HDTracks discount - another code!

edited July 2011 in New Releases
See bottom of page for latest offer.

OK, not really news as they do this from time to time, and HD Tracks aren't always quite what we might like in terms of being transparent over their quality, but they have a two day sale on. 15% off your order when you enter the code: summer15. I feel an itch to scratch!

Now, I plan on getting the Allsion Krauss/Union Station's new album, which I was pleased to see there. Here's hoping it has some benefit over the straight CD....

I also want the Allman bros - Live at Fillmore East, which I have read good things about.

Is it worth getting Ornette Coleman's 'Something Else!!!' and Thelonious monk's 'Thelonious alone in San Francisco'? All thoughts gratefully received, before being discarded as I do as I please!

>:P :))

Comments

• OK, not really news as they do this from time to time, and HD Tracks aren't always quite what we might like in terms of being transparent over their quality, but they have a two day sale on. 15% off your order when you enter the code: summer15. I feel an itch to scratch!

Now, I plan on getting the Allsion Krauss/Union Station's new album, which I was pleased to see there. Here's hoping it has some benefit over the straight CD....

I also want the Allman bros - Live at Fillmore East, which I have read good things about.

Is it worth getting Ornette Coleman's 'Something Else!!!' and Thelonious monk's 'Thelonious alone in San Francisco'? All thoughts gratefully received, before being discarded as I do as I please!

>:P :))
    Funnily enough, I was about to mention the sale and the Alison Krauss.

The Ornette is well worth having, but I only have a plain ole CD. The Monk is always turning up on 'best of' lists, but I happen to prefer him with a band.
  • 'Tis done, just over a tenner per album. That's sickeningly close to 'full price' in my book, being an Amazon marketplace scavenger....
    >-)
  • Doh! Just brought Paul Simon's latest the other day... I'll just have to buy something else now.... :)
  • Wot's that like then? I think everyone was expecting another graceland, which must be a hiding to nothing...I like his quiet air and thoughtfulness, so my finger keeps hovering over the buy button.
  • I just bought a couple of Charles Lloyds and a Tony Malaby.

Suppose I ought to get back to work while they download.
  • Thanks Alan.
    Picked up my first HD tracks, and at a discount!
    An Ella & Louis 96/24 album. One of my favourites.
    The HD version does louis' vocals proud. From memory, better than the vinyl and ripped CD versions. But I'm enjoying it too much to do any direct comparisons.
  • I've got that too Ben, but I haven't played it yet. Do let me know how it compares to the vinyl master when you get a chance, vinyl should be the gold standard for this recording.
  • I've got that too Ben, but I haven't played it yet. Do let me know how it compares to the vinyl master when you get a chance, vinyl should be the gold standard for this recording.
    Possibly. If the medium was the only variable.
  • Ooops.

My mistake. I have 'Ella and Louis' on CD, but the LP I have is their 'Porgy and Bess' recording. The HD download used the same painting of the 2 of them together as does the 'Porgy and Bess' LP. This combined with my brain to produce the confusion.
    :-S
    Both albums are very good, musically and in terms of sound quality, but obviously I can't compare the sound quality of 2 different albums as closely as I was hoping to.

In any event, I can report that the quality of the HD download of 'Ella and Louis' download is remarkable. The reproduction of Louis' voice especially is wonderful - dynamic, vibrant and clear. Ellla's voice isn't as much improved over the ripped CD (but still utterly bewitching). May be old Sachmo had a better microphone or something...
  • Nice Ben!

HD Tracks newsletter has just arrived here, another 15% off, this time all on Warner downloads, which seems quite a good first selection. This is apparently the first time such titles as Buena Vista Social Club, Tutu, Chicago & Hotel California have been available in 24/192.
  • Shall have a look. Haven't noticed my newsletter, though.
  • I should have included the promo code for the Warner titles - here 'tis.

15% off any Warner Music Group titles. Enter promo code warner15

Simply use code warner15 at checkout to receive 15% off. This one–time use code expires July 5th, 2011 at 11:59 PM PST. Thank you.

• Thanks Alan.