Disguised Mingus

edited March 2011 in Other stuff

I've recently started working on a series of paintings based on musicians. This lot are somewhat abstracted, and in no way meant as representational portraits.

Just wondering what people in the real world (outside the art dpt) think...

Apologies for the photo quality. May be that's the next evening class.

Comments

• really like it ! I'd be very happy with one on my living room wall .......
  • Thanks. That's kind of you.
    I want to make the next one more subdued. Perhaps using just different shades of blue...?
  • Kind of Blue?  :-D
  • He he he.
    :-)
  • Nearing completion of the latest one (since the photo below, I have made the fingers of the left hand look less like sausages). It's of a friend of mine, to whom I'm giving the painting.
    I'm quite happy with the results but am getting a bit bored of the style.
  • FWIW, I like it more than the Mingus. It's more human.

Who is the sax player?
  • edited April 2011
    He's a friend of mine called Oli. A very fine musician with whom I played in the 90s. He plays in a few jazz groups in London these days.
    Lovely guy.
  • nice, really like them both, if all my funds werent tied up with various projects i would be asking for a price, be real nice to have a series of them in a minimalist listening room,
    please do post any more you do,
    regards and respect !!
    matt

• Are these paintings for sale Doc?
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks for the positive comments guys. Very kind and encouraging! :-)
    The sax one I'm giving to the friend who's the subject of the painting, although it's getting a bit of exposure at an exhibition at Stroud college at the end of the month. :-)
    The bass one is currently hanging in my living room. I feel more attached to it than most of my paintings as I try to play bass myself, so I'm reluctant to sell that particular one - Also I think I've improved my technique in that particular style since that first one, so future ones should be better.
    I am happy to paint more in that style - The idea that someone else would get pleasure from my efforts is very gratifying.
    What sort of sizes would people be interested in? The ones above are 100x50cm, but smaller canvases would be doable.
    Also what instruments would be of interest? I'm reluctant to paint to too prescriptive an order, but I'm happy to paint around someone's interest in a particular style of music, instrument, etc.,...
    Any thoughts? No obligation to buy if you don't fancy what I produce as I enjoy painting anyway.
    Price would depend a bit on the size (materials and time), but for the 100x50cm oil on canvas the cost would probably be around £120.
    I live in Gloucester. Not sure if sending them through the post would be advisable...?
    Thanks again for the interest, it is on it's own genuinely encouraging.
    Ben
  • And they said genius is only recognized after death....
    8-X
  • I've lost a bit of weight recently...
    Might that count?
    ;-)