NVA TFS - Thank you Jason!

edited September 2011 in Digital
It's important to give praise where praise is due. And Jason (NVA TFS creator) is due praise.
When I decided to purchase the NVA TFS I did so for a number of reasons, amongst them...
1. I genuinely loved the product - most importantly its sound, but also the look, Bluray compatibility, software, etc.,,...
2. I know Jason a little and genuinely like and respect him.
3. It felt exciting to be one of the first users of such an innovative product.
4. Jason's 'Early bird' discount scheme for the first few buyers made the TFS an even more attractive proposition.
5. I believed/hoped that Jason would provide excellent post-sales care for a fumbling IT goon like me.

In this post I can confirm that since the purchase, my hopes as expressed in point 5 have been realised. :-)
From the day Jason personally delivered the TFS and set it up I have felt looked after.
E.g. All those little software and hardware 'how do I...?' questions Jason has always been quick to answer.
Recently my TFS' primary unfortunately SSD failed. (Obviously nothing to do with the TFS design or with Jason.)
Jason's response to this has been wonderfully reassuring and effective. He has nurtured me and my TFS through the crisis in double quick time (despite CityLink managing to destroy the 1st replacement SSD that Jason sent), and today my TFS is returned to its former glory.

When one spends quite a lot of money on something as important as musical reproduction equipment it is really gratifying to experience the levels of service and care that Jason provides. It really inspires confidence when someone with my competence levels buys something as potentially baffling as a media PC...!

Most gratifying though is the moment just after your SSD fails and you remember that only last week you made your first ever external back up of your 120GB of Flac CD data...! :-)

Anyhoo, thanks Jason.

Comments

• As you say, credit where it's due. Well done Jason!

Now, where are the transport-only models......
    :-?
  • Somehow Jason has fixed an ASIO glitch on JRiver on the TFS. It used to click and pop so I was never previously able to listen properly to the protocol, and had selected WASAPI event style as the best option in JRiver.
    With ASIO now fixed, I've been spending time with it this week and believe it sounds better. I will give it a bit longer to make sure that it's not just my brain falling into that old trap of confusing sounding a bit different with being actually better.
  • Interesting Ben, as it seems to be generally thought that WASAPI is better on W7, and that ASIO was the previous benchmark (I expect that is a gross over-simplification).

I have also had better luck with ASIO on my (W7 based) office system, but funnily enough that's because WASAPI popped & clicked for me! I supposed it didn't really like my HRT Music Streamer 2 DAC.
  • As I say, it's early days.
    Haven't had much proper listening time of late.
    But early impressions are that asio just sounds more crystal clear.
    I'll try switching back and forth soon.
    By wasapi do you mean wasapi event style, or wasapi? To my ears event style is certainly better than ordinary wasapi.
    Usefully I don't really understand how any of them work or differ, so I don't think I'm being affected by the theoretical benefits.
  • I didn't know what WASAPI event style was, so I assumed it was just WASAPI....I use my windows 'puter with FOOBAR, so perhaps that limits my options somewhat.