Jerry's classical listening blog

edited December 2010 in Classical

I wonder if this idea will work ... probably not many classically-inclined folks here, but I'll start off listing the pieces I listen to as I go along and see if any interest arises ....

Last night ...

Aulis Sallinen's 6th symphony and cello concerto on the CPO label.  20th Century and quite 'modern' sounding.  Some quite spectacular sequences involving drums and brass in the symphony.  Very effective on a good stereo system!  The cello concerto is a bit less accessible, quite introspective.

Amy Beach's piano concerto.  Yep, a lady composer (1867-1944). Pretty obscure stuff this, but a highly enjoyable romp!

Daniel Mason string quartet ("based on Negro themes").  Lovely tunes here, & really quite moving in the more contemplative sections.

Comments

• I'm always threatening to get more into classical stuff, especially the fringe end of things.

I welcome any recommendations you have mate.
  • I'd love to learn more about 'classical' music - I find it frustrating to buy as I understand little about the different versions available - quite apart from the composer, there's the orchestra, the conductor, even the record label to consider...

I will be reading with interest, Jerry. Culturize me, baby!
  • Go for it, Jerry

I have a bit of 20th C and Baroque, surprisingly enough.

Feed me some interesting stuff, particularly if I can sample it on Spotify before purchase.
  • edited December 2010

Hmmm ... well, yeah, I'm happy to advise as best I can.  If you have any specific questions or requests for info, that would help! 

... e.g. what's a great budget recording of Beethoven's fifth symphony?

or .... what would you recommend to get a classical noob into some good stuff?

or ... 5 great recordings to start a classical collection

or ... some big powerful orchestral music to show off my system's capabilities

etc ...

• edited December 2010
    I wasn't necessarily asking you to set yourself up as the Classical Music Doctor, but I do have a question that I asked back on the old place and no one answered. 

I enjoyed the Tokyo String Quartet's recording of Beethoven's late quartets on Spotify (I can't give you a link because they only seem to show me the 1990 recording not the new 2010 when I search for it). I wondered whether it was a wise purchase or whether there's something better. I may have answered my own question, because I've found some alternative performances on Spotify that I can have a listen to to see if I like them.

Anyway, I was really suggesting that you go one more step and link to the recording on Spotify (if it exists) so we can hear what you're enjoying.
  • I haven't heard the TSQ's Beethoven lates (Jerry may well have done so), but I do rate their Mozart String Quintets very highly - they're a fab ensemble. There are lots of very good recordings of the Beethoven lates. Of digital recordings my vote would go to the Lindsay Quartet. In vintage stereo try the Quartetto Italiano or the Vegh - or if you can cope with mono sound, the classic accounts from the Busch Quartet are wonderful. 
  • This thread has great potential Jerry. I for one would like your recommendations for five accessible pieces (not even sure that's the right term) of classical music. Particularly if a couple of them have piano or violin solos.....I find listening to violin in particular very enjoyable.

Like others have commented though; I wouldn't know where to start :-D
  • I haven't heard the TSQ's Beethoven lates (Jerry may well have done so), but I do rate their Mozart String Quintets very highly - they're a fab ensemble. There are lots of very good recordings of the Beethoven lates. Of digital recordings my vote would go to the Lindsay Quartet. In vintage stereo try the Quartetto Italiano or the Vegh - or if you can cope with mono sound, the classic accounts from the Busch Quartet are wonderful. 
    Thanks for that. Maybe I'll try the TSQ or the Lindsay.

It's nice to know that there's no such thing as a dead thread.