Active all the way

edited May 2011 in Loudspeakers

ADAM audio Tensor Deltas:

Comments

• how do i post pics on here??
  • stick you photos on flikr or the like then get the link from the site and use the photo icon above the edit window to add that link.
  • I use photobucket though??
  • edited May 2011
    Raj - see my reply to your post in 'show us your kit'. P'Bucket is fine.
    :-D

I hope it works, I can't help you any more right now as I'm off out for a Cream Tea!
    =P~
  • edited May 2011

Stands in productionimage

• Smart room Raj, wouldn't you be better off with a pair of ATC's though!
    very best,Keith.
  • edited May 2011
    Now now Keith, you know how i feel about my new toys..... These make my 50ASL's sound dull and boxed in. Have you heard the ADAM Tensor range yet? i know House of Linn in Manchester have also started stocking them....
  • Raj Hi, never heard them here, They always have a large room in Munich, I have listened to the Olympos,Multi towers jobbies, I am not a great fan of ATC so no need to convince me!
    vb Keith.
  • edited May 2011

What'dya
    make of the OSS then, apparently The Prodigy use two pairs of them when
    mixing/mastering and experimenting with new music

• Once you have heard decent horns everything (everything) sounds HiFi, why does podgy d need two pairs
    Keith.
  • Have you heard there music ...... they're deaf :D
  • edited May 2011

Anyway, back to my system; It's been a long road to such a simple solution. Now that streaming is the norm, the standard seems to be simplified these days - this is as simple as it get IMO.

A 500GB ATV which plays directly into the Lavry DA11, then a balanced out connection to the Deltas.

Cables are; Lifatec 470 strand glass TOS/TOS, and VanDamme StarQuad silver plated OFC. The speakers use some fancy IEC lead that came with them, the rest i've made myself from 2.5mm and 4mm flex using 15A schurter IEC and MK toughplugs. Theres a twin MK socket behind each speaker, each has its own dedicated 6mm 32amp radial supply from a dedicated CU.

• So, what are the speakers in full, Raj?
  • edited May 2011

They're a complicated design. Heils Motion Transducers for HF and MF, 9" kevlar bass driver. Spec is like nothing else. The cabinets are twin skin with sand between and the front baffle is 35mm aluminium honeycomb: All hand crafted in Germany.

Woofer

Number 1
    Basket Ø 9" (228 mm)
    Cone material HexaCone

Midrange

Number 1
    Type X-ART
    Velocity transform ratio 3.5:1
    Diaphragm weight 0.7 g

Tweeter

Number 1
    Type X-ART
    Velocity transform ratio 4:1
    Diaphragm weight 0.17 g

Built-in Amplifiers

Woofer 1
    Type PWM
    Amp. power RMS / music 200 W / 300 W

Midrange 1

Type PWM
    Amp. power RMS / music 200 W / 300 W

Tweeter 1

Type A/B
    Amp. power RMS / music 50 W / 100 W

Control panel

EQ 80 Hz ±6 dB

General data

Frequency response 32 Hz - 50 kHz
    Crossover frequencies 800 / 2800 Hz
    Input impedance 10 KOhm
    Weight 63.9 lb (29 kg)
    Height x Width x Depth 22" (560 mm) x 13" (335 mm) x 13.5" (340 mm)
    Warranty 5 Years

• Wow! Can I ask how much these things cost?
  • edited May 2011

Yes they're on the pricey side: £8400. These replaced some ATC SCM 50-ASL's i bought new back in December 2009.

My old system was: 500GB AppleTV/ BMM DAC1-HDR/ SCM-50ASL's

My new system is: 500GB AppleTV/ Lavry DA11/ ADAM Tensor Delta's

The ADAM range with prices can be found at Jordan Acoustics.

• edited May 2011
    I was going to say that's a lot of money, but it's almost the same as the list pricing of my TDSs and Royds.

The Apple TV is an interesting choice of server, too. Does that mean you're using iTunes for playback?
  • edited May 2011

It's not a great deal when you look at the construction and spec, in fact I doubt I
    could buy the equivalent quality 6 mono blocks, 2 3-way active x-overs and a
    pair of 3 way passive standmounts for £10K. Then there’s all the cables and
    racks needed etc!

On the digital side; I don’t need to use iTunes for playback. The ATV uses it own
    OS. It works like this:

ATV has a 500GB HDD I
    rip music in iTunes on a dedicated laptop which has an internal 2.5" 1TB
    HDD.

This is sync'd (copied over) with the ATV as you would with an iPod/iPad.

This
    means I don't actually stream across a network but play direct from the ATV
    which is controlled by an iPod Touch with remote app.

The laptop isn’t needed for playback so is put away once new music's sync'd over to
    the ATV. I also have a 1.5TB USB HDD which the laptop is backed up to too.
    Which means I have 3 copies of my music, 1 'live' version on the ATV, 1
    'library' copy in the laptop and 1 'backup' copy which I keep in a safe
    place...

The only limitation at the time was the 500GB HDD, I have 1000's of albums so I've
    created a playlist in iTunes which holds 1200 ALAC albums, the rest I can
    stream from the laptop to the ATV if I want to or just alter the playlist. Now
    large 2.5"HDD's are common place (some are 1.5TB now!) I may either have
    the ATV modded or sell it and buy a McMini. Either way I'll stick a 1TB drive
    in either next.

