My Eva's gone wrong :-(

edited May 2011 in Amplifiers
Thankfully, the amp problem I mentioned over on the NVA SSP thread doesn't seem to be the NVA TDSs, but the Eva.

One of the channels has dropped in level and seems also to have lost some of its low-end extension. I hope that doesn't mean posting the damned thing back to Malaysia :-(

But first, I'll have a look at taking it apart, just in case it's something obvious.

Comments

• What a pain! There was a thread on wigwam iirc where an eva went wrong ( it might have been jerrys) and had to be sorted.
  • BTW if you are all RCA'd up now I have a standard P90 you can borrow during repairs.
  • Thanks Alan. I'll see if I can track down that 'wam thread.

I may take you up on the P90, because the Statement Pre isn't stackable - connections and controls on the top, as you may recall - and I've run out of shelf space, what with Young and PSU and stuff.
  • Was this the thread?
  • No, that's not it. It contained much hilarity at the designers name, mr Kok. I'll see if I can jog my memory when I get back. Perhaps it was contained in the big thread that discussed th Eva in general.
  • Thanks, oh reader of fora.
  • http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?28350-Living-with-a-LDR-preamp&highlight=EVA+LDR

Post 190 on. It isn't the same fault as you have though, but it seems that the makers are very responsive. Try the 're-setting' tip.

I hope it helps!
    :-(
  • Looks worth a go.

Thanks for that.

Otherwise I'll e-mail Mr Kok.
  • Well, I've taken the Eva apart and pushed everything home and looked at all the soldering, and everything looks hunky dory to me. I've also switched the thing on and off, and played with the remote. All to no avail.

Time to see what Mr Kok says, I think.
  • Mr Kok says send Eva back for him to have a look at.

Any recommendations for sending a small box to Malaysia, folks?
  • Interparcel.com - My first choice.

Parcel2go

ParcelFarce

Eva is small & light - if you pack her in loads of light stuff like polystyrene balls or even rolled up newspaper & then double box it, you should be fine.
  • Thank you Maestro.

Shall have a look at Interparcel.com.
  • That nice man @Alan has lent me his NVA P90 Passive, so Eva'll be off to the Far East RSN.
  • I was robbed in the street!
  • He consented!
  • Your punishment will be to never settle in your listening position as you will be forever getting up to slightly adjust the balance with those dual volume pots!

:p
  • edited May 2011
    Hi Ugly, you might want to try taking the top off the EVA and poking the microchips inside with a plastic pen or pencil rubber!
  • @muz690 ;  How come '690 now?

Welcome BTW, did you move on those tempting Magnums yet?
  • Hi Ugly, you might want to try taking the top off the EVA and poking the microchips inside with a plastic pen or pencil rubber!
    Hi @muz690

That has been tried, to no avail :-(
  • Just a quick update. Everything is working as it should do with the P90, so it's definitely the Eva at fault.

Now to get it into a box and off to Mr Kok for him to wave his magic wand over it.
  • It's amazing how much better a system sounds with both channels working properly :-)
  • Hi Ugly, you might want to try taking the top off the EVA and poking the microchips inside with a plastic pen or pencil rubber!
    Hi @muz690

Bugger, this sorted mine,  i feel the design of them is 'fragile' to say the least!
    @muz690 ;  How come '690 now?

Welcome BTW, did you move on those tempting Magnums yet?
    I've gone up in capacity a whole 50cc Alan! ;)

Amps are still here, be good little combo for someone, I'll have to put them on ebay.
    Hi @muz690

Bugger, this sorted mine,  i feel the design of them is 'fragile' to say the least!

It's disappointing that something with no moving parts is so pernickety (sp?).
  • edited June 2011
    My Eva finally made its way back from Malaysia today, after FedEx completely ballsed up delivering it at this end, and added two weeks to the itinerary.

Anyway, it's back in the system and sounding different from Alan's NVA P90. At first, not as good, but either as it has burned in a little or I've got used to its presentation, I like it more. It has more welly.

And, of course, with the remote, it wins hands-down.

Alan - thanks for the loan. We need to set up a time for me to get it back to you.
  • I love it when a plan comes together......can we get a cigar smoking smilie?
  • edited June 2011
    I pity th'Fool! I ain't gettin' on no damn plane....

Sorry for the low-brow quotes, Star trek is, of course, still better.
  • Sorry. I should have posted that Mr Kok said one of the diodes had burnt out.
  • That sentence made me wince.
  • You're such a tender soul, Mr B...
  • Perhaps it is the added context of Mr T shouting "get some nuts!" that did it, along with Mr Kok and the burned out diode.
  • But at least Mr Kok waved his magic wand over Eva and all was well ;-)