Recommendations: John Coltrane

edited December 2010 in Jazz
Giant Steps - this is where Coltrane first gets his own voice properly together

Africa Brass - so much energy and joy. Points to what was to come

A Love Supreme - my single favourite piece of music, by the Coltrane Quartet at the absolute height of its powers

Interstellar Space - his last masterpiece. On the face of it, difficult and avant-garde duets with drummer Rashied Ali, but it's almost as if Coltrane is summarising everything he'd discovered about playing the saxophone, shortly before he died. Not the place to start 
;-)

Comments

• Africa is a particular favourite round here.

I also really like Favourite Things and Coltrane's version/cover of Summertime - moodier than Pepper's contemplative cover.  Almost as if Coltrane didn't like summer.
  • I was just sitting thinking that I don't think I can call any piece of music my absolute ever favourite - there's too many that I love and adore.
  • I've been playing Giant Steps this afternoon.  It's been a while since I sat and listened to it properly.

As you say Dave it's where he begins to be himself.  You can hear little bits of what was to come.  And not just by Coltrane.  Chambers is allowed the freedom to move around a bit which IMV is the mark of a good "leader". 

Cobbs and Chambers on Naima are magic.

Giant Steps indeed.
  • edited May 2011
    Just a heads up for ya'll. Mike Watt, king of the thudstaff (bass) and all round righteous dude has a internet streaming radio show which has been going for 10 years (you can also download the whole 3 hour shows as a MP3s if you fancy too).

Watt starts every show with a Coltrane track! If there is a better way to start a show i don't know it! It not a Jazz music program, he plays all sorts and interviews some wonderful artists, talks about life and stuff,  Its a great program IMO especially if you have a wide taste in music. http://twfps.com/

Back to John Coltrane, i know nothing really about the technicalities of music, but when i hear Coltrane i can tell he's on a whole other level.
    The impulse! box set are a good place to start.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Impulse-Albums-Two-John-Coltrane/dp/B0013XZNA0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305403706&sr=8-1-spell

• Giant steps for me.
  • blue train was the first jazz lp i ever bought, , nice tip on the box set, must have!