Hello Everyone.

edited June 2011 in Say hello
I have come here from elsewhere to have a look around! I am currently using FLAC on a HDD via a WDTV Live media streamer through a Temple Audi Bantam into DIY Fostex speakers. I am now listening to more music than ever via this medium due to the convenience and what I consider to be very high quality. I am not really one for tweaks but then some are and that is up to them. I prefer to listen to music rather than analyse everything minutely.
Hi anyway, my name is Steve.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Hi Steve

Please make yourself at home. Looks like you're one of the growing group of people who are listening via a system that's not rooted in older hi-fi systems. It's a very interesting development.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Cheers

Dave
  • edited June 2011
    Hi Dave. I have been through many stages of hifi from vinyl and CD, valves and SS with factory and DIY speakers of all types. I know some people think 'computer' audio is no good, but I beg to differ. I now listen to more music, and more varied types of music than ever before. Currently, thaks to myself and others, I have 1.8 TB of FLAC files so I suppose that equates to about 4500 CD's? I have never counted them. Anyway, now I can listen to Jazz if I like where before I would not have since I thought I would dislike most of it but now I can listen to a bit every now and then if you get me?

As for which types of music, well that is a toughy as it is most types really, folk, prog, rock, some bluegrass type stuff, new or old etc. I do particularly like artists such as Cara Dillon, Leonard Cohen, Lorrena Mckennett as well as rock like Floyd, early Genesis and Rush plus others like Barclay James Harvest and Rory Gallagher, stuff like that.

HTH Steve
  • Well, I'm 100% computer audio and have been for a couple of years or more. I'm with you on how good it is.

I'm basically a jazz fan, so maybe I'm the yin to your yang :-)
  • Hi Steve - welcome to 'here'!

Nice choice of musical preferences, I enjoy much of the same kind of music.

I was listening to Radio2 today - they had some feature packed day with live performances - and I heard 'Imagined village' for the first time. Do you know them? I going to be buying some of their records methinks.

They seem to be some kind of world-folk super group, very interesting.

http://www.imaginedvillage.com/
  • edited June 2011
    Hi Alan. Yes Imagined Village are good, a collective of musicians really. If you like them you may also like Villagers, and also The Low Anthem - both of whom I will be seeing on Saturday with Fleet Foxes, all in the same evening. also check out artists like Marissa Nadler for something a little more relaxed, and also Midlake, another favourite.

Steve
  • edited June 2011
    Well, I'm 100% computer audio and have been for a couple of years or more. I'm with you on how good it is.

I'm basically a jazz fan, so maybe I'm the yin to your yang :-)

Nothing wrong with Jazz, as long as I can't hear it!

Just kidding. what I was getting at was that now I can sample a bit of jazz where as before I would not have bothered and so may have missed out. I am in no position to insult anybody's taste in music I can assure you of that!

Steve

:))
  • welcome Steve,
     if like me you got a bit sick of the overly confrontational nature of some forums out there then you will enjoy this little corner of the www,
    all the best,
    matt
  • Thanks Matt. I am no stranger to controversy on other other forums though but best leave it there...

I am amemebr of several forums, some of which I am more active in than others. I will lay my cards on the table now and declare that I am 'mostly' a cable non believer, that is, I have never heard a differnce myself, and yes, I have tried but that doesn't mean I think others cannot tell the difference so I will not say it is nonsense. I will draw the line at some of the peter belt type silliness though!. In light of that, I will steer clear of anything that looks contentious on this forum I promise.

:-)
  • Thanks Matt. I am no stranger to controversy on other other forums though but best leave it there...

I am amemebr of several forums, some of which I am more active in than others. I will lay my cards on the table now and declare that I am 'mostly' a cable non believer, that is, I have never heard a differnce myself, and yes, I have tried but that doesn't mean I think others cannot tell the difference so I will not say it is nonsense. I will draw the line at some of the peter belt type silliness though!. In light of that, I will steer clear of anything that looks contentious on this forum I promise.

:-)

hi again ,
     so far i have found this forum to be great, all opinions count as long as you don't get silly about it and show respect to other opinion, i am sure you will find lots of conflict but its never aggressive as far as i have seen, lots of humour and open minded music lovers , i really hope it stays that way, well done chews!!
    best regards,
    matt

• Join in by all means - just don't make it contentious. We don't mind what you believe....
    (:| ;))
  • Nice comments Matt - lets help it to grow. You all make it what it is.
  • Thanks Alan.

Steve
  • System pics please :D
  • Hi from an old newbie - trying to revive a dead system with no money .

Like  female vocal , Opera , kitsch pop , classical , nothing heavy except the 1812 etc .

XY but can't answer the Guy or Girl question -  mildly autistic - 4 going on 64 in an out of phase world .

Likes sameness , continuity and constancy - helped by many familiar LPs .
    Having my Pink Triangle rebuilt as a favour by Arthur , now of Funk , with no system capable of doing justice to it ! Offered a MusicMaker really cheap by Leonard Gregory for my Funk F.XR arm - hope I can afford it !

Love my 1980 RCL Small Loudspeaker which thrives on being thrashed !

Just hanging out here if that's OK .

' dee ' 

• Of course you're welcome to hang out here, Dee. Just make sure you chip in now and again, huh? :-)

Good luck with your system!