New Albarry Moving Coil amp

edited November 2011 in Analogue
Hi fellas,
One of my cartridges is an Ortofon MC 30 super,a delicate and articulate cartridge but I have always found it to be weak in the bass and lacking in overall musical involvement, I have tried it with various pre-amps and had the same result.
However this weekend I was fortunate enough to evaluate the new Albarry MCA 11 head amp.
WOW!!! it's fantastic, this cartridge is delicate and articulate but now the bass is beautifully tuneful and totally musically involving, I was enjoying the music so much I was listening till 4am.
I hope the vinyl lovers will give yourselves the opportunity to hear this wonderful little box

Comments

• I wonder where all the vinyl fiends are?
  • hi chaps,
    i had read leo's post , went looking for info on the 'mca 11 phono stage' but could only find the same post on a few forums,
    i can only assume its not actually available yet, glad its bringing you happiness leo, have you tried it with any other 'fuller' sounding carts?
    cheers,
    matt
    :)
  • Hello Matt,
    You're quite right this is extremely new and dealers are only just becoming aware of it.
    As with all Albarry products it's beautifully designed and hand assembled by Neil Burnett.
    It's battery powered and will operate approximately 150 hours on one charge.
    It retails at £500 inc vat
    I have a few moving magnet and high output moving coil cartridges, but the MC 30 is the only moving coil I have working at the moment, I have an Ortofon SPU with a built in transformer and an SPU without, unfortunately they both need new cantilevers and styli and that's not cheap.

enjoy your music, best regards Alan
  • thanks for the info Alan, i will be keeping an eye out for it, i am planning on a new system next year after i have had a listen to the new Tellurium q amps and phono stage and if the price for the Albarry is correct then it will certainly be on the not so short 'short list' .
    all the best,
    matt
  • Is that going to be a complete 'out with the old, in with the new' exercise, Matt?
  • Hi Matt,
    As all the Albarry stuff is relatively new there are only a few dealers so far, I do believe when the imminent Hi-Fi +  review is released, that situation will change, but if you look on the Albarry website you may find a dealer near you.
    The MCA 11 phono stage is £500.  the AP 11 Pre-amp is currently £1,650. but will be going up-to  £1,950 after December 1st. the M608 Mono-bloc power amps remain at £2,550 per pair. IMHO these amps are unbeatable at the money.
    kind regards  Al
  • hey guys,
    thanks for the info Al,
    well Dave ,my system in the living room is now down to an old budget sony TAF 930b uk edition , kef q7 and a heavily modded rega p3 ,the plan is for a new amp (Tq hopefully) ,speakers (eminent lft16 ?) , phono stage (unknown) , diy TT and squeezebox touch with a dac , all hooked up with Tq cable, this will be for the living room ,should have it all sorted for this time next year.
     my old but oh so amazing re-capped Claymore amp , usher s520's , bk sub and systemdek IIX will stay in my bedroom system , so it will be a new system in the main room , all the old stuff can get relegated to my brother , thats the plan anyway!

:-? [-O<
  • It sounds like you're having fun, Matt! Enjoy yourself...

Hi Alan, where's ya been? Glad the Albarry stuff is doing it for you (I almost talked my mate into a recent P1 integrated on eBay recently - lovely looking thing). How come you get to hear the new Albarry gear before it's released then?
  • Hi Alan,
    I suppose I'm a bit typical, the dark nights draw me to listen to music more often, but this summer my oldest Son was married in Germany and my Daughter had her 1st baby boy and my youngest Son came from Australia so we were busy running about a lot

I haven't heard the P1 but I'm told it was a super amp
    Neil Burnett is a friend and we evaluate all his products on his system and then mine, to get a balanced view.
    He appreciates my honesty, because if I think something doesn't sound right or good enough, I'll tell him.

He is a University lecturer on Electronics and Mathematics and 30 years of knowledge and experience have gone into these new amplifiers.
    To be fair, Albarry's are designed and hand built in Britain, unlike many "British" brands that are now made in China.

Whilst I love Albarry products, because I think they are fast, dynamic,articulate and musically convincing, I can assure you I am not biased,there are other products I think are superbly involving, but usually a lot dearer.

I don't possess a CD player but I recently heard the Astin Trew  3500+ (£1,525.00) at the Audio Works, Cheadle and I thought it was so tuneful and very enjoyable, it looks well built and if I was in the market for a CD player I would have one.
    Nice to chat
    best regards  Al

• Sounds like you're onto a good thing Alan, I can understand your enthusiasm I think. Neil should offer you a job, I reckon!

Astin Trew do look interesting, there were two 3500+ players sold on wigwam last year. Supposedly a similar sound to Theta.