A Single Man

edited May 2011 in Movies
We watched it on Blu-ray over the weekend.

What a great movie! Performances (Colin Firth is much better than I'd ever given him credit for, must get hold of the King's Speech), cinematography, script etc.

I have to give a 'No bombs. No special effects' warning, though.

Comments

• One of my favourite films Dave. Simply dripping with style, great performances and a moving storyline. I hope Tom Ford goes on to direct many more films.
  • Yeah. It's great. I'll certainly be watching it again soon.

I bought it just because it was on offer and was just about the only thing that didn't have explosions!
  • One of my best mates has just fitted Tom Ford's kitchen, he lives in Oakham of all places when he's in the UK.
  • edited June 2011
    A very good film, indeed. Christopher Isherwood's short novel / long short story is also a good read as is his "Goodbye to Berlin/Berlin Diaries" that inspired the musical "Cabaret."

I can also recommend "An Education" by Danish director Lone Scherfig although not as stylish as "A Single Man:" A coming-of-age story about a teenage girl in 1960s suburban London, and
    how her life changes with the arrival of a playboy nearly twice her age. Starring: Carey Mulligan, Olivia Williams, Alfred Molina.

On another note, I am into season three of Mad Men (DVD), which I enjoy very much. Very elegant and seemingly true to its time period. I'm looking forward to the release of season four on DVD.

Best wishes,
    Peter
  • Yeah. I keep meaning to read the story. Thanks for the reminder.

And 'An Education' is a film I've wanted to see but never got round to. One to keep an eye out for in the DVD bins.

Somehow, I never got into Mad Men. Perhaps because I've worked in ad agencies!