Julian Siegel next Friday?

edited October 2011 in Live music
I don't know how many of you live within striking distance of Brighton, but I'm going to see Julian Siegel at the Brighton Jazz Club.

If you'd like to meet up, give me a shout.

Comments

• Won't be there, but I like the sentiment.
    Thanks Dave, keep 'em coming!
  • Cool Dave! Who is he?...

Enjoy it mate, I'll be moving.
  • He's a saxophone player. The link tells you all about the band.

And you've just answered my question about your move without me even asking it. You must be psychic!
  • Well, I went, and it was great! This was a much better gig than when I saw Siegel before with the dream-team rhythm section of Greg Cohen and Joey Baron. 

It could have been the setting. I saw the trio in Southampton, in a small concert hall designed for chamber music, while the quartet was in a far-from luxurious bar at the back of Komedia in Brighton (a good venue, actually. I'm, going back). Or it could have been that Liam Noble, Oli Hayhurst and Gene Calderazzo were a better match for Siegel, or even simply that I caught them on a night when in all caught fire. And catch fire they did. 

From a hi-fi POV, the interesting thing was the drum sound. Unamplified, unlike the saxes, piano, synth and bass, I sat near the front and got the pure, full force of the drum kit. Calderazzo was in amazing form, grinning like a loon and whacking the drums and cymbals LOUD. 

At home, I'm glad to say, if the recording's right I get a very similar experience.