HiFi Wigwam is no more!

edited July 2011 in Other stuff
It seems the owner (or mod) of The 'Wam has shut it down. Not sure whether it's temporary or permanent.
Great shame, as I enjoyed the views & the humour over there.
Maybe there'll be a few more migrating over to here now?
If the main Wammer (James, is it?) reads here, just to say thanks for your efforts. I'll miss that place!
Matt.

Comments

• That is a great shame. What am I going to do at work now? Work?!

I can entirely understand why James decided to shut it down though. For all the passionate debate it is only hi-fi....some things are more important.

James
  • edited July 2011
    There's info here:
    http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6330/wamclosed.jpg

I have every sympathy with the guy, as some others appear to. But he seems to be getting a rough ride for his decision from some posters on some forums.
    I find it endlessly frustrating that some people seem to find it a challenge to appreciate the cosequential nature of actions. Righteous rudeness is unpleasant and has all sorts of consequences. From james' statement these have taken their toll. I don't know him at all, but wish him all the best with his future happiness.
    Hopefully, if James decision is final, we can continue here to protect this forum and the vast majority of our respectful members from the kinds of hassles that have led directly to James decision.
  • Agreed.
  • That's so sad to hear that James has been forced into closing the Wam. I don't know the guy, but I really sympathise with him.

There's something nice about Chews at its current stage, where it doesn't take up huge amounts of time, but if it did and the same things happened, I'd be almost certain to be pushing for Chews to close. But that won't stop us welcoming anyone who wants to join and abide by our rules.

So far we've only had to ban one person, so we do seem to be able to communicate our message, by and large, before people join.
  • Dave,
    I would urge you to ban anyone who becomes a problem. We can do without the hassles of entrenched rudeness!
  • You and Alan have exactly the same rights and responsibilities as I have.
  • You watch yo ass big man....
    B-)
  • I was reading about a decision by James to apply swear filters in order to "get google advertising off his back" in the off topic room. He wasn't present for much of the discussion but it got very strong. The 'paid up' wammers objected in the strongest possible terms to having their 'freeness of speech' curtailed and threatened boycott.

Personally I see parallels to another situation involving such 'principles' and their skewed application, so I too feel for James.
  • I rarely write here on audiochews and was an even less frequent contributor to the Wam. BUT I read plenty and learned a little or sometimes a lot. I am really sorry to have witnessed the demise of the site and can only hope that James, at some point, reconsiders but who can blame him for not doing so?:-S

I sincerely hope that the ones who caused the trouble - the belligerent, the self-opinionated, the humourless and the litigious - don't make their way over here. From my perspective this place will be all the better without them. On the other hand there are some really good people with a wealth of experience of kit and music who could add richly to this site.

I wish you all the best in differentiating between them. Do Alan and uglymusic etc have the wisdom of Job? It will be needed.   
  • Nope - no wisdom at all tbh!

WigWam was a product of the people that posted there - it had an unfortunate tendency towards bullying intolerance but that was balanced by fairly wicked humour. It wasn't always pleasant but often it was informative and vibrant.

I should say that I personally owe an awful lot to the collective wisdom and the personalities (and their disorders) on the 'wam. My choice of kit, what I have learned & been taught all started from there, the first forum I came across.

As regards this place.it is similar to the 'wam in that it is you guys - the membership will make it work or otherwise. We hope for & actively pursue the goal of tolerance & respect so that free speech can remain free, which is the only agenda we have.

So long as keep getting nice members like you lot we won't really be needed.

• A forum is what the owner allow the members to make it.
    But whatever happened over at wigwam, it does usefully illustrate the very real point that the forum is in some sense the property of the owner. He is at liberty to do with it as he wishes.
    From what I'm reading, some members at Wigwan seem to have forgotten this at their peril.
    At the same time, i'm sure many wam members were respectful of James and his house rules. It's a real shame for them that the party's been closed because of the behaviour of a minority.
  • We can't - and won't - let the trolls win.

