Evening classes: digital audio theory

edited July 2011 in Digital
I spent rather too much of yesterday evening catching up on posts on Computer Audiophile, realising I didn't have the theoretical knowledge to judge the BS-level of the replies.

Once again, I feel I must get to grips with the theory of digital audio playback, DAC design and so on. Does anyone have any suggestions for books and/or web sites that might let me in gently?

Comments

• Not really. it's relatively simple to tell what's what and what's not on Computer Audiophile however.

If someone from the U.S, involved in the sales of equipment is writing, and if it isn't Gordon Holt or Charles Hansen then you can pretty much be sure it's 100% bullshit.  If it is them and it's not Gordon talking about cables then there's a good chance it's actually true.

Despite their coding skills the software guys are generally full of shit. I've never seen one listening test of any validity from anyone promoting 'this weeks best music player'.

Barrows knows his stuff and a couple of the other guys do as well. 

There is a distinct U.S. and advertisers bias in the editorial over there.
  • Dave, a good all purpose book is Doug Self's Small Signal Audio Design. Deals with digital/analogue interface which is where the problems arise for the end user.
    Another good source of information would be manufacturer data sheets and publications. National Semi have lots of stuff out there.

You could also try Hydrogen Audio which at least analyses the theory with perception tests, and has a focus on digital audio,
  • Not really. it's relatively simple to tell what's what and what's not on Computer Audiophile however.

If someone from the U.S, involved in the sales of equipment is writing, and if it isn't Gordon Holt or Charles Hansen then you can pretty much be sure it's 100% bullshit.  If it is them and it's not Gordon talking about cables then there's a good chance it's actually true.

Despite their coding skills the software guys are generally full of shit. I've never seen one listening test of any validity from anyone promoting 'this weeks best music player'.

Barrows knows his stuff and a couple of the other guys do as well. 

There is a distinct U.S. and advertisers bias in the editorial over there.
    Yup. That's the kind of pragmatic approach I've had to use. I really want to see how I can get my brain round the theory rather than make a kind of once-removed judgement.
  • edited July 2011
    Dave, a good all purpose book is Doug Self's Small Signal Audio Design. Deals with digital/analogue interface which is where the problems arise for the end user.
    Another good source of information would be manufacturer data sheets and publications. National Semi have lots of stuff out there.

You could also try Hydrogen Audio which at least analyses the theory with perception tests, and has a focus on digital audio,
    Thanks Rob. I'll have a look at the book in the first place.
  • 2nd for hydrogen audio, the sensible side of digital audio
  • Thanks Simon. I'll investigate that as well.