Volume control - hardware or software?

edited May 2011 in Digital
With new version of Decibel, we can control the volume in software, and Decibel can even be controlled with an Apple remote. So what do I want my Eva back for? It's there just as a volume control.

So, panel, which route would you go for?:
  1. Volume control in software. Eliminates some hardware and a set of cables, but isn't 'bit-perfect'
  2. Volume control in hardware. Puts extra stuff in the signal path, but retains 'bit-perfectness'.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Both! - sort of.

I want the adjustment my preamp gives me without losing quality, though I may use the software if my IR remote falls down the sofa cushions! I also pipe 'telly through my system, and although it also runs through the DAC & I only need one source - I do want the volume adjustment.

• I dunno. But I've been thinking about this since acquiring the TFS.
    I do need my preamp as an input selector and to control vinyl volume levels and other sources.
    But i've wondered if an iota of difference might be affected if the TFS were to be plugged into the 'direct' input of the preamp (thus bypassing the volume pots at least). Not sure if I fully understand the implications of the digital volume thing in it's entirety...
    TBH I haven't experimented, mainly because my rig is a bugger to rewire (lots of minimum length SSP).
    But Dave, i can see how there's more food got thought in your system... Keep us informed of any listenings...
  • I don't know just what is different about the 'direct' input on the P90, but it certainly is governed by the volume controls. I had my CDPs & DACs on the 'direct' input for years as I understood there were subtle sonic gains to be had due to a simpler signal path. I never heard it tbh.

The dimmest recesses of my dim mind seems to dimly recall the 'direct' input bypasses the selector switch itself, thus any music will find its way to the power amp however the input selecter switch is set. As my serious music listening never clashed with an operating television, I had he TV into one input & DAC into 'Direct'.
  • Alan yes direct input on the P90 merely cuts out the selector switch.
    As for 'pre or no-pre' I like Ben need my preamp to select between the Nexus and turntable. Jason I think prefers the TFS direct into the power amps. I have tried this briefly with my Nexus but found it becoming a bit too 'digital'. I longer try out might prove different but I do enjoy the very analogue sound of the Nexus through the pre.
    ( FWIW I noticed RD prefers his TFS with a pre),
  • I don't know just what is different about the 'direct' input on the P90, but it certainly is governed by the volume controls. I had my CDPs & DACs on the 'direct' input for years as I understood there were subtle sonic gains to be had due to a simpler signal path. I never heard it tbh.

The dimmest recesses of my dim mind seems to dimly recall the 'direct' input bypasses the selector switch itself, thus any music will find its way to the power amp however the input selecter switch is set. As my serious music listening never clashed with an operating television, I had he TV into one input & DAC into 'Direct'.
    That is correct on all counts, Mr Alien.
  • Ah. Should have read @Mervyn's post first.
  • Interesting question Dave.  Having only one source I would gladly cut out the Lightspeed/Burson Buffer combo in the quest for a simpler signal path.  In fact, I might just have to try going from the Young DAC direct into my speakers and using the Decibel volume control.  It has got to be better than the Sonos volume control which goes from zero to ear bleeding with the slightest movement.

James

• Well I was wrong - the Decibel volume control goes from off to too loud in one click of cmd+[.  

Back to the Lightspeed it is then 
    :)
  • edited May 2011
    I stand corrected.
    If a bit confused. So the direct input bypasses the selector switch even though there's a selector position for the direct input?
  • BTW I think I'm right in saying that RD himself says that NVA power amps 'expect' there to be a passive preamp (at least some sort of attenuator) between them and a source. I don't think there's any danger to circuitry, but the power amps are not designed / tested sonically to be fed direct by a source. Of course, it'll be a matter of personaly taste which arrangement a particular listener prefers.
    Technically I have no idea about such things, and haven't tried either of the more direct routes myself.
  • Well I was wrong - the Decibel volume control goes from off to too loud in one click of cmd+[.  

Back to the Lightspeed it is then 
    :)
    Thanks for trying that James.
  • I stand corrected.
    If a bit confused. So the direct input bypasses the selector switch even though there's a selector position for the direct input?
    On my Statement Pre, the Direct input doesn't go near a switch.
  • Maybe it's our Obergruppenfuhrer's idea of a joke?  ;-)
  • I've found this bit on some of my TFS options:

http://thehifisubjectivist.noadforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=341&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=80

And on the issue of the 'direct' option on the P90, I notice a comment on this page

http://www.nene-valley-audio.com/frames/nva/preamps.html

that ties in with what others have said here.
    So...to clarify, the 'Direct' setting on the P90s selector switch does NOT bypass the volume, but does somehow bypass the selector switch itself...?

@-)
  • Seek and ye shall find, Ben ;-)