There is always the James gambit ;-)
  • I don't think the Wam was intolerant, they just didn't suffer fools, they never asked you to leave because of your opinions, they just mercilessly took the P. Two very different propositions.
  • Si, thats a matter of degree isn't it? Please dont take what I said as a criticism of the 'Wam, it was meant a statement without agenda.

As one of the 'fools' that wouldn't be suffered gladly I would always hesitate to ask certain questions over there. In the sense that many core posters had found 'the light' and were intolerant of the unenlightened exploring what is and is not reasonable for themselves the 'Wam was sometimes unwelcoming to those not in the right clique. You must understand that to some the place felt adversarial in the extreme.

in case I am misunderstood as a 'Wam basher, I want to say I still posted regularly over there, and as I said I both learned and owed the community there a lot. I sincerely hope it can be restarted, and FWIW I hope that if it does James gets a bit more respect.
  • Well, page 16/17 or so of the PFM thread sees James hinting of the prospect oflight at the end of tunnel. Heres hoping a solution is do-able, as the 'Wam is far to good to die.
  • Sorry guys can't understand what all the fuss is about - nobody died it's just a forum for big boys and their toys !!!

Personally I used it only for the classifieds and have no time or interest for all the playground politics and schoolboy bullies.

Yes Alan it seems like the headmaster James is having second thoughts and in reality it is too big to disappear totally. I suspect some form of phoenix will arise form the ashes.

• Alan, when I said 'you' i didn't actually mean you personally. 
  • Si, I didnt take it so. What I probably did take personally in the past was the way I felt about the treatment the 'Wam meted out, sometimes to me, and more often in 'there, but for the grace of God, go I' moments.

• Yup. That's about why I never got into the Wam.
  • WigWam will re-open, it is confirmed from the horses mouth. There will apparently be changes, some new mods and a happier site owner (who is hurriedly copywriting the name the brand 'HiFiWigWam' because some sicko has set up a seriously nasty hijack site this afternoon).

This is good news alround, although I may never fit in as a full fledged Wammer (I am too nice) there is a strong community that has amassed a wealth of knowledge.
  • That is good news.
    It was never quite my cup of tea but many people clearly loved it.
    The Pie Show was excellent so lets hope that continues.
  • Can I be cynical again? Can I? Can I? 

James has thrown his toys out of the pram and has got his own way and a load of word-of-mouth publicity to boot.

Good luck to him and Wam II.
  • Oooh it's not good for you Dave! So unbecoming!

I don't doubt his utter frustration and genuine intention to shut it down. As a person I feel for him because of the abuse he got recently, and I imagine running a big forum is fairly thankless (unlike a nice little one). But as a forum owner, I don't approve always of what he presides over, but the 'Wan has grown organically and the membership want it to continue. I'm glad they got their way.

I think the whole thing may have be quite embarrassing for James, perhaps cathartic by the end of it.
  • Oooh it's not good for you Dave! So unbecoming!

I couldn't possibly comment  b-(
  • Can I be cynical again? Can I? Can I? 

James has thrown his toys out of the pram and has got his own way and a load of word-of-mouth publicity to boot.

Good luck to him and Wam II.
    Could be, but seems a bit drastic to me.
    More likely just shear build up of frustration and something had to give.
  • Well I found the site full of rude and ignorant people, and James was not at all a nice chap.
    So I am glad it has gone, rudeness is not required, for that we could all watch "Deadenders"
    I am sorry other like the site but the man allowed rudeness and the e-mails I got from him was just a reflection of his character. One of his comments was concerning cutting people up with a Stanley Knife if they did not stop e-mailing him or disagreed with him.
    It not a shame we should get some of the good guy here now. 
  • The old saying "It's hifi FFS" is sadly completely wrong in a lot of cases.

It's really all about status and prestige. Even people who sell hifi can't care enough about what other people think about hifi to behave in these ways. But people care very much indeed about what others think about them relative to others.

I think this forum is attempting to aspire to taking the personal and the political out of the hifi discussion. We are all equal here brothers.

Leave your egos at the login desk.

Emoticons >:D<