The only dilemma is the hi-res files which I have very little of. The ATV only
    outputs at, or down samples everything to 16/44.1 when syncing. I’ve tried a
    few of my 24/96 files back to back with laptop>USB>DA11 and
    ATV>optical>DA11 and to my ears they sound identical so it worth faffing
    about, I don’t know....

• The apple TV has it's own OS? That's news to me Raj - is there any benefit to using other playback software or would there be compatibility issues?

There are significant differences between some 'bit perfect' players (yes - I know it's just 1's & 0's...) on Apple MAC Minis & some of the LapTops I believe, but perhaps the ATV is decent enough by itself?
  • edited May 2011
    IT runs OS 3.0.2. which is a stripped back Apple OSX. It only keeps what is need for Media playing and streaming, has Frontrow etc etc. Has its own CPU and RAM too! its basically a stipped back Mini :) it can be easily hacked too. I use mine in standard apple format as i found this to be more stable. 
  • Tres cool!
    I doubt much would be compatible anyhow, but it seems a decent approach to take by Apple.
    B-)
  • edited May 2011
    Theres nothing to be gained by using another player software, it plays bit perfect and has been measured to do so. So the only dilemma is do i need to go hi-res and try the likes of Pure Music etc....
  • edited May 2011
    If they (pure music/amarra etc) are compatible I guess you might try the free trial period.

I like Decibel, which itself is a small stripped out player. I start iTunes & Decibel together & Drag'nDrop albums into Decibel. It sounds significantly better than iTunes imo, and that's almost all playing standard redbook rips. It'll do any resolution though, I even tried 352khz & it was fine.

It has a free trial period, but the actual full license is under £30! I do not know if will be compatible though - it requires a 64bit MAC (not necessarily a 64 bit O/S  32bit is fine).
  • edited May 2011

It’s not possible to load programs on the ATV is kind of a closed OS so only plays media and that’s it!

When its hacked it’s possible to upload programs on it but it gets messy. File integrity is more important IMO

• I agree - KISS.

Most these differences are probably in our heads anyway!!
    :O
  • I agree but for some reason i don't hear these thing, i must be one of the lucky ones :D i prefer to buy music than hifi. I have way way to much money and time invested in my music collection. I have 1000's of vinyl too. All in all i must have 4-5000 albums here, in London and LA with friends who also enjoy the hobby.

• I hope my system never costs more than a third my music collection cost me, it's one of my rules :)

• Theres nothing to be gained by using another player software, it plays bit perfect and has been measured to do so. So the only dilemma is do i need to go hi-res and try the likes of Pure Music etc....
    Bit-perfect is only part of the story.

Try iTunes against Decibel, Pure Music or Audirvana, say. They're all bit-perfect, but all sound remarkably different. 
  • Raj.....the Tensor Epsilon's that were on fleabay proved too much of a temptation for me so Ive bought them :-D Really looking forward to hearing them in my system. Been using Genelec 8040a's for the last few weeks and I can't get on with them. Rear porting creates a big problem in my room. The metal dome tweeter also sounds slightly hard and edgy to my ears.

James
  • Excellent James, Hope you like'um. My Deltas took me by suprise at first, then realised theres things i just didn't hear properly before.

• The Epsilon's are superb. Far superior to my Genelecs - less bloated bass and sweeter treble being the main points. I always felt the Genelecs metal tweeter
    sounded unrealistic. Maybe the Adam's tweeter design is more forgiving. Either way I can't see me changing from these speakers for a long time.

At the same time I bought a four year old Audio Note M1 line preamp. Too early to
    comment on how this compares to the Lightspeed. Always wanted to own an Audio Note pre.....if only to see why people rave about them.....even if the M1 is near the bottom of the range.
  • edited June 2011

The Tensor range are quite special, the attention to detail both physically and audibly is second to none.

What stands are you using?

Post some pics too :D

• They are sitting on crappy bookshelves at the moment. I need to jig my room around a bit so that I can put them on stands. It's clear that I need to sort out the acoustics in my listening room next - too many reflective surfaces + suspended wooden floor + resting speakers on bookshelves does not make for optimal sound reproduction. Having said that the bulletproof cabinet construction and front porting means they sound much better than my Genelecs did in the same location......and Oh that tweeter sounds sooo good :-D
  • edited June 2011

I've found VanDamme StarQuad Cables to be an excellent match, got these from eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380243923952

You should be able to find some stands to fit but if you find it difficult let me know i could have a smaller and taller version of mine made for you too.

• I'm using RCA to XLR adaptors with Mark Grant cables at the moment.
  • edited June 2011
    First attempt at uploading a photo from Flickr....let's see if this works.....

And here's a pic to show just how massive the M1 is compared to the Lightspeed!

Apologies for the crappy pics.
  • edited June 2011

Nice Pics, those Epsilons are handsome looking things. Wait till you get them on some proper stands with a bit of space around them. The imaging is almost spooky, I've had quite a few people thinking sounds are coming from outside the house........ till i press mute and the smile on their faces says it all :)

• These are the stands I'm having built:image

• Beautiful room Spacey. I have heard some Adam Actives when I was at Hamish's house last year and they were fab. I built some OB's using 2 X15" eminence alphas and a Visaton B300 each side and powered them actively with a four channel Tripath amp from sure electronics via a Rane AC22B active crossover and was very pleased with the results. My ambition is to build a set of DIY cabs for Tannoy MG's and power them actively via perhaps a miniDSP set up.

Steve
  • Cheers Steve. Have you posed pics of your system yet?

PS, Moving again soon........