tracks with foobar. But it would be nice to have a proper music library that presents my files rather like iTunes does (and recognizes FLAC, because that is the format of my archive).

Other than purchasing JRiver media - which I may do at some point - does anyone know of a programme I can install to organise these files on my external drive?

Comments

• Why not set up your network properly and stream your files from your NAS using iTunes on the Windoze machine? You'll have very similar interfaces on both machines and it's free!

Your FLAC archive can then remain as it was originally thought of, as a pure archive.
  • I would need an 'N' router, which is do-able but tricky for me as SKY are my ISP. They are incredibly unhelpful at the merest suggestion of using a non SKY router.

I also may change from them soon, further complicating the short-term.

The last time I streamed my music I suffered drop-outs on the main system with red-book files, and a 30 second wait while tracks cued up in memory play. It may work fine with the office system, but the big-rig won't like it. Maybe after the MAC gets a new antennae. Should be about a tenner....
  • Virgin had the same attitude until I told them that my AirPort Extreme was probably better than their router, so I wasn't going to be ditching it anytime soon!

It proved to be very easy to set up with the Virgin router. Does your Sky box have an Ethernet socket?
  • Yes, it has four from memory. I also have a spare 'N' router in the garage somewhere - actually, I'm sure I remember being given two. They aren't particularly good - one is simply a router and the other is the more common modem/router.
  • They should be able to be persuaded to talk to each other.

If you're happy to wait a couple of weeks, I have a reason to be in your neck of the woods. I can have a look, if you like.
  • Thanks mate, that is very kind of you!

However, I will shortly change ISP and revisit the whole router/'N' network thing in the next few months so it's best I wait for now. And as I previously said, my MAC won't yet stream red-book wirelessly without dropping out and needs to be looked at when I take it apart for its SSD & RAM upgrade. FWIW My neighbour is something of an Apple whizz & he couldn't get to the bottom of it last week.

What I really want for now is a programme to whack on my laptop - rather like iTunes (but not iTunes - my lappy is allergic to it) to organise my files with. Foobar plays them nicely.
  • So be it.

Can't help you on the Windoze front :-(