Hiss!

edited May 2011 in Digital
Hi All,

I've posted the problem below on the Meridian Forum but haven't found a solution - hopefully much more experienced minds than mine on here may be able to suggest a course of action?

I
am hearing quite a loud Hiss/White Noise (not sure of the correct
description) from my speakers. This noise is present when my CD source
is both playing and not and is not affected by reducing the volume to 0
or the CDP and DSP are placed in Standby mode.

I have made some
preliminary investigations and the noise is very noticeable from 12
inches distance with my ear toward the speaker however, it dissipates to
almost nothing when I switch my DAC from Input D1 to another, albeit unused,
source - I'm assuming switching sources mutes the volume.

I would be very grateful for any advice on solutions or checks I can make?

Many Thanks

Neil

506 CDP - Digital Coaxial to
518 DSP - AES/EBU to
563 DAC - XLR to
Pair of 605 Monoblocks - single wired to
Kef Reference 1s

Comments

• Hi Neil,

Its always difficult trying to visualize these things from a distance, but I think I get your gist. Are you able to lose the hiss by putting your CDP onto another input? If you can then it is the input that must be faulty.

If you still have it then is it your CDP? Do you have another one you can try?
  • If you can only hear it from a foot away from the speaker (ie: not from your listening postion) then I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Not that helpfull I know but you can drive yourself nuts about this sort of stuff.I have half a dozen or so amps here and all have very small amounts of hiss/hum if you put your ear close to the speaker.

Paul.
  • Alan/Paul,

Strangely I have disconnected everything, moved to a new rack and now the hiss is at a much lower level - now at a level that's not worth worrying about really - I'm also going to make some new power cables as all mine are far too long and may not be helping!

Neil
  • FWIW, I get different levels of hum from my TDSs according to the position of the moon - or summat like that! :-)
  • edited June 2011
    Neil.

It seems that your kit and cables needed to be cuddled a little.

It is always a good idea to go through your set-up once in a while, unplugging and replugging everything, dusting off and what not. Even my wife needs that ocassionally.

Best wishes,
    Peter
  • LOL!

'Hold still, Sam. Peter says I need to give you a dusting off...' 
    :-D