Bit perfect music software for mac

LeeLee
edited August 2011 in Digital
Hi guys

Over at Computer Audiophile a thread is currently running regarding a new software player for itunes called Bit perfect, works a bit like Pure music in that it uses the itunes interface. Im currently using it and although its a bit buggy at times (the guys who developed it does updates quite regularly) I must admit its quite a decent piece of software and its free !

Here is the link to the thread on CA, within the thread is a link to the web site for the software

Has anyone else tried it yet?

Cheers

Lee

Comments

• edited August 2011
    One to try when I'm back from hold, then.

Thanks for that, Lee.
  • Thanks Lee.  I must say since Lion I've been having some issues with either Remote or PM locking up and preventing me accessing music in the normal iPhone way.  Will check it out.
  • It's 2.99 on the App store I see.  Anyone compared it to other players spec PM?
    Andy
  • Is this the app that runs 'behind' iTunes, so you only interact with iTunes? If so it's a brilliant idea. I'm quite keen to try it out when all gets back to normal.

• OK...well I came home sacked on some loud toons as Mrs Uzi was out and PM locked up again.  So I got fed up and in about 4 seconds had BP downloaded and running.  It took a second for me to realise just how behind it runs ... the interface is simplicity indeed.  It works fine.  I've not done a head to head but first thoughts are it like PM sounds lovely, less bass?  Goodness I don't know, I'm just a half-wit.
    Andy
  • (PS: I will give Rob another shout at PureMusic as he has always provided brilliant support and i'm sure he will again) - I do like the massive array of options that PM gives...but I now also like the complete absence on them in BP...Tart that I am  :X
  • OK...it may be the rather early couple of glasses of red, but BP sounds damned fine in Chez Andy.
  • Well, that might simplify matters then (in more ways than one). Please keep us posted, you tart!

I guess the simpler remote apps for the iTouch & iPhone that are designed solely for iTunes will be adequate as well?
  • yes, the free remote apps work quickly and seamlessly with BP.  Much quicker than PM.
  • PPS:  I like it when you call me a tart.

Chase me!
  • Any more thoughts on BP?
  • Yeh, it does nowt for me, can't hear a difference.
  • Yeh, it does nowt for me, can't hear a difference.
    Can't hear a difference from iTunes? 
  • edited August 2011
    Absolutely, sounds no different to itunes playing back 16/44.1  If anything I thought it sounded a little worse at first. But swapping between them back to back I'm utterly unable to tell which is which.
  • Absolutely, sounds no different to itunes playing back 16/44.1  If anything I thought it sounded a little worse at first. But swapping between them back to back I'm utterly unable to tell which is which.
    That's disappointing. Sorry to hear that.
  • Hi folks.  I don't find this.  I've been using BP for a couple of weeks now, and compared to iTunes it has clear benefit.  This is using standard 16/44 tracks, no fancy business at all, on a Lionised system.  (I've not done a proper comparison to PM as I've been experiencing too many crashes with PM of recent, however I still think PM sounds better than either iTunes or BP.  Just better, more sparkly, sweeter.). BP is worth looking at and trying (and you can do at the price which i guess is how they plant to make some money).
    Andy
  • Of course YMMV, it may well be dac dependant, or USB cable dependant ..
  • Works fine for me and sounds exactly like iTunes, which is great as the latter is perfectly fine when running solo with all effects switched off and volume at max.

The real benefits for me of BitPerfect are on the fly sample rate switching and hog mode.
    Happy to pay £2.99 for that!
  • Works fine for me and sounds exactly like iTunes, which is great as the latter is perfectly fine when running solo with all effects switched off and volume at max.

The real benefits for me of BitPerfect are on the fly sample rate switching and hog mode.
    Happy to pay £2.99 for that!
    I guess £2.99 is fine for on-the-fly switching and hog mode.

Must try it as soon as I have some time.
  • Might have to give this a whirl, tis a PITA dipping into the Midi settings to change sample rate, when I want to play some hi-res tunes and then back again...
  • I think there may be a small improvement on my office system, but haven't yet tried it on the main system.
  • Well, after a bit of listening on the main system, Decibel tramps all over BitPerfect, so I shan't be persevering with it for serious listening. 

However, I do think BitPerfect sounds a little better than iTunes alone, so I'll be continuing to use it on my office system.
  • Yeh Decibel remains my player of choice for serious listening.
  • Had a look at the Decibel website and I'm struggling to see what makes this player better than the alternatives.
    The only significant feature seems to be economic use of system resources such as ram and cpu usage.

Why should that matter on a reasonably modern machine with dual or quad core processors and plenty of ram?

For example, my 2 year old iMac runs at less than 2% cpu utilisation running iTunes and usually has 3 of it's 4g of ram free.

Are there other factors not publicised on the developer site?

• I don't know, Rob (at least, if I've looked into it, I've forgotten what makes Decibel better).

But there must be other factors because Decibel is on my system considerably better than anything else I've tried. The iTunes/BitPerfect thing is marginal, at best, but Decibel is a chalk and cheese comparison.

Have you given Decibel a fair listen?
  • Never tried it  Dave.
    I'll download and have a listen.
  • I hope you like it.

On my three and a half year old White MacBook with slightly tweaked OS X Snow Leopard and SSD, it's very much at home.
  • erm, forgive pls.  I'm going to completely retract my rubbish comments re BP.  I've just re-started PM and it leaves iTunes and BP in dust.  BP still better than iTunes alines but compared to a proper player there's no comparison.  Veils fully lifted etc.  In mitigation I rather think my frustration with PM crashing was ... frustrating me.
    Andy
  • We'll let you change your mind.

But just this once, you'll understand 
    :-D
  • it's funny Dave, that business of thinking one thing, living with it, then going back to the old thing.  I've done it with boxes in the past, i think "different" can initially seem better for me ... it's one of my [many] personality flaws :-)
  • it's funny Dave, that business of thinking one thing, living with it, then going back to the old thing.  I've done it with boxes in the past, i think "different" can initially seem better for me ... it's one of my [many] personality flaws :-)
    Oh dear, I wasn't trying to get that deep :-)

No, I know what you mean. It's frame of mind, music played, time of day etc etc etc. It's so subjective.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to reopen a Subjective vs Objective debate 
    :-"
  • but i want psycho-analysis Dave ...  >:-) [..] L-)
  • Now, just sit down on this bed of nails and I'll see what I can do :-)
  • It's a shame it doesn't compete with the status quo just yet, but I hope it will as it's a really neat idea.

On a related note, I'd like a piece of software that turns my MAC into a pre-amp, and outputs everything through the media player of my choice (which in this situation might not be Decibel as it lacks the dithered digital volume control). I'd be able to have my digital TV/DVD/BlueRay etc feed straight into the MAC, and use the dinky little IR remote to control the volume.
  • Sounds cool.

Not sure the Optical socket on the Mac acts as an input, though :-(
  • Well, it is obvious a serious designer would have to consider the best way to implement the concept and simultaneously make me millions of pounds, but I would offer the following advice to him/her with my blessing:

I do not care about such details! Make it so!

• I do not care about such details! Make it so!
    Sounds like one of my clients  #-O
  • Sounds cool.

Dave, the line input on most macs doubles as the optical input.
    Not on the smaller 13" MBP though and probably not on the Air.
  • Sounds cool.

Dave, the line input on most macs doubles as the optical input.
    Not on the smaller 13" MBP though and probably not on the Air.
    I think I'm right in saying that the optical output is concentric with the 3.5mm jack line output on most Macs. It's certainly the case on the five dotted around here.

What I'm not so sure about is if the output is an input as well.